The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ultimate CF Exige Chin Spoiler / Splitter (PICTURES)

This piece is gorgeous! The last time that I've seen carbon fiber like this was on an F1 car... it is 4x4 twill, with Kevlar layers for toughness. No more lunchbox, either.

I'm thrilled! :clap:

And, sorry, the "V" pattern at the center isn't available to the general publc. :D
[My camera made an illusion... the sides actually meet up precisely.]

And if you are looking for a bargain-basement splitter, you better look to China or Taiwan, 'cuz this one is made in America. I'm not selling them, I'm just a happy customer. [P.S. The pictures show my 2006 Exige.]

Thomas

[edit]: Oops, sorry... that is from Prototype Composites. Mike and his crew do really quality work. (For example they used to build CF for the Buell race motorcycles, etc.)

His name on Elise Talk is "Composites." I'll go back and edit the original post...

There are other CF splitters out there, but they are usually standard "cloth", which is far easier to work with than the twill used here.[/edit]

·
Registered
137 Posts
:clap: I see u're so into REAL Made In USA carbon little thingy, u should have get one made with aircraft grade carbon or at least mountain bike grade like Trek's OCLVrotfl
Those are proper tough grade carbon, not just for show:bow:

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
My Trek Y-11 is in fact OCLV (you can *just* make it out behind my car in the top picture...)

By the way, OCLV is really a process. Trek markets OCLV as a "material"... go figure.
T.

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here you go Simon:

"Once all of the layers of material from which the frame is constructed are assembled in the two mold halves, the two halves of the tooling mold . . . are then tightly clamped together, heated and the internal pressure bladder . . . is inflated to apply pressure to the laminated preforms . . . thereby forcing them against the internal walls of the molding cavity. . . the bladder serves as an internal compaction device that compresses the laminated layers of material together and shapes the material into the form of the mold."

Thomas

·
Registered
719 Posts
Pardon my ignorance but shouldn't it be called a chin / lip spoiler rather than a splitter? Aren't usually splitter used to "split" the air that passes through or around the vehicle? Therefore, there should be a triangular piece on each side of the front bumper?

I'm not trying to give anybody a hard time. I just want to have a better understanding and familiarize the correct terms for each.

-A.

·
Registered
943 Posts
chiuman said:
Is that the Sector111 piece? If not where did you get it? Also would you or anyone reading this be interested in selling me there stock one?

If it's not, it looks just like it. I have the sector111 and am very pleased with it.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Trendy Exige said:
Pardon my ignorance but shouldn't it be called a chin / lip spoiler rather than a splitter? Aren't usually splitter used to "split" the air that passes through or around the vehicle? Therefore, there should be a triangular piece on each side of the front bumper?

I'm not trying to give anybody a hard time. I just want to have a better understanding and familiarize the correct terms for each.

-A.
A splitter on a car splits the air that goes under/over the car. The lower to the ground, the less air(potentially lift inducing) that gets under the car. The larger they are(stick out further) the more air they can trap on top of them and the more downforce they generate...for a very generic description.

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
simonwg905 said:
Yeah! I still got my Y-33 with me, those are the best carbon Treks:nanner:
Keep it nice & clean! They are classic in design as loads of others just copied their Y frame:mad:
So do u still ride your MTB?
Yep, I still ride my mountain bike... mostly on the street these days, I have bad shoulders from a little spill on a motorcycle. My favorite is to knock on the frame, it sounds like it is eggshell thin!

You are right Simon, lots of people followed that design. I'm pretty sure that frame has a lifetime warranty against cracking, too! :)

Thomas

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
shay2nak said:
yeah where did you get the splitter!
Oops, sorry... that is from Prototype Composites. Mike and his crew do really quality work. (For example they used to build CF for the Buell race motorcycles, etc.)

His name on Elise Talk is "Composites." I'll go back and edit the original post...

Thomas

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
jacks1071 said:
Does it make the same scrape noise as the fibre glass one??? :)
My original Lotus splitter made not only a scrape noise, but a cracking noise that sounded like a lot of $$$$ flying out of my wallet! :(

Haven't found out what this one sounds like, but watch for a future post! :( :( :(

Thomas

·
Registered
12,195 Posts
ZJChaser said:
A splitter on a car splits the air that goes under/over the car.
AFAIK, It's also called a lip, chin spoiler, or air dam.

ZJChaser said:
The lower to the ground, the less air(potentially lift inducing) that gets under the car. The larger they are(stick out further) the more air they can trap on top of them and the more downforce they generate...for a very generic description.
Technically, the splitter itself doesn't "generate downforce", but "prevents lift". It's a slight difference, but important because one should realize that optimizing the "preventive" aerodynamics of his car has logistic (1/x) limits... so you may improve (at 100mph) from 30lbs of lift to 5lbs of lift by spending $1000, but your limit is 0 lift.

Edit: actually, on rereading what you said (I had skimmed past the "stick out" part), the downforce part makes sense...

On the other hand, with other "functional" aero (wings, ground effect, fans and other active aero) you can have unlimited gains in downforce.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.