The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last weekend a buddy and I went to a local bar to catch the Mayweather fight. We were looking for a parking space. The lot was packed, so we circled a couple times. Had the windows up, AC on, and "Shut it Down" by Devil You Know playing:cool:. Not blaring, but loud enough to rock out without cracking the stock speakers lol. All the while, people in the lot and patio area were staring at the Elise. I’m pretty used to this by now, but a few people were pointing with smiles on their faces. As I pull into a parking spot, I turn down the music, and my buddy opens his door, just to make sure I’m not too close to the line. That’s when I hear it. The squeal of the serpentine belt. And I realize that the smiling people were actually laughing. :facepalm Embarrassing as hell:eek:. Luckily nobody mentioned it, but I was prepared with a few comebacks just in case lol:rolleyes:. But from what I can tell, that belt looks like a complete pain in the ass to change.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
replacing the belt by itself isn't much of a problem (I changed mine when I removed the AC)

but if you plan on changing the tensioner as well then it becomes a bit tricky due to tight clearance

·
Tire abuser
773 Posts
But from what I can tell, that belt looks like a complete pain in the ass to change.
Like most things... practice helps. The first time is pain, but it gets easier. I have had the belt off several times now and it might take me 15 minutes to change one now, but probably less.

Taking the RR wheel arch liner out does give you a better view but it is not necessary. You do need the 6 pt 19mm socket AND a ratchet handle that is not too thick. There is not a lot of room between the idler hex and the frame. My Craftsman 3/8 drive works fine with a cheater on it.

It is not a bad idea to snap a pic of the belt routing before taking the old one off. It just keeps you from getting confused later. An extra set of hands on the top side can be helpful when putting the new one back on. have fun.

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
Use a serpentine belt changing tool kit. Mine if from MAC I believe. It has different length bars and offsets, makes it pretty easy to get off.

Make sure you take several snapshots of the way the belt is routed. You will NOT remember it! -eek-

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, I'll order a belt, and attempt to do it when it arrives. Been driving my DD since then, so it's been out of mind. But as the weekend draws near I'm like "oh yeah, the belt dammit!!"

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
P.S. I have yet to see a belt fail & make noise... make sure you don't have a frozen accessory of some sort or oil / antifreeze spraying on the belt causing the slip.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here is a much easier way of compressing the tensioner. (Not my idea; unfortunately I can't remember who posted it first.)

It's a huge advantage to have both hands free while threading the new belt on.

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/2422978-post29.html
Lol, at first I was like “Take the clam off??!! How the hell is that an easier way??” But now I see what you did. That will help, Thanks!!!

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
P.S. I have yet to see a belt fail & make noise... make sure you don't have a frozen accessory of some sort or oil / antifreeze spraying on the belt causing the slip.
That’s true, too. My DD Beemer developed a squeal shortly after I bought it. I was given paperwork showing that the belt had just been changed. My neighbor told me that something may have leaked on it, and advised that I put talcum powder on it to dry it up. Reluctantly I did, and the squealing stopped. It’s been over six months, and still no squeal. I didn’t want to try this with the Elise, though. Figured it’s better to go ahead and change it since unlike my Beemer, the Elise is a keeper;). I will double check for leaks when I get home though.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Like most things... practice helps. The first time is pain, but it gets easier. I have had the belt off several times now and it might take me 15 minutes to change one now, but probably less.
Yep daunting the first time, piece of cake after that.

·
Registered
25 Posts
FWIW--I had an embarrassing squeal at idle for quite a while after I bought my Elise and couldn't track it down. I tried changing the serpentine belt but still had the squeal. I thought it might be the idler pulley, and was about to order one, when I noticed something while I had the diffuser off. There was a hairline crack in the flange that attaches the exhaust manifold to the stay (see circled area below and picture)
ImageUploadedByAG Free1399761469.414881.jpg
ImageUploadedByAG Free1399761484.786084.jpg
To check and see if that could be the culprit, I loosened the bolt, rotated the flange down, and tightened the bolt (looks like it had been cracked for some time and may have been fixed once before).
ImageUploadedByAG Free1399761581.732572.jpg
I started the engine--squeal gone! Worth taking a look.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 14 of 14 Posts