The Lotus Cars Community banner

41 - 60 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
The new back clam is $2700. yikes! Another thing I've figured out to save this car is to always back into parking spots. Every time I back out I'm blind-it's so hard to see what's behind you. It's a matter or time befire I hit someone else! If I leave facing forward, I'll have a full range of vision. :cool:

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
BTW in the "Lotus Elise The Official Story Special Edition" they talk about the composite bodywork. They say that the rear clam, bare, weighs only 28.6 pounds and is the single heaviest body panel. The front clam weighs about 22 pounds and the front crash structure is 19.8 pounds. Lessee when the front clam is painted, this adds about 1.8 more pounds... Those are S1 figures, but the idea is that this stuff is not heavy.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Wait until the insurance companies start getting claims for these types of things. $2700+ for a fender bender = rates going up, up, up!!

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
You're exactly right, Meat. The cost of Elise ownership will rise.

Stan-if the panels are that light, I'll definitely keep the old one. Shari already said I should keep the od clam and store it. I guess I'll have to modify my brewery room into a parts room, too!

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Oh well, price of admission. Luckily USAA doesn't use the standard tables to computate insurance rate but rather claim rates made from within the USAA insured pool
Chris

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
zvezdah1 said:
Oh well, price of admission. Luckily USAA doesn't use the standard tables to computate insurance rate but rather claim rates made from within the USAA insured pool
Chris
Ooh, That makes two of us at USAA. Let me know if you make a claim, and I'll do the same. :) You'll have a 5 months head start on me ( I hope no longer than that -- my car is slated for build in a few weeks).

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
samberken said:
I always try to be the first car when i park on the street., I f I am in a parking lot, I 'll make sure the Elise if facing the front of the other car.bert
I think Bert has a point. If you're in a parking lot and the front of the Elise is facing the rear of other cars (head-out parking), I think you're chances of getting run into are greater because the front end of the Elise is several inches lower than the rear.

Incidentally, a Chevy sales person once showed me a parking trick that helps prevent door dings. What he did was park the car slightly diagionally WITHIN my parking space. The front of the car was pointing to the right. This created the maximum amount of space between my car and the doors of the cars that parked to the right and left of you. With the Elise being shorter and narrower than an average car (and not to mention we need to open the door wide to get in over the sills, I think this may really work.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
sonoma

Surferjer said:
I have to say that I've reconsidered making my Elise a daily driver. But while this sucks, it will be fixed next week and all will be okay. AND I've gotten to enjoy my car for 6,000 miles plus already, every day, so things will happen. I think I'll stick to my plan.

If I can escape PA in the next year, that will help too. Wife has an opportunity in Sonoma Valley-anyone know anything about the area (other than it's not far from San Fran and the ocean)?
the sonoma valley area is beautiful! not as popular as Napa, but that's a good thing. I live in SF and if I could I would love to live in Sonoma Valley.

the housing prices are still reasonable compared to the bay area/ peninsula. the air is clean and the scenery beautiful. nice people, better weather and a more laid back atmosphere compared to City living too.

do it!

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Thanks Raggedy1. It sounds like they'll fly us out for a review of the area. Sounds nice, and I have a wetsuit so I'd be only an hour from surfing the tasty waves of the Pacific! Surfing and racing in the same area-nivana! At least I hope there's some racing in NoCal???:confused:

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Color me naive. I really didn't know what part of CA those places are! Is there SCCA Solo 2 racing?

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Surferjer said:
Thanks Raggedy1. It sounds like they'll fly us out for a review of the area. Sounds nice, and I have a wetsuit so I'd be only an hour from surfing the tasty waves of the Pacific! Surfing and racing in the same area-nivana! At least I hope there's some racing in NoCal???:confused:
yes, there is great surfing available in the area (according to my friends who surf), but beware of the Great White Shark! There was an incident a few weeks ago where a surfer was bit and released.
It seems every year there is at least one incident. :eek:

I'm a diver but only in tropical waters. I've encountered plenty of reef sharks and have seen a bull shark in the distance (thank God). I wouldn't want to be face to face with a Great White!

As for racing, there is plenty available, both track and autoX. I have a friend who started in AutoX and has moved onto track events. He races at Sears Point (now called Infineon), Thunder Hill in Sacramento area, and Laguna Seca (about 1hr 45min from SF).

It truly is a beautiful area. It is about 1 hr (give or take a few minutes and depending on how far in you go) from SF. You cross the Golden Gate Bridge and go north from SF to get to napa/sonoma. You can also take a more roundabout route over the Bay Bridge going northeast, but it's a longer ride and not nearly as scenic; I have no desire to live in the east bay as traffic is horrific.

The north bay is beautiful as i've already stated. the 5 dollar toll from the north bay back to SF over the Golden Gate is a killer! the north bay is typically warm in the day and cool at night. they do get more rain than SF during the winter, but the warm daytime temperatures more than make up for the rain differential. SF is shrouded in overcast or fog many days. Sometimes the Sunset/Richmond districts (near the beach) literally won't see the sun for weeks!!!!

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
Raggedy is 100% correct, but of course my opinion is biased. :)

The Napa/Sonoma area is surrounded by Lotus roads. Living there with a Lotus would be very fun!

The GGLC is based in the Bay Area and presents 6-8 Lotus track days a year. Next year most of these will be co-presented by Club111! Of course there are lots of other track days by the BMW, Porsche, Cobra, NASA, Green Flag and other organizations.

NorCal has been a hot bed for SCCA SoloII. The SF Region is the home of many, many National Champs and there's an event about every 2 weeks from Feb/Mar thru Nov. http://www.sfrscca.org/solo2/

Let us know what happens!
Kiyoshi

·
Registered
91 Posts
Surferjer,

Sorry to hear about the fender bender. My head hurt just reading about it! KOP and Exton are so congested! Glad to hear at least it's being taken care of. Also happy to hear you're enjoying your car with 6k miles!

Hope to see you around!

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
the crack is about 16 inches along, hence all the talk of replacing the backend.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
diffuser and grill damage, too. It looks somewhat harmless from a distance. The closer you get, the more damage you realize exists. This is a 5 MPH accident.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
I'm still racing her this weekend. Screw it. It goes in Monday to be fixed. Liz will be good as new in no time.

·
Registered
5,167 Posts
So is it a done deal that you need a need clam or can that be patched up? Anyway, let us know of the final bill.

41 - 60 of 92 Posts