The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to driving the Elise. I feel that the car could carry much more speed into a corner but each time I try to take a corner a little faster, I get a bunch of squealing from the front outside tire. Trail braking seems to help keep the nose tucked in but I feel I am scrubbing off precious speed that the car should be able to handle. The tires are inflated to factory specs and only have about 4K miles n them - they are yoko advantage as spece. Advice?

·
Administrator
4,989 Posts
What kind of tire again?

·
Administrator
4,989 Posts

·
Premium Member
2006 Exige
641 Posts
I am new to driving the Elise. I feel that the car could carry much more speed into a corner but each time I try to take a corner a little faster, I get a bunch of squealing from the front outside tire. Trail braking seems to help keep the nose tucked in but I feel I am scrubbing off precious speed that the car should be able to handle. The tires are inflated to factory specs and only have about 4K miles n them - they are yoko advantage as spece. Advice?
What is the date on the tires?As you have probably read you need at least 2.2deg camber in front.

Reactions: 6TVRs+

·
Addict
2007 Lotus Exige S
1,493 Posts
What is your track history? What is your alignment? Factory pressure at cold and 4k mile tires could be part of the issue.

·
Registered
5,393 Posts
Do all the mechanical stuff suggested: Tire pressures; alignment; etc.

These cars are unencumbered analog, so there's no computerized traction control, torque vectoring, yaw control, etc. It's ALL you, the driver! Understeer is the Elise/Exige "talking" to you. Listen, what's it telling you?

In the linked thread there's a post by Randy, it is SPOT ON. Over drive the Elise/Exige into a corner and you'll understeer (forever). Brake earlier, use a little (not a lot) of trail brake, roll off the brakes smoothly and roll onto the throttle early and use the throttle to "steer" the backend of the car around the corner. Smooth, quick and rewarding.

Cheers,
Kiyoshi

·
Premium Member
2006 Exige
641 Posts

These cars are unencumbered analog, so there's no computerized traction control, torque vectoring, yaw control, etc. It's ALL you, the driver! Understeer is the Elise/Exige "talking" to you. Listen, what's it telling you?

In the linked thread there's a post by Randy, it is SPOT ON. Over drive the Elise/Exige into a corner and you'll understeer (forever). Brake earlier, use a little (not a lot) of trail brake, roll of the brakes smoothly and roll onto the throttle early and use the throttle to "steer" the backend of the car around the corner. Smooth, quick and rewarding.

Cheers,
Kiyoshi
What makes this forum interesting is a wide variety of opinions.Advising someone new to driving the Elise to use throttle induced oversteer is a terrible idea(IMHO).Trying that on a under steering car will put you into the Armco.My car has never talked to me other saying don’t try that again *******.If your car under steers and is stock you just need more camber.Maybe Your tires are old and hard.You gain about 5psi from cold so maybe start At 22psi front 24 rear.If your car has a big adjustable front sway bar taking some out will loosen it up.Trail braking doesn’t work on all types of turns,so it’s not a blanket answer.When you get the front hooked up you need to be careful not to spin it.Have fun these cars are a blast.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Yokohama ado7 a an lts2 175/55 front 225/45 rear
The above is your answer. You have the base wheels (5.5" wide fronts) which was generally put on the touring spec Elise. With these skinny front wheels, it was designed for understeer. The track spec came with wider front wheels (6.5" width with 196/50) and made the Elise have a wee bit of oversteer. You'd be shocked on the driving experience if you go wider fronts. If by chance you in California (SF Bay Area), ping me. 🙂

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The above is your answer. You have the base wheels (5.5" wide fronts) which was generally put on the touring spec Elise. With these skinny front wheels, it was designed for understeer. The track spec came with wider front wheels (6.5" width with 196/50) and made the Elise have a wee bit of oversteer. You'd be shocked on the driving experience if you go wider fronts. If by chance you in California (SF Bay Area), ping me. 🙂
Thanks for the invite, unfortunately I am on the East Coast - New Haven, Ct so I won't be able to take you up on your offer.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
are the 6.5 wheels a lotus product that is still available or should I look for an aftermarket wheel, if so what would you suggest?

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
you could start here: ETHOS Wheels — InoKinetic
I have two sets of these wheels. Great fit, good price, look great. No issues with them.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
I suggest getting the spacers to run miata wheels. 3mm front and 1" rear and buy super reliable light $120 wheels forever.

That said 90% of understeer that I see is either entering the corner too fast, or coming off the brakes too abruptly. Post video for real advice.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I suggest getting the spacers to run miata wheels. 3mm front and 1" rear and buy super reliable light $120 wheels forever.

That said 90% of understeer that I see is either entering the corner too fast, or coming off the brakes too abruptly. Post video for real advice.
For track, would you suggest 15s front and rear? I'm trying to find which Miata wheels with whatever offsets and combination of spacers will work without modifying my fenders. If I can get 225 fronts and 255 rears, that'd be nice.

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Early on when the Elise hit the states a lot of guys headed straight to the autocross course and found how easily they under steer. Legend was Lotus set them up that way deliberately, anticipating a number of new owners buying into the legendary handling of all things Lotus, but not having experience with snap oversteer common to mid/rear engine cars and getting themselves into trouble..not so much on the autocross course but when channeling their inner Jim Clark on an exit ramp or backroad twisties.

Folks soon found out removing shims put the car right.

·
Plural of Lotus is Lotus
373 Posts

In the linked thread there's a post by Randy, it is SPOT ON. Over drive the Elise/Exige into a corner and you'll understeer (forever). Brake earlier, use a little (not a lot) of trail brake, roll off the brakes smoothly and roll onto the throttle early and use the throttle to "steer" the backend of the car around the corner. Smooth, quick and rewarding.

Cheers,
Kiyoshi
What he said.....these cars have soo much capability, spend money on track time and instruction. Once you ring out all the performance the car has, then start adding "performance" enhancements. I'm going with the belief that the better I master the tools I have, the much better prepared I will be when the car is after-market improved.

I look at it like this....if I make the car more capable but still drive a bad line or use bad technique, Im never really getting faster.....

·
Premium Member
2006 Exige
641 Posts
For track, would you suggest 15s front and rear? I'm trying to find which Miata wheels with whatever offsets and combination of spacers will work without modifying my fenders. If I can get 225 fronts and 255 rears, that'd be nice.
225 in front may be too wide to get the heat in them required to make them sticky. I run 195/50/15fr 225/45/16 rear car is very neutral and tires get up to a good temperature(sticky). I don’t think you’re supercharged? So you don’t want really wide tires.
7” rims in front 8” in back should be good.
I didn’t realize you had a 5.5” rim in front,that won’t work.Sorry about that.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
225 in front may be too wide to get the heat in them required to make them sticky. I run 195/50/15fr 225/45/16 rear car is very neutral and tires get up to a good temperature(sticky). I don’t think you’re supercharged? So you don’t want really wide tires.
7” rims in front 8” in back should be good.
I didn’t realize you had a 5.5” rim in front,that won’t work.Sorry about that.
I went a little crazy and went from 180whp to 325whp lol.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts