The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks,
I am into the second year of ownership of a 2005 Elise. The rear tyres are bald after one season. I live in Northern VA and am looking for a reputable shop that can mount and balance the tyres. I am interested in trying other (non-Yokohama) tyres, else I would get the AD07s from the dealership. The folks in Bethesda quoted $665 total out the door, which I think is a pretty good deal.
My question is, should I source the tyres from Mr. Tire, they include mounting and balancing too. Uncertain if I trust their balancing, but figured they know how to mount tyres. Then again, I do not know if they know how to lift the car...?
Thoughts, commentary and advice are greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Is it even remotely possible for you to lift the car yourself and just take the wheels in? We've all seen the photos and we all know how easy it is to drop the car off a lift if you don't know what you're doing.

At the very least, I would take off the engine access panel before driving it to the shop and mark the proper lifting points with bright tape so it's easier for the shop to understand how to lift it.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I recently went to discount tire and told them that they could not put the car on a lift. I brought a hockey puck along and showed them the middle jacking point. They had no problem doing 2 tires at a time and were careful.

Reactions: smahmud10
1 - 4 of 4 Posts