The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Owners,

I cant be more torn between one liking and hating one product... I purchased the stage 2 exhaust the day my car arived to my dealer. I waited until 1100 miles to do the install, the day after the install my car had the after sales service done.

Now the details, the DRONE is horrible, horrible, horrible....... When crusing at speeds that are for normal street use the car is just making god awful drone noises, then push the gas pedal to accel and you get hit with a furry of DRONE....

However, when going 100% at the road and the redline is being used over and over, the exhaust sounds much better, but I usually get more drone then anything.

This exhaust has recieved some good reviews from others on this board, I like it, when driving agressivley, but I would rather have a quieter car after making the swap.

The other side of things, I am willing to make someone a great deal on this product! I have already made a percise cut to the rear undertray for this exhaust, I am looking to sell the exhaust, swap the rear pannel, and if you are in Texas I will personaly do the install and swap...

Please PM me for details..

Thanks for listening!

ADam P

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
Get some miles on it, it calms down very noticeably once you get about 1,000 miles on it. The soot loads up on the internal fibers and increases their muffling effect.

Also, any of the exhausts will be louder from the inside when you use a hard top. This is due to the cabin gain effect which is low with the top off or when the top is flexible like the soft top.

Ever put a speaker near a corner and notice much more bass? Well with the hard top on any bassey sounds are effectively near ALL of the car's corners. Due to the small interior of the Elise, this will tend to occur below some higher than usual bass frequency.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I actually removed the hard top with in 30 minuets of owning the car! It will probably be next up for sale.....

This exhaust rocks in the upper cam, I will probably wait it out to see if you are right, or if any offers come along I may opt for a quieter version...!!..

I do like the look of the tips also!

Adam P

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
Another thing that can change the nature of the exhaust sound you hear inside a car is where the tips end. Under the car terminations tend to be the loudest. If the tips were extended back past the end of the car it would likely sound the same outside but be quieter inside the car.

Right now there are two aftermarket exhausts for the Elise that are readily available and in stock right now. The Lotus Stage 2 and the Quicksilver. Apparently the QS seems to be a hair louder than the Stage 2. In any event it has a different nature to the nonSPL aspects of the sound. QS is coming up with a quieter version and Lotus has the Stage 1 which is quieter than the Stage 2 and about which I haven't heard much.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Can you carry on a conversation with stage 2 exhaust and the hardtop on? How about listening to the radio?

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
I haven't noticed much of a drone with mine. I got the car wth 300miles on the odo. Mark Starr had been showing the car around a bit.
I don't have a hard top however.
The stage II sounds wonderful and gives me goose bumps while driving through a tunnel on the cams. It reminds me of a Formula 1 car sound...:drool:

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
I don't have a hardtop, but it seems to me to be quieter inside the car with the softop on than without. This is probably due to the softop both isolating and absorbing the sound. I like the sound of my Stage 2 especially with the top off.

I not sure about Stan's assessment of getting quieter with time. I have 2000 miles on my Stage 2 and it seems to have gotten louder. Then again, this could just be perception. It's really hard to tell.

All in all, I am very happy with the Stage 2 sound.
I hope my neighbors like it also. None have complained yet.

·
Registered
5,356 Posts
Adam P

Off topic, but please consider submitting pix #2 & #4 to the Club111 calendar. Go to the EliseTalk Image Gallery to submit.

Just gorgeous!!! :clap:

Kiyoshi

·
Registered
361 Posts
Adam,

I'm in Austin and might be interested. I've driven the Autostrada demo car with the Stage 2 and really liked it.

However, I was just about to click and buy a QuickSilver from Shinoo, but would consider your stage 2 if you really want to get rid of it.

PM me a price.

-Dave
'05 Lotus Elise (BRP, Touring, Hardtop)
'00 911C2
'03 Evolution VIII
'89 BMW M3 (for sale)

·
shay2nak
25,083 Posts
khamai said:
Adam P

Off topic, but please consider submitting pix #2 & #4 to the Club111 calendar. Go to the EliseTalk Image Gallery to submit.

Kiyoshi
That 2nd pic is gorgeous. It's one of the best representations of CO I've seen. Is the color accurate?

·
Registered
5,165 Posts
khamai said:
Adam P

Kiyoshi
I second that. The very last picture would work perfectly for the calendar (015.jpg).

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Vantage said:
I second that. The very last picture would work perfectly for the calendar (015.jpg).
You are more then welcome to use these pics for anything you like, callender uncluded!

I will supmit them as you asked!

I am thinking about waiting for the 1k mark on the exhaust, if I can not get used to it I may sell it, I will pm those who asked!

Also, my car seems light in the rear end with the lighter rear, and the car sits a tad higher, I measured!

Adam P

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
>>>I not sure about Stan's assessment of getting quieter with time. I have 2000 miles on my Stage 2 and it seems to have gotten louder. Then again, this could just be perception. It's really hard to tell. <<<

Maybe it's leaking? Some have found minor leaks with the QS near it's entrance tube - all that was needed was some minor labor to fix it up.

I've loved my Stage 2 from day one....but at sane times it did seem a bit resonant at first. That boominess faded away. Or maybe I went deaf! I'm using either no top or the touring soft top at the moment.

Seriously fiber filled performance exhausts do tend to quiet down a bit...happens all the time with other cars such as BMWs. But since you have hit 2000 miles, it's done changing...it is what it will be by now.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Adam P said:
Also, my car seems light in the rear end with the lighter rear, and the car sits a tad higher, I measured!
Oh, if that is all that's troubling now, I may have a pair of 50 pound cannister ballasts from out of an old Corvair convertible for you. :D You'd still have more than half your trunk space left.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Stan said:
>>>I not sure about Stan's assessment of getting quieter with time. I have 2000 miles on my Stage 2 and it seems to have gotten louder. Then again, this could just be perception. It's really hard to tell. <<<

Maybe it's leaking? Some have found minor leaks with the QS near it's entrance tube - all that was needed was some minor labor to fix it up.

I loved my Stage 2 from day one....but at sane times it did seem a bit resonant at first. That boominess faded away. Or maybe I went deaf! I'm using either no top or the touring soft top at the moment.

Seriously fiber filled performance exhausts do tend to quiet down a bit...happens all the time with other cars such as BMWs. But since you have hit 2000 miles, it's done changing...it is what it will be by now.
I don't think it's leaking. I love the sound of it and it may have gotten quieter.......but my driving style may have gotten louder!

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
FYI-I have th QS exhaust, love it, but it is loud and is has not gotten appreciably quieter in 1500 miles. The connections were all checked out, too. No issues there. With the top(s) on, it does drone. Conversation still possible, though, unless I'm romping on it.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What is the best method to ensure that the exhaust is not leaking? The tube which meats up with the actual down pipe had a lot of movement in it, it was secured with some bolts with springs (I was laying there on my backing thinking that the springs would loose tention over time due to all the heat?). I might have a leaking exhaust.....

ADam P

Stan said:

I've loved my Stage 2 from day one....but at sane times it did seem a bit resonant at first. That boominess faded away. Or maybe I went deaf! I'm using either no top or the touring soft top at the moment.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Surferjer said:
FYI-I have th QS exhaust, love it, but it is loud and is has not gotten appreciably quieter in 1500 miles. The connections were all checked out, too. No issues there. With the top(s) on, it does drone. Conversation still possible, though, unless I'm romping on it.
I went for my first drive last night with my QS. When the engine is not accelerating or decelerating, I swear it is much quieter than stock. With the HT on there is significant resonance at about 3300rpm but I dont think it is much noisier than stock. Idling seems quieter. I didn't want a loud exhaust and I am prety happy with the QS. Hopefully going to dyno it this morning. If I haven't lost power I'll be grinning more than usual :D

1 - 20 of 81 Posts