The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From F1 Live.com:

A new Formula One team is under wraps in America and set to be launched officially later this month, it is reportedon Wednesday.

The team, whose logo can be previewed at 'usf1.com', is fronted by F1 stalwart and broadcaster Peter Windsor, and American Ken Anderson, of IndyCar and NASCAR fame but also former Ligier Technical Director.

Briton Windsor, 56, has worked for Williams and Ferrari, but is best known today as a television pundit and writer.

The German website motorsport-total.com claims USF1 intends to make its Grand Prix debut in 2010, and already has the blessing of F1 Chief Executive Bernie Ecclestone.

The team will have the slogan 'Made In America' and be headquartered in the heart of NASCAR-country in Charlotte, North Carolina.

Reportedly, an agreement to use the new Windshear wind tunnel in North Carolina is already in place, while USF1 intends to be a showcase for American technology and US-born drivers.

·
Registered
156 Posts
This is great news for all U.S. Formula 1 fans. Hopefully this will also mean the return of the United States Grand Prix.

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
Bring them to Road America! :up:

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Great news, I hope it holds up and this actually happens.

Bummer though, that Peter Windsor would likely be a) way too busy and b)conflicted out for his current duties on the grid and in the paddock during the pre-race. I really enjoy watching his quick interviews up and down the grid just prior to the races.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Great news, I hope it holds up and this actually happens.

Bummer though, that Peter Windsor would likely be a) way too busy and b)conflicted out for his current duties on the grid and in the paddock during the pre-race. I really enjoy watching his quick interviews up and down the grid just prior to the races.
I met him last year in Monaco, he is a super nice guy too. More than willing to talk about all things F1.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Sorry to be a pessimist but unless you are a major company with many years of experience in Formula 1, you are going to be competing for the back row.

·
Registered
218 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,991 Posts
Sorry to be a pessimist but unless you are a major company with many years of experience in Formula 1, you are going to be competing for the back row.
Without knowing about their sponsors, I'm even more pessy than you.

Bernie's "blessing"? Must have been a tough decision. "Hmmmm....do I want an 8 car field or a 10 car field."

Now, if all US sports car enthusiats would come up w/$200 each.....

...........it would help.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Without knowing about their sponsors, I'm even more pessy than you.

Bernie's "blessing"? Must have been a tough decision. "Hmmmm....do I want an 8 car field or a 10 car field."

Now, if all US sports car enthusiats would come up w/$200 each.....

...........it would help.
rotfl

Finally you've proposed a tax I would willingly pay! :D

·
shay2nak
25,083 Posts
laguna seca! infineon!

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Would be nice, but neither has the required facilities and it would cost millions to make them F1-ready.
Infineon must be pretty close to meeting requirements? If it was still the old Sears Point, I'd agree with you, but lots has changed there since Infineon took over. Sound regs definitely wouldn't be an issue there.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Interesting, that domain name was registered in 2000! It is registered in NC. But something seems odd about this. I don't see the story on any other F1 sites yet either.

·
Registered
7,243 Posts
I remember David Hobbs suggesting Road Atlanta during some race on Speed. There are basically no existing facilities though.

I can't imagine anyone here being able to come up with the $$ and people to form a team in today's environment. But if the rules continue moving strongly towards standardization it would be a lot more feasible. But then teams might form from all over. Remember the Jamacian bobsled team?
:popcorn:

1 - 20 of 66 Posts