The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so heres a question. the last year and a half lt has been the only forum i participated in. as i just assumed there was nothing else beyond LT. anyway, in the last few months ive become part of several other sites. i am new to most of this, and as such have question regarding edict, unwritten rules, thing to assume.

first, what is the rule with cross posting. for example, events? ive seen this done many times. case in point the nyc hospital event. it was listed on fcaht, and lambo power etc.. is it ok to cross post those links even though you may not be directly related to the event?

i had a charity think i was part organizer back in april. i posted it myself on a bunch of forums, is that allowed, or should it be spread by established members of other forums?

thanks...

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Never assume too much about how other forums work. Many forums will not allow links to any forum they consider potentially competition. This is more often the norm than not.

It is bad form IMO to do so, even if the forum allows it. Specially if you are new.

Cross posting links is not inherently bad. As long as it is relevant. Some forums will not be as happy with links and promos for that EuroCar Bash thread someone posted, specially if it looks like spam. It is tough sometimes to tell the difference between someone that just means well, is excited, wants people to come... and a business that posts in all car forums.

We DO get a lot of that and I tend to look the other way. As long as it does not get out of hand and it only one thread, no big deal. But many meets are businesses and many links go to sites that make money off the visits. We get that here, for example, hey look at the pics I took at this event. Instead of putting the pics in the thread, they link to their site, which has google ads. Business. But I also see it as, it is a service so I am glad they took the pics and posted the link.

We also get the "breaking news" about a new car from many sites. Again, business.

A charity event, I would not even worry about it. Some other forums may not be as happy when a newbie does it though.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts