The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was hunting a vacuum leak on my '05 N/A Elise and I found the problem, but I don't understand what the heck this part is :huh:. I work with engines all day long and am scratching my head at what the purpose of this part would be in a N/A engine. The red vacuum line runs to this part via a tee connection, and then is just hanging out sucking air in the open. The other line of this part looks like it was supposed to be routed somewhere, but someone just wound up the vacuum line, zip tied it in a bundle, and tried to cap it off. The caps fell off somewhere down the line, so now these are just open to atmosphere, causing hunting at idle. When I plug the lines, problem is solved.

Mystery part

Red vacuum line coming from intake manifold

Vacuum leak is from top hose

It reminds me of some kind of electronic valve that actuates a part on/off with vacuum. Maybe this is supposed to be for superchaged Elise models and Lotus just zip tied it off? Perhaps this is what would be plumbed to the supercharger bypass valve. Anyone know?

I bought the car used so I don't want to assume anything incorrectly and this is actually used for something important. However, this really looks like it could be removed from the engine bay.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
i have no idea but some people return aftermarket s/c modded cars to stock, before selling their cars. Stock cars are easier to sell, so maybe an artifact from a previous owners removed modification?

·
Registered
378 Posts
I can't answer the question of what it is, but it was originally routed to the stock air box, which appears long gone on your engine.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I should have mentioned that mine has a Fujita cold air intake. No other engine mods. Still not sure what this would be used for on an airbox though.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
That is the VSV, vacuum solenoid valve, which operated an intake flap in the stock airbox.
I don't know if it needs to stay plugged in to keep the ECU happy, but I left mine connected when I changed intakes (and plugged the hose that went to the air flap) and had no codes.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the reply! I am going to remove it then and plug the hole in the manifold.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I got mine disconnected, taped out and just hanging.
No CEL..
Have a Katana S/C.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I know this is an old thread but does anyone know where the vacuum hose comes into the engine bay? The hose that comes from the brake booster thats sapose to plug to the intake manifold

1 - 9 of 9 Posts