The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are the bell housings on UN1 transmissions "matched" on the machined surfaces of the housing and the transmission case? Or are bell housings between UN1's interchangeable?

·
Cal H
982 Posts
I have heard of people switching the V8 and the 4cyl tranny between the two but most of the talk centered around how the shift cables mount and are used. I do not have 1st hand knowledge if the mating surfaces

·
Registered
212 Posts
For the Citroen, Page 8 of Section FD of the Service manual says; "If a clutch bellhousing is to be replaced separately from the transmission, the transmission must be returned to the factory in order that the new bellhousing may be fitted and the output shaft housing mating faces machined. The gearbox serial number (stamped on top front) is then repeated on the top rear face of the bellhousing."

Don't know if the same is for the Renault. I don't recall them saying anything special for the Renault in that section. With the specificity given for the Citreon and nothing said for the Renault then I would suspect the matching is not necessary. Alignment will be very important though.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I was aware of the requirement for the Citroen trans - that's why I am curious about the UN1 situation. Nothing at all about it in the service manual. Anyone out there ever done a bell housing swap on a 1989 or later Esprit? Any issues?

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
The bell housing supposed to be the same, the only difference I found was the bearing used inside the tranny. I only found this out when I did my upgrade on my transmission with parts that GTO sent me. Everything was perfect except that the inside bearing was different and they told me that around 95' there was a change, but other than that it is the same. So if you are just changing the whole thing and not just the internals you should be fine.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
293 Posts
The V8 bell housing is different and there are four variants; single plate clutch alloy, single plate clutch cast iron, pre '98 twin plate clutch and '98 on twin plate clutch.

The parts manuals do not list the main case for the V8's but I would guess they are the same across all models with only the bell housing and 5th gear casing changing according to model.

·
Registered
293 Posts
There was a blanking plug used on the 4 cylinder cars that had the electronic speedometer (part number P691.4703.009AK). There's no mention of this for the V8 transmission though.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I have a UN1-026 transaxle that never had the speedo hole machined, the case has a cast hole but it does not go through.

Tom, I think you can swap bellhousings with impunity. But don't quote me. :)

In the parts list, the case halves are listed as a pair, the rear cover and bellhousing are listed separately. Ergo, they should be interchangeable.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts