The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 40 of 92 Posts

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
>>Wow. Where's that thread on the air horns? And how can you mount one on the rear valence facing backwards?<<

Our horn is not very loud or effective. We need a serious horn on our cars!

·
Registered
364 Posts
Sorry to read this. Sad how people just don't look where they are going. What if a kid had been standing where your car was sitting?

·
Registered
63 Posts
FWIW, I have been car shopping for a new daily drive while I wait the delivery of my Elise. I noticed an option on many new cars & SUV's are those backup sensors to alert the driver they are close to hitting an object. Anybody have any experience with those things? Maybe they need to be mandatory on SUV's. After all, I read here the law required the boot release on the Elise.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
GatorFL said:
I noticed an option on many new cars & SUV's are those backup sensors to alert the driver they are close to hitting an object. Anybody have any experience with those things?
I don't know if those parking sensors are 100% reliable. I think Transio has an incident a few months ago. I think if they are too high or maybe even dirty, their effectiveness is reduce.

With two Elises accidents (Camry hit my Elise thread) and now Surferjet's, I'm begining to think I'm going to need a beater car - and limit the usage of my Elise.

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
I think I would get high blood pressure if this car was a daily driver or my only car. You really cant just take it anywhere without great risk. Selective driving is the only way you can protect this car from the animals.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Things like this, OFL's recent problems, and other stories are the reasons I decided to keep my current car as a daily driver and drive the Elise when I don't need to park it.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I agree on the selective driving point by 1FASTMX5,

I have been wanting to take the Elise out everyday but It really isn't safe for parking at malls or the street so I just drive it when I know parking won't be a problem.

I am expecting the 139db horn I bought and hope it'll help with.

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
Damn... sorry to hear about your encounter with a moron. I have a feeling it's going to be hard to avoid a similar situation once I have my car here in Chicago :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
A while back, I jokingly suggested flags that attached to the front or back of the Elise.

In lieu of that, how above some road chocks (I'm not sure if that's the right word), which we would put behind or in front of our cars. If someone is about to hit our cars, they would first hit the chock. I thought of using bricks but that would be too conspicuous and I'd probably find it through my windshield, but how about a triangular shape wedge made of a clear, hard plastic?

·
Registered
368 Posts
mokos thought of the day

just a thought and no offense to anyone. everybody knows that the Elise is an impractical car. one thing that makes it that way is b/c it's so freakin low and small. it's also cool b/c of that, but anyways. impractical cars will require impractical measures to protect the car (e.g. cameras, cones, flags) or we can just live with it even though it sux. sh1t happens pretty often :( when i get my own elise (....dunno when that is yet as i haven't even placed a deposit) i'll just do my best to live with the pain of getting bumped or backed into. I'll try to avoid those problems but if it happens it happens. of course i'd be pissed at first but hey people out there can be stupid and the elise IS an impractical car, especially for streets, parking lots, and people with arthritis.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I have to say that I've reconsidered making my Elise a daily driver. But while this sucks, it will be fixed next week and all will be okay. AND I've gotten to enjoy my car for 6,000 miles plus already, every day, so things will happen. I think I'll stick to my plan.

If I can escape PA in the next year, that will help too. Wife has an opportunity in Sonoma Valley-anyone know anything about the area (other than it's not far from San Fran and the ocean)?

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Any pictures of the damage Jer? I'm trying to get an idea of what sort of damage to expect from different kinds of impacts.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I'll post some. I haven't taken any yet. It's painful to look at, but really it's not so bad. It's just that less than perfection on this car is really, really painful. I'm surprised that the dealer is talking about a new backend instead of fixing this one given the damages; however, since it's not on my dime, a new backend sounds great. All the other imperfections can be removed, too (scratches, chips)

I promise pics soon.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
I'm really sorry that this has happened to you. I think it's great news that they're talking about a new clam. If they do replace the clam you should consider keeping the old one. I'm sure that it would have some value to others on here if it is only a small crack. You could also build the custom Elise autox trailer of doom! But that would be quite a bit of work.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Actually the guy at the shop told me I could have the old clam. I don't know what I'd do with it, but...

He also gave me a huge banner that is made to take a beating in a wind. It has the Rothrock logo on the left 1/4, and the big L O T U S with the logo in the proper colors on the rest of it. Stan would love it! Guess I'll fly it at the autoX on Sunday. Mybe i can talk to Rothrock about a sponsership deal ;)

·
Registered
368 Posts
Surferjer said:
AND I've gotten to enjoy my car for 6,000 miles plus already, every day, so things will happen. I think I'll stick to my plan.
:clap:

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Surferjer said:
Wife has an opportunity in Sonoma Valley-anyone know anything about the area (other than it's not far from San Fran and the ocean)?
Close enough to the city to take advantage of SF, but quite a rural area. Lots of wineries, but not quite as popular with tourists yet as Napa Valley. Hot and dry much of the year.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Hot and dry---no top necessary! :D

If we move there, I'll sell my hardtop!

·
Banned
338 Posts
It's going to be my daily driver.....I am not going to

....let other poor or inconsiderate drivers stop me from enjoying my new ride. Spend over $43,000 dollars to have it sit in the garage, when I could be enjoying every minute behind the wheel??? I think not.
All you have to do is use a little common sense when you are parking the machine. So it might mean walking a little further, big deal. That's why North Americans are all getting so fatt. Because we want to park as close as possible, and hopefully use an escalator if possible.
Just think of the Elise as part of your new work out program. Getting more exercise is just a bonus to the car.

·
Registered
79 Posts
So sorry to hear about your hit and run. I had my front reglassed an itcost me 1000 plus the clear bra.

I always try to be the first car when i park on the street., I f I am in a parking lot, I 'll make sure the Elise if facing the front of the other car.

bert

21 - 40 of 92 Posts