The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for the right front undershield for my 83 Esprit. Would prefer the one side but will buy a set of both. JAE said they haven't stocked that part since '07.

This was also posted in the parts wanted sub-forum but since the older Esprits are such a small niche I figured I'd post it here also.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
If you are not successful with finding the part you can consider fabricating. We ran into this problem on one of our cars and if you have (or know someone who has) a little woodworking/cabinetry talent the parts can be duplicated in fiberglass of a plywood/fiberglass combination.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I fabricated a whole undershield for my 88, mine was missing upon purchase. I used thin sheet steel. I even added some new mounting threaded inserts. If you have access to a lift it would be easy, I did not.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Tom- how are you doing? Hope you're enjoying the Holidaze. Ms Moneypit is coming along, hopefully I'll get it back this week lol

Amanda- Of course I'd like to stay fairly original, but reality is that many parts for these cars are extinct. I already thought about fabricating one out of sheet metal as plan B. Thanks

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,098 Posts
I fabricated a whole undershield for my 88, mine was missing upon purchase.
AFAIK the '88s didn't have a front undershield (ahead of the oil cooler/A/C/Radiator support) like the G-cars and later Stevens 4 cylinders.

Makes it easier to see if anything is leaking. :cool:

Also, Adds Lightness :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

:tadts:

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
We're doing good. We are in the process of finishing up the rehabilitation of Artie Baldwin's former Esprit and we will probably have that up for sale in January. Then we need to finish up the green SE, which I think Randy is going to keep and he will sell his red SE (which is a great car). He has fallen in love with the BRG color. Then we have thee engines in the shop, two that that need attention. One is an engine we acquired a long time ago from an S4 and is completely disassembled currently. WE also have a good rebuilt that came outy of the green SE and the third is Artie's original engine which we will disassemble to see why he continuously blew head gaskets and we plan on getting that engine correct. Artie's old motor has lots of upgraded parts so when we get that one finished we will put it in the SE to make sure all it's issues are corrected, then we will have up for sale the rebuilt SE engine and the rebuilt S4 engine. And I think that will about cover 2014 as far as projects go! Come on down to shop for a visit anytime!

·
Registered
913 Posts
I thought you were talking about the rear undershield that protects the engine bay, I didn't think there was a shield in the front at all.

Since we are on the topic of undershields, can someone post a picture of what the undershield is supposed to look like on a late 80's, early 90's Esprit? I have never actually seen one, I just made one as to how I thought it would look and what it would cover.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
We fabricated one for the left side of an S4. I don't think that the 89's had anything much in the front. Mine has a small cover on the left side which hides the horns. I think the S4s and later which had a changed front support structure had more in the way of a shielding setup on the front

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tom- sounds like you're a busy man fixing all those motors. Upcoming projects for my car include a new fuel pump (current project); I need to replace the rear right parking brake assembly and rotor (calipers are froze up and the assembly is broken where the parking brake cable attaches); putting a new fuel gauge sending unit in the gas tank; and the front undershield.

That is scheduled stuff and doesn't include any new problems that may arise

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,098 Posts
Since we are on the topic of undershields, can someone post a picture of what the undershield is supposed to look like on a late 80's, early 90's Esprit?
Here ya go Mark:

This is the top (engine) side of the tray. The right side of the tray in the pic (forward side) slips into the metal flange forward of the engine bay. The tray is held on by 8, M6 bolts threaded into the floor. Then, two M6 bolts (left-most in the pic) thread horizontally into the bottom of the wheel arches.

I know that S4s have two extra M6 bolts on the forward edge, where the flange is on the '88.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts