The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 2ZZ-GE engine in the Elise was designed/created by Yamaha, not Toyota.
It is the most recent in a series of Toyota performance engines created by Yamaha, the first of which being the 4A-GE which was directed to Formula Atlantic Racing.
(Anyone wishing to cancel their reservation should contact their dealer immediately.)

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
It's well-known that Yamaha created the 2zz-ge for Toyota. I don't see why that should be a deterrant? It's still a great engine!

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Since '91 have own a Toyota with the 3SGTE- Yamaha motor, looking forward to another. My understanding is any Toyota motor with the"E" is a Yamaha.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Hmmm...

Was the engine (heads) for the old Corvette ZR-1 designed by Lotus. Weren't the heads were manufactured by Mercury Outboard? Does that make the Corvette a boat?:huh:

Uh... Oh, never mind...rotfl

Tim Mullen

·
Registered
362 Posts
It's a joint project between Yamaha and Toyota, I believe Toyota is responsible for the short block. Yamaha has contributed similarly to many engines including the older Toyota stuff and the Taurus SHO (V6 and V8).

I don't believe the -E means Yamaha- the sister engine to the 2ZZ-GE, the 1ZZ-FE, is not Yamaha-related as far as I know. In the suffix, the meanings are:

G - performance
F - economy

T - turbo/supercharger

E - ??

so...

-GTE = performance turbo
-GE = performance
-FE = economy

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Quote"Does that make the Corvette a boat?"

Actually - yes - there was a Malibu ski boat Corvette powered:

The Malibu Corvette zips to 65 mph, thanks to a 400-hp 383-cu.-in. small-block V8 prepared by Corvette tuner Reeves Callaway and marinized by Indmar. Virtually every component that comes in contact with the water is stainless steel, including the V-drive, tracking fins, rudder and Malibu's unique trim plate. This hydraulically adjustable plate is recessed into the hull near the stern and adjusts down to flatten the wake for smoother skiing. What about the future? Malibu is already planning another Limited Edition, this one styled like the all-new 1997 Corvette C5 you see on the cover of this issue.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My attempt to get the 11 ahead of me to cancel their reservations is not being helped with all this info pointing out how good Yamaha engines are. Thanks for nothing, all you 'motor-mouths'!

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Ridge- didn't help mentioning the first one was used in racing. With the 3SGTE (2 liter) it's common for someone to reliably run double the horse power with stock internals -400hp. Top dog in the States has broken 600rWHP. :eek:

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
LarryB said:
Ridge- didn't help mentioning the first one was used in racing. With the 3SGTE (2 liter) it's common for someone to reliably run double the horse power with stock internals -400hp. Top dog in the States has broken 600rWHP. :eek:
Just thought that New Englanders might be swayed enough to
go buy a Honda S2000 instead. Maybe we could tell them that they are really getting a scaled down version of Honda's
racing technology by switching......and and not a 'bicycle (engine) built for two!'

·
Registered
40 Posts
Doesn't Toyota own almost all or all of Yamaha? So really it is a division of Toyota that designs high performance engines (Yamaha does have alot of experiance building small high revving motors).

·
Registered
19 Posts
It's funny how engine technology spreads. I beleive the Toyota 4A was based on a ford / cosworth motor. The engine in the SVT Contour is also partialy designed by yamaha, if im correct. And ofcourse the 2ZZ says yamaha on the head.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Ivan1's info on the Corvette-powered boat reminded me:

The term "Corvette" actually IS a type of boat. I think it was/is a type of small warship (at least in the era of sail). Slightly smaller than a frigate (did I spell that right?)

Just a bit of trivia while we wait...

·
Registered
19 Posts
I forgot to mention. In my celica, if you look at the head of the engine on the side where the accessory belt is you can see the yamaha lettering printed there. Kinda interesting to look under the hood of your toyota and see "YAMAHA".

1 - 20 of 23 Posts