The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
"This is historic news," Maussan told reporters. "Hundreds of videos (of UFOs) exist, but none had the backing of the armed forces of any country. ... The armed forces don't perpetuate frauds."

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Dunno... I kinda think they're out there...

You guys might think I'm wacky, but years ago, my ex-girlfriend and I were up in Mammoth Mountain on a summer night. We were watching the stars of the Milky Way above us. (It's a beautiful sight at 8,800 feet! It's so clear and you can see millions of stars and this white band go across the sky.)

As we were watching stars, we saw a satellite go across the sky. It was moving across the sky quickly and in a straight line, so we knew it was a satellite. Or maybe the Space Shuttle. But it was something.

Then we watched one satellite move across the sky... and then it stopped for a couple of seconds, then sped off at a 90 degree trajectory from the path it was originally taking! :eek: Seriously! No lie!

I don't know what it was... but I can't help but think it was a UFO...

Bob

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Perception of reality is not always an indicator of reality. It is only an indicator of perception, which in itself is flawed. That's not to say that I don't believe in "alien" life, but it is to say that I am suspicious in believing anyone's perceived notion of reality - whether that pertains to UFOs or Iraq or movie reviews.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
transio said:
Perception of reality is not always an indicator of reality. It is only an indicator of perception, which in itself is flawed. That's not to say that I don't believe in "alien" life, but it is to say that I am suspicious in believing anyone's perceived notion of reality - whether that pertains to UFOs or Iraq or movie reviews.
:huh: :huh: :huh:

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Re: Dunno... I kinda think they're out there...

rtking said:

Then we watched one satellite move across the sky... and then it stopped for a couple of seconds, then sped off at a 90 degree trajectory from the path it was originally taking! :eek: Seriously! No lie!

I don't know what it was... but I can't help but think it was a UFO...

Bob
rtking,
A couple of things: That white band going across the sky is the Milky Way galaxy of which we are a part. (Not trying to patronize, but I don't know how much of this you know) The MW is a relatively flat "disk" shaped kind of like a hurricane and when you see that band, you are looking edge-on into the galaxy. We are a "speck of matter" in that disk (which takes light about 50 years to cross end to end) .

There is more junk up in space than you would believe. A lot of the junk is very reflective and can look like satellites. This junk often collides with other junk that might not be as reflective and the visible junk could appear to change direction after the collision. These types of collisions happen all the time, it's just that people are rarely at a high enough altitude to see them, and people rarely look up!

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
Originally posted by _JD_
rtking,
A couple of things: That white band going across the sky is the Milky Way galaxy of which we are a part. (Not trying to patronize, but I don't know how much of this you know) The MW is a relatively flat "disk" shaped kind of like a hurricane and when you see that band, you are looking edge-on into the galaxy. We are a "speck of matter" in that disk (which takes light about 50 years to cross end to end) .

There is more junk up in space than you would believe. A lot of the junk is very reflective and can look like satellites. This junk often collides with other junk that might not be as reflective and the visible junk could appear to change direction after the collision. These types of collisions happen all the time, it's just that people are rarely at a high enough altitude to see them, and people rarely look up!
_JD_, you sound like Dana Scully. LOL!

It takes light 100,000 years to go from one end of the milky way to the other not 50 years. ;)

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
shay2nak said:
_JD_, you sound like Dana Scully. LOL!

It takes light 100,000 years to go from one end of the milky way to the other not 50 years. ;)
I was only 99,950 light years off dude, give me a freaking break!:D

Those numbers are mind numbing! Thanks shay.

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
UFO - unidentified flying object.

This has come to be understood as "flying saucer" or other extraterrestrial vehicle/entity. But really a UFO is simply an object for which the observer currently has no explanation.

My father-in-law was a navigator for the Air Force. He told me that years ago (probably early/mid '60's not at all sure), they were flying their B-52 at very high altitude, and they spotted some sort of craft quite a bit higher and flying much faster than them. They "knew" their wasn't anything that the U.S. or Soviets had that could move like that or fly that high, and so they declared an Unidentified Flying Object to their controller on the ground. He thanked them for their report and nothing more was said. Of course several years later when the existance of the SR-71 surveillance aircraft was acknowledged by the military, it all became clear. But at that time very few people had a "need to know" of the existence of such a thing. Just some food for thought.

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
originally posted by mikester
Of course several years later when the existance of the SR-71 surveillance aircraft was acknowledged by the military, it all became clear. But at that time very few people had a "need to know" of the existence of such a thing. Just some food for thought.
cool story, how did your father-in-;aw know that the craft he saw was indeed an SR-71? Was he able to crossreference mission dates or something?

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Originally posted by _JD_:
A couple of things: That white band going across the sky is the Milky Way galaxy of which we are a part.
No worries, JD... I took no offense. I know we're in the Milky Way galaxy and that was the Milky Way overhead. Just us city folk never get to see it due to the brilliance of our city lights reflecting upon the water vapor in our atmosphere. I was a huge astronomy nut as a kid and still have my Celestron 8 to prove it! :p

Bob

P.S. Gotta love the SR-71. My dad worked at Lockheed in Burbank, CA and we always got invited to employee shows in the desert. It was an absolute treat to see it in person!

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Well, if there are "visitors" from other planets or the future I can assume they are quite advanced so will someone answer the question from the video store guy in Men in Black II "what is with anal probing?"

·
Registered
963 Posts
zOOmz said:
Uh yeah, I came in on one. :p

Actually, UFO's that contain intelligent life from somewhere other than Earth? No, not at all.

I had a science fiction moment once and came up with a cool idea that those little gray large black eyed aliens were actually our own descendents coming back to investigate us. (or possibly space tolerant drones). We have always been fixated on the past so that we can know more about who we are and why we do the things that we do, so it makes sense that in the distant future (if the human race survives and evolves) we will have the same curiousities. It also makes sense that in the future we develop a way to go back in time, and we would be careful not to interfere (so not to change their future) and just take specimens and test them under drug induced amnesia and even come back to the same people through the years for developments and measurements.
So actually, they are not extraterrestrials, but future terrestrials..

:D

This science fiction moment brought to you by..

zOOmz
hehe
I've actually thought about that exact same thing! No joke, how odd is that! :eek:

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
Originally posted by zOOmz
I had a science fiction moment once and came up with a cool idea that those little gray large black eyed aliens were actually our own descendents coming back to investigate us. (or possibly space tolerant drones). We have always been fixated on the past so that we can know more about who we are and why we do the things that we do, so it makes sense that in the distant future (if the human race survives and evolves) we will have the same curiousities. It also makes sense that in the future we develop a way to go back in time, and we would be careful not to interfere (so not to change their future) and just take specimens and test them under drug induced amnesia and even come back to the same people through the years for developments and measurements.
I was thinking the same thing. Tidalwave and I agree that your explanation is very possible. Just as possible for beings to travel thousands of light years away to visit Earth. I had this idea way back when The X-Files movie came out. Remember how the season ending episode tied a bit into the movie? It was about that hybrid kid with glasses and a slightly big head that could read peoples minds. The episode started off with him playing chess in an arena and the episode ended with him locked in a room with an alien who was chilling in the reactor coolant. After a few moments the alien shook off its skin and went from a menacing looking creature to those smaller, big-headed ones. It looked like the kid. So from then I was thinking, hey if they look alike maybe they are not extraterrestrial but intraterrestrial. They are humans who have evolved over who knows how many years and we eventually found some sort of time travel. Pretty crazy stuff. But hey, I've learned that any thing is possible and that nothing surprises me anymore.

Wow, zOOmz, you actually know someone who claims to have been abducted? She must have some crazy stories.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
When I was about 12 ( I am now 32) I was lying in bed looking out the window when two lights slowly moved across the sky keeping equal distance. They stopped and hovered for a bit, then they crossed each others paths and switched positions, then hovered a bit again and then shot straight up into the sky at a high rate of speed. I never heard anything about it, but was strange for sure. [twiglight zone music plays in the background]

I have always believed that there must be other civilizations out there, some more advanced than us and some less advanced
During a bit of an anthropology discussion with a psychology proffessor once, she had an interesting theory; If you compare the features of an Asian, which arguably could be the most evolved of the human race- the larger skull that goes down to a narrow jawline ( a funtion of higher brain power and a more vegetarian diet), slanted dark eyes, etc. to the features of the drawings of people who claim to have seen alien beings with an even bigger skull to a narrow jawline and slanted dark eyse, etc- perhaps these alien beings are in fact, a future evolution of the human race.
food for thought

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
Wow, sounds like many people have seen some sort of UFO or know someone who has. Personally I have never seen anything of the sort. Nor do I know someone who has.

It would be interesting to find out how many people in the US have at least seen a UFO shooting around. Seems from what you guys have posted here that it could be pretty high, like 20% or something.

I'm sure all of us could spend a lifetime arguing about who these aliens actually are. That's what I like about astronomy, there is nothing boring about this subject, everything is just so foreign to us about the universe even though we've learned a lot in a relatively short amount of time.

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
mopho said:
If you compare the features of an Asian, which arguably could be the most evolved of the human race- the larger skull that goes down to a narrow jawline ( a funtion of higher brain power and a more vegetarian diet), slanted dark eyes, etc. to the features of the drawings of people who claim to have seen alien beings with an even bigger skull to a narrow jawline and slanted dark eyse, etc- perhaps these alien beings are in fact, a future evolution of the human race.
food for thought
That makes no sense to me at all. Physical evolution is a result of environmental conditioning and as a result of Darwinian evolution as applicable to beauty. The possibility that Asians are "more evolved" intellectually has absolutely no bearing upon their physical appearance. A creature could theoretically look like a chimp and have higher intelligence than humans. The fact that aliens are perceived to look most similar to Asians is meaningless, as are any assertions based upon that perception.

This also raises question for me... what does "more evolved" mean to you, exactly? Is higher intelligence an indicator of evolution? Physical appearance? Please explain.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
rtking said:
was a huge astronomy nut as a kid and still have my Celestron 8 to prove it! :p
Bob, and anyone else interested in or amazed by astronomy, check out the Astronomy Picture of the Day hosted by this NASA web site:

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html

Every day a new and usually amazing picture is presented. There are backward/forward scanning controls (not the browser controls) so you can go back and see those Pictures of the Day from way back.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts