The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I heard the Elise doesn't have a "step-on-clutch-first" feature to start the car.

So, if you start the Elise while in first gear, will it just lurch forward if the parking brake is on? Or, if the parking brake isn't on, will it keep going?

I'm already use to stepping on the clutch before I start because of my old cars. I just what to make sure to double reinforce that in my mind with the Elise if it will lurch forward.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
You are correct -- the starter will move the car forward if it's in low gear. There is no clutch interlock.

In fact, there have already been reports here of uninitiated drivers ramming parking tombstones under battery power.

It's one of those things I don't worry about for my own driving, but more for lending the car out or valet parking.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
I'm surprised Lotus didn't take the effort to install such a switch in our cars. While I personally don't see any need for it, I view this as one of those things that could land Lotus in court someday with the way some people go crazy with lawsuits in this country. They were so careful to indicate that our roofs may leak (LARGE warning sticker), I'm surprised they overlooked such a simple thing as this.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I call this the Le Mans start capability, in the days when the drivers ran across the road to the cars jumped in and speed off, they would not fasten their harnesses. Rather they would jump in and hit start in gear and take off and fasten the harnesses on the way. I think this is a standard feature Lotus could charge more for, the Le Mans start option.
Lotus, here is an opportunity to charge a little more!

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So in theory, I can just hit "Start" and floor it? Or, just floor it and then hit start?! :D

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
I guess I am just so accustomed to driving old cars that dont have that feature that I always put the car in neutral when I start it. It's not really necessary to have the lock out...just one more electronic bit to add and cause potential problems down the road.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Ground Loop said:
It's one of those things I don't worry about for my own driving, but more for lending the car out or valet parking.
Who would lend an Elise or more so, let a valet park it!

They have enough trouble with my BMW SMG M3!

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Why would I want another d*mn Nanny in the car.
You get in a dedicated sports car and drive it, not worry about wot it ain't got .

Lotus should have thought of a corruption of the VW slogan: Drivers wanted- Not Whingers.
m.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts