The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just looking to understand how this works as I have never encountered this before. This is about a car currently for sale and I am just trying to get a better grasp on the situation so i can make an informed purchase or not.

I am looking at a vehicle where it was involved in some type of accident in 5/09. The vehicle was then sold and titled in 7/09 and had a service record on it. Then in 8/09 a Salvage title was issued. from there it was sold to its current owner.

How is it a vehicle could be titled and then re titled an accident later on? The seller says it was never totaled and has a clean title which reflects the original VIN of the vehicle on the title. I know at least in ny when a vehicle is issued salvage the vin changes if it is put back on the road. If the VIN is still the original vin on the title does that mean carfax is just wrong or what does it mean? Any help would be appreciated thanks!

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Don't take anything Carfax says as gospel. Carfax can provide some useful information, but verify through an alternate source what ever you find on the Carfax report. Best bet would be to call the DMV and see how to get information on the car for the state that the salvage is reported for. Also don't trust a blank Carfax report as they don't catch everything.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
The vin does not change when salvage title is issued. If it somehow has a clean title, I'd bet the owner did something to "clean" it. Post the vin and a pic, and see if anyone here recognizes it.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I'm not sure I follow but cliff notes:

car crashed in 5/2009
sold 7/2009
salvage title 8/2009

Then sold.

Yes?

That sold/salvage, maybe from the insurance selling it to owner and then DMV issuing the title (which would be salvage being it's totalled)

How can it have a clean title if you are saying it has a salvage title. Is it fixed? If yes then it should have a reconditioned title. Salvage title can't be registered.

Carfax is nearly worthless. It makes people feel warm and fuzzy for some reason, but I think it's just a waste of $30.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
VIN: SCCPC11165HL32809

Exact history dates as follows:

5/18/09 15463 miles, sold at auction
5/20/09 15464 miles, vehicle sold at dealership (CN)
5/21/09 NY damage reported
7/06/09 15699 miles new title, in W Virginia
7/28/09 18,000 Service
7/31/09 Conneticute dmv Salvage title issued
9/30/09 21,800 Virgina new owner
After that carfax pings saying the salvage title didnt transfer to virginia and says it could be a case of "Title Washing"

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
NY, Wva, Va... there is your answer in the middle.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Problem in the middle? you think it was run through WVA to wash it and then transferred over to VA?

·
6.94915254 lbs/hp
1,739 Posts
Also remember that salvage titles work differently between states... Just to add to the confusion!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah it looks like CT issues salvage/total loss when the repairs exceed the value of loss which i doubt could be from no supposed frame damage which is also claimed.

·
Absolute power does what?
3,201 Posts
If you're looking for a street car I'd start looking elsewhere fast - if you're looking to build a track toy then this might be the right car. Too many available for sale to buy one that's fishy...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Motogeek. I'm a salvage dealer and recently purchased a salvage lotus from orlando.

Just because a car has a salvage title on it doens't mean it will always stay salvage. Sometimes when titles go from one state to another they will lose their salvage after a few car flips or owners. Not sure how or why, it's all based on the person sitting behind the desk that clicks how the title will be issued is how it works. Unless you know the person that's sitting behind the desk making that click you can't "make a title clean." It just doesn't work like that.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Like I said once you start changing states things can change. But if it was done illegally the title might eventually catch up to where it switched illegally and that's when the dirty stuff gets sorted out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts