The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will need to drop the plate under the engine sometime soon, and when I looked around, I found three openings in the plate, two of which have plastic air directors, and one of which does not. Is this configuration correct, or am I missing one of the plastic parts? If one is missing, where would I go to purchase a replacement?

Attachments

·
Registered
818 Posts
You’re missing one of the NACA ducts.

I don’t remember the name but it’s lotus parts or lotus garage will have them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
Aren't there some aftermarket mods (oil pans and I think some others) that have clearance problems with these NACA ducts?

For what it is worth, I filled mine and temps are fine in the oil pan, and I now get more air to the diffuser.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Aren't there some aftermarket mods (oil pans and I think some others) that have clearance problems with these NACA ducts?

For what it is worth, I filled mine and temps are fine in the oil pan, and I now get more air to the diffuser.

I think that since I filled mine in I am overheating my CV joints, although I am obviously using the car very very hard.

·
Premium Member
586 Posts
Given that the NACA scoops do create some drag (though very little) and they cost money to make and install, it's safe to assume that Lotus would not have put them on the car if they weren't needed.

Given how overcooled things are on the Fed Elise in street use, it's safe to assume that most of the time they're not needed, but lots of track use or thrashing your way across Saudi Arabia at 200 KPH a tankful at a time would suggest that the transmission, oil pan, and related or connected components need something like a scat duct (aviation term) blowing on them, hence the three NACA scoops on that panel.

·
* Acme Super Moderator * ** The Enforcer **
6,888 Posts
I have one if you want it. I have the GB Composites' carbon undertray with built-in NACA ducts, so it's of no use to me. I'd suggest you silicone all of them in place, instead of relying on just the snap-in retention system. PM me if you want it, as you don't have a location listed, so I don't know if I'll need to ship it. You cover the shipping, and as it weighs very little, it will be nearly free of charge.

San

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@oldmansan: thanks for the offer, but I already ordered a replacement.

I looked closely at the clips that hold the ducts in place, and I can easily understand losing one of them. The fit is marginal at best

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,686 Posts
Here's a picture of the top !!! :surprise: ( it's above the Auto Europe logo )

Attachments

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,686 Posts
Ouch, that's a lot of butt weight on top of the clam.
They were briefed ahead of time and hardly had any weight on the clam at all.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts