The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
When I took mine off last year I used a nut driver bit in a cordless drill to get the panel off. Dzus fasteners wouldn't have been any quicker.

I do recommend stainless hardware if you don't already have it.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I replaced mine but made my own kit maybe 8 yrs ago. Makes it breeze to remove. It holds tight and I dont get any rattles. I used 2 different lengths. I've lost maybe 2 in 8yrs and damaged (bent) a couple of the receptacles when it didnt "catch" right.

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
I too, use a cordless nut driver. Makes it super fast to remove. To make it even quicker to access, I use a jackhelper to lift the rear and slide it onto rhino ramps. From there, it's a breeze with my cordless driver to remove the bolts.

·
Registered
34 Posts
My Exige had the replacement kit installed by the previous owner. Works well except that two of them need to be longer to latch. I have not found any vendors willing to sell them in lot sizes smaller than 1000.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
When I took mine off last year I used a nut driver bit in a cordless drill to get the panel off. Dzus fasteners wouldn't have been any quicker.

I do recommend stainless hardware if you don't already have it.
I agree completely. I tried Dzus fasteners and found them too fiddly. I replaced them with stainless steel bolts and washers.

·
Premium Member
11,410 Posts
I bought SS hdwe as well. I use 1/4" drive air socket to remove and ‭reinstall the screws.

Nope, not broken or overtightened one in ~15 yrs......

·
Registered
669 Posts
I installed quarter-turn fasteners that I bought from another forum member about 10 years ago, I’ve never lost any, I’ve always been happy with them, and never found them to be fussy (just the opposite). In those 10 years I must have removed and installed my engine pan and diffuser at least 50 times. The only tweak I needed to do when I first installed the kit was to add an extra washer at each of the 5 that attach the engine pan to the diffuser to compensate for less total thickness there (to get the right tension).

Sure a cordless nut driver works fine to remove the threaded bolts, but I find the Dzus fasteners to be far easier to re-assemble because unlike the threaded bolts there’s no risk of crossthreading or over (or under) torquing. And they’re lighter ;)

My .02, -Ed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts