The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
2005 Saffron Yellow Lotus Elise; 2008 Porsche Cayman S Porsche Design Edition 1: 2011 Audi S4 Manual
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love going out for very early morning spirited drives as the roads are virtually deserted, and a little excitement is a great way to start the day. 馃槉

As I had gone for a nice blast with a buddy on the weekend in my Elise, I decided to take my Cayman out for a couple of hours this morning before work. The drive on some local curvy roads was great as always, but on the way home on the highway, I had an unfortunate interaction with a freaking raccoon that decided it wanted to cross the highway just as I was coming by. I have been fortunate enough in my 27 years of driving to avoid having an accident, but today I wasn't so lucky! I swerved to try to avoid but I still caught him square on the left side of my bumper. After spouting a few choice expletives, I stopped to have a quick look and found myself staring at a totally cracked bumper (but thankfully undamaged radiator). 馃槫馃槧馃が

I calmed down and was thanking my lucky stars that I wasn't in my my Elise. Finding the silver lining in the situation, I realized that the front clam would have been TOAST and the insurance claim would have been damned hefty! 馃槗

Instead, it just looks a bumper replacement and some new Rennline radiator protection grill screens for the Cayman. As I wasn't in my Elise, it could have been A LOT worse...

I am thinking if Davey Crockett was in my shoes, that stupid (and now dead) raccoon would have provided him with him new headwear. 馃槈

Registered
2017 Evora 400
I was slowing down in my Elise to avoid a dead opossum in the middle of the road when the dumb f'ing kid in a Jeep slammed into me from behind and totaled it.

Registered
2005 Saffron Yellow Lotus Elise; 2008 Porsche Cayman S Porsche Design Edition 1: 2011 Audi S4 Manual
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was slowing down in my Elise to avoid a dead opossum in the middle of the road when the dumb f'ing kid in a Jeep slammed into me from behind and totaled it.
Brutal! That totally sucks, and sorry to hear that! Now I don't feel as bad...

Registered
07 Exige S
I had a similar experience years ago. I had driven across the country. lived in California a few months
( met some great LT souls out there)

When I got all the way back across the country, into Tennessee. I hit 3 possums crossing the highway. Slowed down, did not see blood, but it destroyed my Carbon Fiber Splitter. Welcome Home!

Unfortunately, your ride took a bit more damage than my expendable splitter... Hope you get it sorted without too much grief. Peacb

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Better a raccoon in the Porsche than a deer with the Elise! As happened to me a couple years ago 馃槻
Wow, I'm glad you lived through that! After I got home from my drive and told my wife about it, she said "be thankful you didn't hit a deer as that would have been WAY worse." That's a real shame that your Elise would have been a write-off though...

Premium Member
My experience with deer is not so much they jump in front you...they jump on top of you. It's like they have to time it perfectly to land dead square on the hood...and they're good at it.

Registered
2017 Evora 400
I've taken out 2 deer with 2 different LS400's. One jumped into the side in the rain and the other jumped out in front of me with me standing on the brakes.

Registered
Funny you should say that. I teach Emergency Vehicle Operations, and I talk about "suicidal deer" all the time in that class.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've taken out 2 deer with 2 different LS400's. One jumped into the side in the rain and the other jumped out in front of me with me standing on the brakes.
Wow, that's bad luck! Hopefully that's the last of your vehicle-animal interactions.馃憥

Registered
2017 Evora 400
Wow, that's bad luck! Hopefully that's the last of your vehicle-animal interactions.馃憥
Yeah, I've been lucky since, knock on wood. Besides the occasional squirrel, which I count in the GWoS (Global War on Squirrels,) now at 165 Enemy KIA.

Registered
Funny you should say that. I teach Emergency Vehicle Operations, and I talk about "suicidal deer" all the time in that class.
Question for you then, good sir鈥

I鈥檝e always gone with 鈥漵low down but don鈥檛 swerve under any circumstances鈥 - is that a good plan or not?

Am interested in an expert opinion! :)

Kevin

Registered
Question for you then, good sir鈥

I鈥檝e always gone with 鈥漵low down but don鈥檛 swerve under any circumstances鈥 - is that a good plan or not?

Am interested in an expert opinion! :)

Kevin
Yes, that is exactly what we teach - but then, we also have extremely heavy bumpers on our ambulances, so for the most part, they will take a hit from that suicidal deer with minimal damage. That said, the over correction that usually results from the swerve is usually worse than the initial problem, so slowing and not swerving is almost always the best course of action.

Hope that helps.

Registered
2017 Evora 400
That last one I tagged, I was going about 50 or so, 2 lane road, went over a bridge 2 miles from the house on the way home. I saw it jump out of the brush on the left side of the road and it started running mostly in the direction I was moving, coming in towards me some. I stood on the brakes, which on a LS400 are very capable. I said to myself "It's going to go for it" and just before we were side by side, it jumped right in front of me and I tagged it with the left headlight. Bent the hood, quarter panel, wiped out the headlight, of course, front bumper, grill, some slight door damage where it joins the fender, etc. Had I swerved, it would have been much worse and I still would have hit it, or it hit me. It rolled, dead. That's a 28 mega-grain bullet at 73 FPS, or 334,252 FT LBS. Beats an elephant rifle by a couple orders of magnitude.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts