The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a video of before and after installation of the shiftR111 from InoKinetic. It is a quality piece and you shouldn't be afraid to attempt this installation. I'm working to tune in the second to third shift but the weather is not cooperating for test drives. The installation video is extremely helpful and Shinoo is always available for questions. Good winter project with a nice outcome. I keep telling my wife, "there just isn't anything more I can do to the car" but here I go;}

·
Premium Member
2008 Lotus Elise SC and 2018 Alfa Romeo 4C
849 Posts
Very nice. Where did buy the fire extinguisher and holder? I already have the sector 111 piece. Thanks

·
Registered
54 Posts
Could you please do another video where you show us how the gearknob wobble is when you have engaged a gear?
Is there still the same movement as with the stock shifter?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Could you please do another video where you show us how the gearknob wobble is when you have engaged a gear?
Would like to see this also. I just installed the F&R engine mount inserts which made a huge difference on the shifting feel

·
Premium Member
2006 Exige
162 Posts
Would like to see this also. I just installed the F&R engine mount inserts which made a huge difference on the shifting feel
Here’s video of stock shifter with a 10%
throw reduction and reduced play transmission linkage.

Attachments

Reactions: Catsailr27

·
Registered
259 Posts
Yeah so it doesn't seem as though the shifter movement when in gear is actually decreased that much, just the throw length. In the comparo. you show how much the shifter moves in gear with the original unit, but not when the Ino kit is installed. This seems to be a common theme in the videos I've seen

·
Less is Better
2,679 Posts
Yeah so it doesn't seem as though the shifter movement when in gear is actually decreased that much, just the throw length. In the comparo. you show how much the shifter moves in gear with the original unit, but not when the Ino kit is installed. This seems to be a common theme in the videos I've seen
All wiggle will never be eliminated. Even the Miata's direct lever does it.

You can see the amount of motion after the SSC cables and ShiftR111 in my video here.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Agreed. I have the shiftr111, the Inokinetic upgraded cables, and a LETSLA. The shift precision and feel is greatly improved over stock; there is still some side-to-side play when in gear, but that play is internal to the transmission. You can easily see it if you remove the engine pan and watch from below while someone wriggles the stick. At the same time, there’s no discernible slop in the shiftr111 or the LETSLA mechanisms. IMO this remaining play is a non-issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Very nice. Where did buy the fire extinguisher and holder? I already have the sector 111 piece. Thanks
The fire extinguisher is an entirely new thread! Bottom line, the gas they fill it with is perfect to preserve automotive electronics and it leaves no residue when discharged. The problem is that it has been ruled by the state of CA as a bad thing. Getting it refilled is about 1/2 the price of a new one and the company that does it may not be able to do it in the future. The gas leaks out after ~5 years.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The gear knob wobble isn't relevant once the gear is engaged. I shouldn't have focused so much on this in the before video. I'll post some track lap footage that will show the shifter in use at Heartland Park Topeka. I did end up taking off the weighted shift knob to help the 2nd to 3rd shift at speed. Keep in mind, I'm sharing this car with my 21 year old son who is afraid of accidentally downshifting from 3rd to 1st and over revving the engine. I have mechanical sympathy but I may have ingrained too much of this into him for track days:rolleyes:

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Agreed. I have the shiftr111, the Inokinetic upgraded cables, and a LETSLA. The shift precision and feel is greatly improved over stock; there is still some side-to-side play when in gear, but that play is internal to the transmission. You can easily see it if you remove the engine pan and watch from below while someone wriggles the stick. At the same time, there’s no discernible slop in the shiftr111 or the LETSLA mechanisms. IMO this remaining play is a non-issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I 100% agree. There is however, some play in my car with the cables on top of the transaxle. There seems to be room for innovation to take out the 1/16" of play in the c-clips that attach the cables. Shinoo, it seems like it would be pretty easy to engineer a mount with a tighter cable attachment method!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts