The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check out the Carbon Carbon brake kit for the Elise

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f95/f-s-bay-area-bnib-freno-carbon-brake-kit-f-r-elise-exige-211-a-473382/#post5985452

The rear rotors would be a fairly straight forward bolt on for the Stevens cars.

The fronts might be a bit more work.

Overkill? Absolutely.

Cool factor is off the charts for me.

Kind of surprised at the smallish size of the rotors. I did some reading on the carbon brakes a few years ago and they work on a different principle to steel. Maybe the technology has changed? Used to be that the rotors had to be much larger than steel because they dont absorb heat, the surface area has to be much larger to match the performance of steel but they are much lighter in spite of the size. Also with street use they "never wear out".

When the Carbon brakes first came out I started dreaming of the day that I could go down to Autozone and choose between carbon or steel rotors for the family minivan! turns out its not that simple :)

·
Registered
495 Posts
Cool!

I remember talking to a friend who happen to know a Ferrari mechanic, who told him that he had a customer's Ferrari of relatively modern model in for a service and to find out why there was a schreeching sound from the left hand front brake. So, upon doing all of that, he calls the customer and tells him that his car is now finished and ready for pick up. Great, says the customer, and what was the cause of the schreeching left hand front brake? Well, the mechanic says, it had to be changed to a new disc. But why? I was told that carbon discs are virtually everlasting in normal street use? says the customer. Well, that's because a small stone from the road was caught between the brake disc and the brake pad, damaging the carbon brake disc, the mechanic replies.
Well, okay, that's all right, so how much for the new left hand front brake disc?
Around 8000 usd.
WHAT?
And we only change them in pairs.
That is why for normal customers, the workshop usually calls the customers around the beginning of the month, the mechanic said to my friend.

I guess you live and learn.
Kind regards,
Redfox

·
Registered
359 Posts
Check out the Carbon Carbon brake kit for the Elise

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f95/f-s-bay-area-bnib-freno-carbon-brake-kit-f-r-elise-exige-211-a-473382/#post5985452

The rear rotors would be a fairly straight forward bolt on for the Stevens cars.

The fronts might be a bit more work.

Overkill? Absolutely.

Cool factor is off the charts for me.

Kind of surprised at the smallish size of the rotors. I did some reading on the carbon brakes a few years ago and they work on a different principle to steel. Maybe the technology has changed? Used to be that the rotors had to be much larger than steel because they dont absorb heat, the surface area has to be much larger to match the performance of steel but they are much lighter in spite of the size. Also with street use they "never wear out".

When the Carbon brakes first came out I started dreaming of the day that I could go down to Autozone and choose between carbon or steel rotors for the family minivan! turns out its not that simple :)
I'm frustrated with trying to make contact with the carbon brake company. No one answers emails and no one returns calls. You go to the website and they now only have brake pads for earlier esprit years.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I'm frustrated with trying to make contact with the carbon brake company. No one answers emails and no one returns calls. You go to the website and they now only have brake pads for earlier esprit years.
Correction to my previous comments. They do have pads for 2.2 liter esprits up to 1994. All I want to find out is if they would have pads for a 95 esprit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts