The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to work this AM, interstate was a parking lot so I was taking the side road, 2 lane, good condition. Debris was in the road, so I slowed down to try to avoid it when WAM, some dumb f'ing kid in a new Jeep Liberty rear ends me. I somehow managed to not get head on'ed and got to the side of the road, bleeding. 9 staples in my scalp, sprained thumb and index finger, neck and back spasms, so far.

Geico towed it to a shop.

Now, I think the back of my head hit the roof bar just over the seat, causing the jagged laceration about 4cm long. Seems like that's a bad place to put a roof bar. Is this a previously seen occurrence? That certainly needs some serious roll bar type foam padding.

·
Registered
07 Exige S
1,666 Posts
Injury and insult...

Sorry man. Hope your feeling better soon and can get something newer and shiny to get your busted ride into the history file of your mind.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I hate seeing threads like this.
I really hope that you recover physically fast.
Kid was probably messing with his phone while driving.
As for the car, keep us posted on what will happen to it. Is it mainly just the rear clam and hatch?

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Glad to hear you are able to respond, that is a huge deal. And I agree on that bar...I have felt it once or twice and that is it not being in a accident.

Definitely curious on what happens with the car as well, as time progresses.

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think it's just the rear clam and hatch. Hit me so hard the stereo ejected itself out of the dash. No idea what else is damaged at this point. Insurance adjuster's preliminary: "It doesn't look good." Well, at least they didn't have to sweep this one up, unlike my last Lotus.

·
Closer than you think
2,222 Posts
Glad you're "Okay". I don't have high hopes for your car though...

BTW, how tall are you? I'm wondering if this phenomenon is associated with driver height...

·
Registered
196 Posts
Gosh that sucks... it's a fear I always consider when driving mine.

Just the other day I was at a stop light intersection with limited visibility to my left. In my experience a common intersection for people to blow the light.
Sure enough the light turns yellow for the traffic and several cars speed up to make the light. And then turns red...and then mine turns green..then what...

this with a load of gravel blows the red light flying by at about 60 MPH.
not actual truck, but close

I would have been killed instantly.

Good thing I waited and did not accelerate into the intersection WHEN I HAD THE FRIGGIN' RIGHT TO.
Anyway, sorry for the rant, glad you were not seriously injured.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Going to work this AM, interstate was a parking lot so I was taking the side road, 2 lane, good condition. Debris was in the road, so I slowed down to try to avoid it when WAM, some dumb f'ing kid in a new Jeep Liberty rear ends me. I somehow managed to not get head on'ed and got to the side of the road, bleeding. 9 staples in my scalp, sprained thumb and index finger, neck and back spasms, so far.

Geico towed it to a shop.

Now, I think the back of my head hit the roof bar just over the seat, causing the jagged laceration about 4cm long. Seems like that's a bad place to put a roof bar. Is this a previously seen occurrence? That certainly needs some serious roll bar type foam padding.
That sucks.

Watch out for concussion symptoms...

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, I'm fine, Wex. Did a year and a half of NSGY. I know the routine.

I'm 6', or 5'11.5" maybe today, give or take.

·
Registered
7,368 Posts
Sorry man. You just never know what a day will bring.

I've noticed how thin and hard that edge up there is. Even a piece of edging like on the back edge of a door might help.

·
** The Enforcer **
7,594 Posts
Sorry for your pains. I've been all over the world and find one thing in common, most people can't drive worth a damn.

San

·
Registered
2008 Exige S240
3,116 Posts
Again....jezzzz....every time I come on LT another Elise has been trashed.....I hope you are ok physically...I'm sure you are recounting the incident in your head and thinking that stupid mother *****r.

·
Premium Member
12,177 Posts
Glad you're "Okay". I don't have high hopes for your car though...

BTW, how tall are you? I'm wondering if this phenomenon is associated with driver height...
This was my question too. Yrs ago, read about 2 MB employees who traveled thru Europe investigating accidents involving their cars.

FIRST thing they did in their many rental cars: raise the headrest as high as it would go.

IIRC, one year, circa '96, only a few cars had safe seats with this in mind. One was my TT Supra; headrests built into seats, tall and couldn't be misadjusted.

OP, glad you are healing.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts