The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Unmatched Tires-Is this a problem

3K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  fitfan 
#1 ·
I purchased two rear tire from Sector111; they just arrived. I ordered Yokohamas and they sent me Toyos.

Is it a bad idea to run Yokohamas on the front and Toyos on the back? Or do I need to send these back?

I suspected there would be trouble when the 111 chick on the phone didn't know that tires come in different sizes. Sector111 screws me again...

#3 ·
As long as they are the right size and they are the same left and right, it dosn't matter if the front and back are different.

#7 ·
To some extent it depends on your plans with the tires and why the (possibly) difference in opinions.

If you are talking street driving and not pushing the car, the change in grip from the tires heating up should not really be an issue. If you are doing anything that pushes the tires (track days, autocross, or spirited street/canyon driving), then the rate of the tires heating up certainly does matter and one should be very careful about mixing tires.

Simply put, you can have a situation where one end gets better grip than the other which will cause understeer (if it the rear gripping better) or oversteer (if it is the front). Oversteer specially can be problematic on this car if you drive near 10/10ths.

#8 ·
i have never talked to anyone (elise/exige) with different tire types front/rear that were happy with the handling - do yourself a favour, and have them send you the "right" tires. otherwise you may be chasing mysterious handling issues.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.