The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Things you read on the UK forums- :)

Dodgy Of questionable merit or character ("sketchy"/"shady")

Agro Trouble

Spanner Wrench

Tyre Tire

Saloon Sedan, 4 door car

Motorway Specific type of roadway, like our Highway, numbered like how we have the Interstate (I69) they would have the M69, or A234

Roundabout Circular turn around

Wonky poorly or hastily crafted / unreliable ("shaky"/"kludgy")

Lump Engine

Peckish ungry

Petrol gas

Take a recky

Have a ganders

Dizzy Distributor

Pub Crawl A night spent imbibing alcoholic beverages with friends around the local inns

Aerial Antenna

Boot Trunk Lid

Silencer Muffler

Yonks a long time

Chuffed Very happy

Bonnet Hood

Banger sausage (or cylinder), sometimes an old car

Snubber Struts or Shock Absorbers

Pinking

Tat

Nicked Stolen

In the Nick In prison. In Jail

Windscreen Windshield

Naff Bad, Not fit for the purpose. "These pirellis are naff in the wet"

Porkies ming slang - "Pork Pies - Lies."

Pork Pies A specific type of pastry with some form(s) of pork in it. The area around Hethel has awesome ones.

Blimey Sort of like way we would use "Crazy!" or "Wow!"

OAP Old Age Pensioners, "geezer", not a nicer term to use

Estate Station Wagon

Fanny Female Genitalia *Don't refer to a fanny pack as a fanny pack - call it a waist pack or something else. Fanny pack has a WAY different meaning in the UK.

Big Girl's Blouse wimp

Are you taking the piss? Are you making fun out of me? (mildest)
or : Are you trying to take advantage of me?
It can be teasing. A colloquial term (in London anyway) as a substitute is "Extracting the Urine"

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Ones I know -

Agro - Trouble

Saloon - Sedan, 4 door car

Motorway - Specific type of roadway, like our Highway, numbered like how we have the Interstate (I69) they would have the M69, or A234

Chuffed - Very happy

Banger - sausage (or cylinder)

Nicked - Stolen

Pork Pies - A specific type of pastry with some form(s) of pork in it. The area around Hethel has awesome ones. The stuff inside is "undetermind" as to what part of the pig it came from plus there is some gelatin stuff there too. There's some big story behind them I was told but since have forgotten.

Blimey - Sort of like way we would use "Crazy!" or "Wow!"

-----------------
Others:

OAP - Old Age Pensioners, "geezer", not a nicer term to use

Estate - Station Wagon

Fanny - Female Genitalia *Don't refer to a fanny pack as a fanny pack - call it a waist pack or something else. Fanny pack has a WAY different meaning in the UK.

My favorite -
Big Girl's Blouse - wimp

Some more:
UK Slang

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
mikester said:
Oooh ooh okay,

How about this one - "taking the piss" ?
As in: Are you taking the piss?
is
Am Eng: Are you making fun out of me? (mildest)
or : Are you trying to take advantage of me?
It can be teasing. A colloquial term (in London anyway) as a substitute is "Extracting the Urine"

·
Registered
637 Posts
Pub Crawl - A night spent imbibing alcoholic beverages with friends around the local inns

Yonks - "a long time".
eg. "My car's had no registration plate on the front for yonks"

Tat - "stuff". "Ally tat" is the aluminium stuff found in elises on window winders and at the top of many gearsticks, usually fitted in order to make the car look less plastic. The standard parts on the S1 were nasty black plastic you see!

In the Nick - In prison. In Jail.

Naff - Bad, Not fit for the purpose. "These pirellis are naff in the wet" (often after a spin on them!!)

Porkies - Rhyming slang - "Pork Pies - Lies."

Pork Pies A specific type of pastry with some form(s) of pork in it. The area around Hethel has awesome ones.
*NB: They may not in fact contain any pork!
If you come to the UK, go to a supermarket and buy a pork pie from Melton Mowbery. I believe they were invented there. Warning, I take no responsibility for any cardiac or other health related problems caused by eating these.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Re: Re: UK Translations

Craigy said:
If you come to the UK, go to a supermarket and buy a pork pie from Melton Mowbery. I believe they were invented there. Warning, I take no responsibility for any cardiac or other health related problems caused by eating these.
Stop it! Do you know how hard some of that food is to come by over 'ere
I've been buying shreddies and hobnobs on the internet. Funny all the small things you miss :)

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Re: Re: Re: UK Translations

adamant said:
Stop it! Do you know how hard some of that food is to come by over 'ere
I've been buying shreddies and hobnobs on the internet. Funny all the small things you miss :)

bbcamerica.com - lots of stuff to buy.

I think that Pork Pies are the UK's version of the Hot Dog. Never quite sure what the hell is in it, but it tastes pretty good. Tastes better when drunk.
:D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi
I am a SELOC memeber, and am glad to fill in a few gaps for you.
Pinking is the term used to decribe pre-ignition. The engine sounds like a diesel and runs like a pig.

take a recky would be to reconnoiter, have a look around.

Tat= Worn out or poor condition, or quality.

Have a gander = have a look

Take a butchers is also have a look, rhyming slang Butchers hook.

I have noticed a few SELOC memebers have visited this site to have a butchers.

Hope this helps
Phil

·
Registered
17 Posts
mikester said:
okay, so what are shreddies and hobnobs ? :p

As mentioned above breakfast cereals also Shreddies sometimes is used for male under garments. Boxer shorts, Y-fronts etc. Make your own up for Hobnobs.

Also Dipstick used for checking oil content of engine or to describe someone of mentally reduced capacity.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts