The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These guys should have their Lotus Owner cards revoked!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bVzyinBprm0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bVzyinBprm0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
The scary part is: SOMEONE will buy them used on ebay someday ! :eek:

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Generally, our cars don't make very good drifting cars anyway. I'd take a Viper for drifting before I'd take a Lotus.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Looks like some drunk high school kids on a snow day. I wouldn't even call that drifting as I would wasting tires and doing rolling burnouts.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I don't see a decent drift in there. Every time they get the car sideways, they spin it around. Looks like somebody needs some time around the old skidpad.

·
Registered
91 Posts
The scary part is: SOMEONE will buy them used on ebay someday ! :eek:
The same could be done to a Toyota Camry. Therefore the phrase caveat emptor.

Generally, our cars don't make very good drifting cars anyway. I'd take a Viper for drifting before I'd take a Lotus.
In there stock set up they don't but I'm pretty sure someone could modify the car to their liking to do so. Nevertheless its still ridiculous IMO.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ahh i remember the good old days when drifiting was just called doing doughnuts in the carpark..
I wasn't going to justify it by calling it "doing doughnuts"...because they obviously can't...:D

·
Registered
648 Posts
There's nothing wrong with drifting a MR car if you know how to do it. My MR2 will slide sideways easily. It's harder in the Elise to do it till I get a SC kit and a good LSD then I'll be sideways happy in the Elise also. It does take more speed and work to get a MR sideways to the point most are scared at the concept.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
"This is REAL drifting"

Negative.

That is sliding. Drifting requires that all 4 tires are at or near the limit of adhesion while the car is cornering.

Sliding only requires that the rear tires limits be exceeded. This is frequently done with large rear sway bars, high rear tire inflation pressures and an emergency brake that can be applied and released quickly.

I'll watch the drifting cars race quickly around corners anytime. The sliding contests....they can keep them.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Drifting is scored based on two points, speed & slip angle in relation to corners.

When only one car is running on a track, they judge based on their speed into and though the corner and the slip angle. You get a higher score the faster you go through a corner with a very large slip angle.

When two cars run, known as tsuiso (twin run), the leading car trys to go through the course with as much speed and slip angle as possible while the guy behind him attempts to keep up and put pressure on the leader. Both cars are graded on their respective performance then they switch positions, the leading car in the first run becomes the chaser and attempts to keep up while keeping pressure on the new leader. Person with the overall highest score wins.

Drift is the ballet of the motor sport world. Its all about how a person controls a car. Cars with more horsepower and more modifications dont guarantee a win. It isnt unheard of for an 200hp 86 corolla to beat 500hp Mustangs, Silvias, and RX7s. This sport is about control of one's vehicle.

Your definition of "drift" maybe different, but the video above is a drift competition and has already been set as the newest motor sport. It is drifting no matter your opinion. In order to do what was shown in the video, you need alot of grip. Sliding is lack of grip. The more grip you have in drift, the faster you can go.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
This is better

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5huEEK3GeGM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5huEEK3GeGM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Watch till end

·
Registered
740 Posts
Movie clip was made at parking lot track of Zandvoort (The Netherlands) during a charity day in which cancer patients sit in the passenger seat of a race car (lotus, ferrari etc.) instead of lying in the hospital.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts