The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are buying a house and are thinking we should get umbrella insurance. Most of the umbrella policy carriers make you insure your cars with them too. But and insurance agency told us today that a lotus might be on a 'restricted' list, not because it is and exotic or valuable car, but because it's a sports car and that means a high risk driver....

So I'm wondering can anyone recommend a company to get a policy that won't complain about a lotus and 2-3 other cars. Price is a concern, but we don't want to play any games either, so something middle of the road would probably be a good call.

Thanks!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I've never heard of anything like that. Ask your agent for a quote and not for an opinion of risk. It should be a yes or no answer.

Country Financial has no problems.

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts
I have my policy for many years covering both my lotuses and they never questioned them. The only thing you need to have in order to qualify for the coverage is to raise the liability limit of your current coverage to 250K/500K. I had AAA before and now I have state farm.

·
Registered
433 Posts
My umbrella coverage was not materially affected when I acquired the Elise. This is through State Farm. In fact, when I inquired about covering an Evora, there was no quibbling either (but I have not bought one yet).

·
Premium Member
4,135 Posts
Same with USAA, I would start shopping...............That is some BS!

·
Registered
978 Posts
I have everything through State Farm. They asked no questions and I am on my second lotus. The umbrella policy is dirt cheap. My agent and his staff never question a thing.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,689 Posts
LISTEN to the OP........ ( I didn't have insurance on mine. :( )

Attachments

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,689 Posts
I really got soaked on repairs. ( This could go on all day ! )

·
Older but getting faster
530 Posts
Allstate: House, (2) Cars, Excess Liability. No problems.

·
Premium Member
2,179 Posts
I think you're right in that most umbrella policies require that you have your autos insured with them too. I have State Farm, with home, multi-car, and umbrella policies, and no issues with sports car coverage.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I think you're right in that most umbrella policies require that you have your autos insured with them too. I have State Farm, with home, multi-car, and umbrella policies, and no issues with sports car coverage.
I have the same experience with State Farm. I've been with them since I was 16 (same agent), which next year will be 40 years.

The only grief they gave me about the umbrella policy was when my son was in college and had a string of accidents. They threatened to remove him from the policy, but my agent interceded on my behalf, so they backed down. I told my agent that having two young drivers was the main reason I bought the policy to begin with.

·
Mulholland>SCC
2,532 Posts
Farmer's Insurance, no problem. Sounds like your agent doesn't know what they are talking about.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
USAA gave me no problem with the Lotus but would not write an umbrella because
  1. I raced 30' sailboat without an engine.
  2. My wife was on the board of her church and a charity.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts