The Lotus Cars Community banner

61 - 80 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
It will be a fight between the insurance company and the Rothrock body shop. I'm not concerned, really, either way as long as it's fixed. The body shop is recommending a new back clam. We'll know on Monday.

I'll try to get a total for y'all.

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
You know....if I had to do the repair myself at my own cost....it kinda looks like you can do the whole thing with the clam still in place. I'm assuming that the damage is localized. The diffuser and grill might be bendable back to shape. Aluminum can be worked more than can steel and neither panel is load bearing. With the diffuser, grill and exhaust out of the car it appears that you can get to all of damage from behind for repair purposes. If so then that's what I'd do. It's apparently a bit of a pain to get new clams lined up perfectly as they are shimmed in place and locals don't know all the secrets like the factory boys.

I've seen worse 5 MPH damage. Cars only need a 2.5 MPH bumper these days and often a 2.5 MPH hit leaves the bumper okay but the plastic surface is messed up. I'm not sure what the rules are for trucks as far as bumpers go. I think that part of what Lotus has to do for the next "World" Elise is have higher, stronger bumpers meeting some height minimums. That's part of why the front will look so different.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Stan said:
I've seen worse 5 MPH damage. Cars only need a 2.5 MPH bumper these days and often a 2.5 MPH hit leaves the bumper okay but the plastic surface is messed up. I'm not sure what the rules are for trucks as far as bumpers go.
There are no rules for trucks. They can have big strong bumpers that can crack small Lotus.

Even on a normal car, a 5 MPH hit can cause thousands of dollars of damage. That's one of the reasons that Lotus received the waiver - the cost of repairing a typical luxury car and the Elise are in the same range...

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Stan, I tend to agree with you, if one knows how to to do body and paint work. Certainly I could fix the diffuser and the grill, and the fiberglass is all easily reachable as you noted. Doing the bodywork, though, is beyond me. If you had a buddy who did fiberglass work, this would be a snap. As it is, Rothrock is doing mine.

After I win powerball I'll have to learn to do bodywork, too. :D

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Surfer, It really doesn't look that bad. If the insurance bulks at replacing the entire clam I would go with Stans' sugestions and fix the clam without removing it. Take it from me, no one at the body shop has gone to Lotus for training on how to remove and replace the clams and even the mechanics who did only did it once in a group of mechanics so in essence nobody has ever done the job in the US.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Jerry 2 things.

1) the only place to get your car fixed is at a shop in K.O.P.. people from all over the country take their ferrari's and lotus's there.

2) instead of doing 125 on the A.C., paint your garage.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·

1)-do you remember the name of the shop? For future reference, I think I'll let the dealer handle it this time since they got the parts in stock and are set to go on Monday.

2)-Painting the garage is a great idea. I'll do that, perhaps, while the car is in the shop :) It is quite ugly, but I've just always had bigger fish to fry.

I think I'll shoot for 135 next time I go to AC ;)

·
Registered
350 Posts
The shop is karaserie. They work on cars you could only dream of. The owner (steve) owns a Lotus or two. I took my '89 Porsche there. Just a warning- price are about twice what you would pay some where else.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I'd keep the clam and either fix it or simply hold on to it for couple of years....It'll come in handy for someone, especially as the damage is low and masked by the seam..

The damage is really low down.... I expected the hit to happen a tail light height.
Stan,
I believe these panels are lighter than the S1 items . I read it in one of the 3 books I have on the Elise.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
911-I'm pretty sure the paying insurance company would balk at going to a really, really expensive place. But it's good to have the name. Thanks!

I will keep the clam, I think ,if I can find a way to get it home. The damage is low, and not terribly noticeable. A fix down there wouldn't have to be absolutely perfect to suffice, I suppose.

·
Registered
91 Posts
You can see Karosserie from the turnpike. I think the owner has a Ferrari Challenge car. I've never been there, but their website has some incredible cars they've worked on! I especially like the BMW 507. A friend of mine in The Netherlands said that Karosserie is a Dutch or German word for body repair.
http://www.karosserie.com/

Surferjer
You do realize that you may very well be the first person to have a "accident" with an Elise in the US?

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
nxm150 said:
Actually, ntflblueliz is the first person to come forward. Others might have had an accident before him and not posted it.
Since mid- August, I think there have been 3 significant Elise accidents posted on Elisetalk. (Camry incident, the backing up SUV, and the reversing SUV).

I think there have been about two or three less serious posts about serious scrapping on the lower part of the clam shell, and one mis-guided parking cone. Thankfully, I don't think there have been any posts of vandalism or any serious injuries.

These are just off the top of my head, I'm not keeping any official record of these things.

Morale of the story: Size is an issue that we need to watch out for and also watch out abrupt changes in street inclines.

·
Banned
270 Posts
Surfer,
I don't know of many surfers who aren't at least a little familiar with fiberglass repair, dinged boards, busted boards, etc. When your insurance company gets the claim you can bet that your rate will go up. And all this talk of driving in Northern California is really starting to tick me off. I used to drive my 64 Elan on Highway 1, 17, and Skyline all the time. My Elise will be here next week, hell, on Maui there really is nowhere to go. That is why I paddle a lot.
Don't give up your brewspace, that would be sinful.

Aloha,

Thomas Praetzel

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
Thomas-luckily it's not MY insurance that's paying! At least my accident was of the 5 MPH variety, too! I'd sayn the first real big accident is being discussed right now on another thread-Storm Titanium.

And congrats-you met your 1st surfer who doesn't know diddley about fiberglass work. Because I lived in Denver for years, I never owned a board until I moved here-just rented or borrowed. Now I have boards, but the waves suck here, so they haven't been to the ocean all that much. One hangs in my office at work (see below).

The roads are limited on Maui, but couldn't you do some spirited driving on the Hana Highway, or are there too many tourists?

Attachments

·
Banned
270 Posts
Surfer,
I was a subcontractor on the Hana fire station a few years ago, slowest time from Hana to Hookipa was around 2 hours, someone about 80 or so cars ahead was doing a steady 15 to 20 mph. So I started driving out there at night, will do that with the Elise, you can really get on it as there is no traffic, except for the dreaded Ritos Express truck, his record from Hana to Kahului, at night, is 50 minutes, says he can drive that road with his eyes closed.
If your going to surf Northern California, try county line, its in south Half Moon Bay, great right break in the winter.
Don't give up your brewspace, I've got a Christmas Ale bubbling away as we speak, with a special locally grown addition in replacement of the traditional Cascade finishing hops.
Is Klasse Sealent recommended for use on the Elise. When mine gets here, off the barge, it will require a major cleaning, salt spray, etc.

Aloha,

Thomas Praetzel

·
Registered
91 Posts
Surferjer
Cool boards! I surfed alot on Cocoa and New Smyrna Beaches in Florida. Sold my board though and no, I never fixed any of my dings in the board.

Also, I drove the Hana Highway (yes, I was one of those tourists in a Chevy Malibu). During the day there's WAY too many cars on there to have any fun. Maybe a couple of places could be fun, but more than likely it'd be too frustrating. Many single lane passes also. If I'd have to venture a guess, around 2 or 3 am would be a good time to have fun on that road.

61 - 80 of 92 Posts