1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
see:

http://www.lotuscars.co.uk/template.cfm?name=lotmedianews

the first paragraph or so:
The Lotus Elise 111R is the latest addition to the Lotus stable and introduces to the market the most powerful and highest performing production Elise.

With a VVTL-i engine (Variable Valve Timing and Lift-Intelligent) producing a maximum power output of 192 PS (189hp, 141kW) and 181Nm (133.5 lbs.ft) of torque, the Elise 111R sprints to 100km/h in 5.2 seconds (0-60mph in 4.9 seconds) and 160km/h (100mph) in 13.0 seconds before reaching a certified top speed of 241km/h (150mph).

This performance is achieved through a balance of environmental considerations with the fully Euro IV Emissions Compliant engine helping the Elise to return 8.8 litres/100km (32.1mpg) on the combined cycle, as well as the very low figure of 208g/km of CO2 emissions.

For the first time, track tuned, high specification ABS with servo assisted brakes is offered as standard on the Elise 111R.

Through careful management of weight and clever design the Elise 111R weighs in at 860kg (1892lbs) - unladen with no options - giving a power to weight ratio of 223PS/tonne (220hp/tonne, 164kW/tonne).

The Lotus Elise 111R goes on sale in February 2004.
which really does beg the question, if my fellow brits are getting the car in February, why are we not getting it here till May/June?

Are they padding? is it putting the steering wheel on the left side? ironing out bugs? que pasa?

Steve

·
Registered
91 Posts
Old English White?

One of the standard colors available in the UK, Australia and Japan is Old English White. This is the color I've had on all my cars, including my old Lotus. At the LA Auto Show, I was told that The Elise wouldn't be available in white. Uh, is it now? Cause, I'll be changing my color choice if available.

Barry

·
Supporting Vendor
4,146 Posts
We may get the white some time in the future. Looks especially good with the green stripes.

Lotus appears to have a very strange new model intro strategy. It seems they have a history of bringing out new cars without much fan fare. When AutoExpress tested the 111R in the fall they suggested it would become available in Euroland by summer '04. I'd venture there are a bunch of std Elises languishing on dealers lots. This quick intro should be a nice shot of andrenaline for Lotus sales.

The good news for us is that they can work out any initial build bugs with their cars. We just have to wait a bit longer than them - though April '04 has been our intro date for a long time.

I think it is a smart move by Lotus. We demanding buggers will not tolerate really poor initial build quality! :D

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
hmm... The site claims the UK model has an Alcantara option for the touring pack. I wonder if that will make it's way here. ::crosses fingers::

oOoOO... it also advertizes a Lojack-type theft recovery system. I wonder if that will make it's way here. ::crosses fingers:: ;)

My guess as to why they are being released elsewhere first is that the Elise is still going through testing for the US. Correct me if I'm wrong, but other countries don't require the same testing as the US with regards to safety - not to say that they don't require any testing, but that they are a bit more standardized and/or accept data from other countries.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
BarryB said:
Forgive my stupidity, but what is "Alcantara". I've seen a lot of people here wishing it was an option, and I've no idea what it is.
Think of it as fake suede leather. The generic name is "microfiber." Think of "Alcantara" like you would of "Coke" or "Jacuzzi" - eveyone uses the term even if they're talking about a different form of it.

edit: ahhh, you beat me to it, I see. ;)

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
More on the "weird" intro of the 111R

From Pistonheads:
Talk in the Lotus community recently has centred around the new Exige and the new Elise, both fitted with the more powerful Toyota engine.

The prospect of an Elise with a 190PS (~186bhp) engine is an exciting one. Whilst others have stretched the K Series to extremes, the Toyota engine produces its power in a more leisurely manner which then leaves even more scope for tuning. 200+bhp Elises could finally take on the Vauxhall VX220 Turbo - also built by Lotus - which currently represents a performance bargain.

The launch of the Elise was on Monday and with strict embargos to be observed all was quiet beforehand. The dealers remained tight lipped despite some being in the unusual position of having demonstrator cars ready to go on the big day.

Monday.... Silence...

Tuesday... Silence...

Wednesday... We called Lotus's PR department as no press releases had been forthcoming via any of the normal channels. After having our call diverted to the sales department we were told there was no one from PR for us to speak to as they were all in the south of France launching the car. Nothing on their website either...

Meanwhile, back in the snowbound UK - the target market - a deafening silence has greeted the launch. The big mags will be featuring the car in the next few weeks but Lotus appear to have neglected the rest of the media in the process.

So, what spec is the car? As expected it comes with a 190PS Toyota VVTL-I (Toyota's Variable Valve Timing and Lift with intelligence) engine and a six speed manual gearbox. The dash to sixty is billed at 4.7 seconds. Slowing the car will be cross drilled brakes, complete with ABS.

Other features include 8 spoke alloy wheels, central locking, front mud flaps, a half leather interior, sunvisors and a Blaupunkt CD system. Options now include air-con too.

Prices start at £27,995 rising to around £32,500 for a fully specced car including air con and hard top. If you're interested then contact your local dealer as you should now be able to beat the rush!

Link:
http://www.pistonheads.com/lotus/default.asp?storyId=7919

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Interestingly, the article above was titled something to the effect of "Lotus 11R the premiere that never was" yesterday. Today the article has changed and the title is no longer there. Looks like the Lotus boys did'nt like the title or the article!

*try the link below the writup now- the article's totally different.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
And the silence descends again.

there's never enough solid info coming out about the Elise for my liking, with long, long bouts of nothing at all. At the moment what I'd like more than anything else is an update on delivery... how much longer?

Steve

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Steve W said:
And the silence descends again.

there's never enough solid info coming out about the Elise for my liking, with long, long bouts of nothing at all. At the moment what I'd like more than anything else is an update on delivery... how much longer?

Steve
AMEN to that! Lotus marketing machine is a cart and buggy. Update www.lotuscars.com with the LA autoshow information at least. As far as I'm concerned Lotus needs to publicize allocation numbers and delivery now.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You had to go and mention the official website.

Many websites including elisetalk and gglotus had all the details released at the LA auto show on their website within 2 days. The official website is still talking about a euro spec elise 1 month later.

The whole page is a joke, the shop's going to open in fall '03, the car is coming in April '04. "want to see your colour options in an unrealistic photoshop way? Click here"

Good grief.

Just as well the Elise sells itself, cos the web site sure isn't helping.

Steve

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
True that website is an embarrassment. Does Lotus admin get paid? If so shouldn't he do something for the money? Someone needs to let LCUSA know just what a joke the site is.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Haven't had the time? I could have learned HTML and redone the site in the amount of time since the first update. Nothing personal, I just think they've dropped the ball on this, and it's not cause of time constraints. I'm quite sure they've lost a lot of money on potential accessories sales, too. I would guess I'm not the only one who's already got at least a keychain and a ballcap with the Lotus logo on it... and I sure didn't buy it off the site. But I would have if their online store had been open.

The site sucks, and I hope they fix it soon. I hope they take a cue from Mini USA.

Cade

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
They don't need to bother opening an online store until Lotus UK gets some decent goodies to sell on line. The only real good stuff they have is Lotus motorsport, everything else is pretty abysmal and always has been.

Unfortunately I don't think Lotus UK realizes how much money they can make off clothing. It's a huge business here in the USA. I know Clyde would love to have goodies like that to sell.

Hopefully Lotus USA will take control of US accessories sales and find the right companies to put together some quality apparel.

Chris
Don't get me wrong, if given the choice between Lotus goodies and my car? well no choice there!

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
zvezdah1 said:
The official Lotus USA site will be updated, but they just haven't had the time to do anything about at present.

Chris
If they make time to cash the checks that Lotus writes them they can make time to maintain the site. Lets be real, it's not like it's only a week out of date, it's going on 5 months now:rolleyes:

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Not to get into a pissing match or play "pile on"... but it only takes minutes to update content. We are not talking about a site revamp. I don't understand why the simple text has not been updated.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Ever since they changed the URL, that site has been dying a slow death, RIP. :p With a little luck it'll come back to life in another form.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
LOL. I guess we just didn't expect the site to emulate the real life history of Lotus...

Too bad 'Phoenix' doesn't follow the E theme for names... It'd be a good one for them.

Cade

1 - 20 of 28 Posts