The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that sometimes kit shows up on e-Bay with UN-1 transmission output shafts seals and it includes the paper gasket set.
Based on Lotus parts manuals, the paper gaskets were not used in their assembly.

I am curious to learn if anyone used these gaskets on Esprit trans and did they help in sealing the trans case.

Cheers,

Zig

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi.
I have the UN-1 369 from the Delorean, and it uses 2 paper gaskets, the one pictured above and one for the rear cover. From the picture, at least the clutch housing gasket is very similar or the same.

I had my gearbox disassembled 3 times and I always used these gaskets. I cleaned the surfaces and dressed both sides of the gasket with Indian Head gasket shellac by Permatex. I never had a leak. Now, the output flange seals are another story. :)

Here's my rebuild thread on the DeLorean forum with pictures etc. if it helps.

Transmission 5-Speed 5 Speed gearbox flaw repair

P.S. I love the Esprit, so I lurk from time to time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi there,

I have taken apart my type 369 UN-1 from my Delorean three times and it uses 2 of these paper gaskets, (one exactly as above on the clutch housing, and one on the rear cover). I definitely used new gaskets each time. I opted to dress them on both sides with a thin layer of Permatex Indian Head Gasket Shellac. I have never experienced a leak.

By the way, I absolutely love the Esprit. It may be a future car for me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts