The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done the deer thing in a Sebring, and had a deer near-miss in the Elise. But yesterday I finally hit something in the Elise---a goose. The damned things walk around like their sh*t don't stink, and one finally paid the price. I came around a twistie corner and there were a flock waddling across the road. Slamming on the binders, abs kicked in and I decelerated, but not fast enough. My passenger front corner went up and then down. One damned goose ran right into my path of avoidance, and I nailed it. Surprisingly, there was only some light starshield damage and a white powdery coating on the car. The suspension looks and feels fine, but the goose was not fine. :( Now, I hate geese, but I'm still not happy about nailing one.

They were lucky-if I had been in my truck, I could not have stopped/swerved nearly as fast, and might have gotten 4 or 5 of them. Stupid geese. What have you guys hit?

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I hit a flock of these last weekend. :no:

Didn't seem to bother them, they bounced right back...:D

Regards,
Wayne

Attachments

·
Registered
526 Posts
I have hit a lot of mosquitoes... but here in Michigan they could be as big as some small animals. At least it seems like it. I did just miss a rather large rabbit the other day. I saw him dart out and I heard a small thump. I looked in the rear view and he was wandering around in the road still alive. I guess he was just fast enough to escape. No damage to the Elise

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I decapitated a squirrel once with the splitter. I saw him in the road so I swerved to try to go right over him. I figured if he stayed down, the lotus wasn't SO low that it'd hit him....the dumb thing decided to stand up as I was about to pass over him. Saw a body fall over with the head bouncing away. :eek:

·
Registered
138 Posts
I hit a dog, stopped enough not to kill the dog, but not enough to kill my front clam. Dog lived and ran away.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I decapitated a squirrel once with the splitter. I saw him in the road so I swerved to try to go right over him. I figured if he stayed down, the lotus wasn't SO low that it'd hit him....the dumb thing decided to stand up as I was about to pass over him. Saw a body fall over with the head bouncing away. :eek:

I actually managed to get two squirrels in a very simliar way. Poor little buggers :(

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
I ran over several toads one night after a rainstorm. They pop and crunch at the same time.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
A turtle.
I hit a "herd" of turtles in Missouri around 1979. I was driving my VW to California, MO, near the Missouri river. It was a twisty country road through a heavily wooded area. I came around a curve at about 55 mph when I saw what seemed like hundreds of turtles all crossing the road. I hit dozens of them and the car was bouncing and sliding a lot. I nearly lost control.

I hit a "herd" of tarantula on a mountain dirt road one night in Arizona. It was really creepy. I was driving a Jeep Cherokee.

I don't think I've hit anything larger than bugs in the Lotus. I did straddle a rattle snake slithering across the road. I don't think I hit it because I think I would have felt it. I didn't bother going back to see.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I did straddle a rattle snake slithering across the road. I don't think I hit it because I think I would have felt it. I didn't bother going back to see.
We hit a rattle snake once in my buddy's old M38 (CJ-5). We were going so fast that the snake flew up in the air about 10-15 feet. Didn't have the top on, but luckily the snake went behind us... :eek:

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
On my 1st date with my 1st wife, I hit 3 rabbits while driving her back to her home in the country. We were married two years later and divorced 4 years after that. She didn't want kids while I did.

I think the rabbits were an omen of what was to come.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I had a deer jump right over the front clam two months ago, so close to the windshield I could see the detail of it's hooves. I've only actually hit one and that was about 14 years ago. I had an H1 Hummer that was about six months old and was on my way home from hunting camp with a nice ten point buck in the back of the truck. A good sized buck came running out from the far side of the road and I hit it at about 45 mph throwing it a good ten feet into the air. Total damage to Hummer, $0. I had a good friend who managed to hit at least one a year with his Suburban, we used to claim that truck was his favorite deer rifle...Dave

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Talk about bad luck, one time I came to a screeching halt for a deer- He ran right in front of my stopped truck; his buddy ran right into the passenger door- $800 damage!

·
Registered
847 Posts
Back in the 80's while living in NJ I was riding shotgun when my buddy hit a deer on a twisty mountain road. It had jumped onto the road so suddenly and so close there was no chance of avoiding it. Very sad as the small/low car basically broke all it's legs. I remember standing there debating if we should brain it with a large rock but decided it would be better to wait for an officer to come and shoot it.

Many from my hometown were fond of hunting. Hitting a deer with ones car wasn't always bad luck. I remember one guy telling me he hit a deer, tossed it in the back of his truck to bring it home and eat it. Waste not want not.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Back in 03, right after i picked my cobra up from downstate Illinois, I hit a duck on the highway and it costed me a few grand to fix....the duck head stuck in the intercooler for 300 miles must have done wonders for my break in period.
Peace,
Jon

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Were they lightly killed and lovingly frosted with glucose?
I'm not sure; I didn't stop to check. I don't care too much for pisstoads. rotfl

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
My ex-wife and I had a pretty good kill record. She got a deer with a VW GTI and after the car was repaired she hit a black bear. The bear walked away. The deer was doa. I killed a pheasant in Germany with my Mercedes. The bird was dead and my driver side headlight was pushed back into the fender. My 750 Triumph Bonneville got a snake on alligator alley in Florida.
I probably killed two or three dozen jack rabbits driving from Aspen Colorado to Jackson Hole Wyoming in one night driving a friends Dodge van.

I don't swerve to miss animals and possibly kill myself trying to avoid them. As the late Red Foxx used to say "A 4000lb Cadilliac goes over a two pound rabbit one time with no remainder".

·
Registered
912 Posts
One rabbit ran across the road on me leaving my house, it ran into the middle of the street stopped and when i get close continues to run to the other side. Cracked my splitter and probably took its head off, didn't go back to check.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts