The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I saw my first Elise in person. Wow!

The car had red leather interior and was just delivered. I noticed that there was substantial wear on the bottom side bolster of the driver's seat on the side closest to the door. The leather already showed signs of wear and the stitching was starting to fray. It looked like there might be a metal bar inside the seat that was contributing to the wear.

There couldn't have been more than 20 people in and out of the car, with no demo rides. Has anyone else noticed this on other cars?

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Sounds like a warranty issue, I haven't seen any of the new cars I've seen. The drivers left side bolster will take a beating, that's why they have the tough fabric in that area.

Chris

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Chris,

Thanks for your reply. And congrats on being the 1st in the U.S. I've been a lurker on this forum since last October (when I put my deposit down), and have really appreciated all your insights. Frankly, you seem to know more than my dealer.

The wear was on the side of the bottom portion of the seat, the place that would hug your left thigh, and was about half way front-to-back. I've never seen leather wear so fast.

Randy

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Could the car you saw have been one of the show cars? They were built with preproduction parts, and many changes have since been incorporated to the interior. There was a silver show car with red leather interior, is that the one?

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Did the car have electric windows, or manual? The show car did not have electric windows, but every production Elise with red interior should.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Red,
Thanks.

Are you sure that's not the LA show car? It's silver with red interior.

I misread the original post and thought it was your car. Seems like it'd have to be the LA show car. Only the one silver red customer car I've heard about so far my friend just got.

That's not an area you'd tend to see a lot of wear in, Lotus leather in my experience has held up pretty well. The place that always wears first is the side bolster where they've put the fabric now.

Chris

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is the Storm Titanium, Touring Pack with red leather car that was just delivered to Overseas Motors in Dallas. Definitely NOT a show car.

·
Registered
249 Posts
zvezdah1 said:
Lotus leather in my experience has held up pretty well. The place that always wears first is the side bolster where they've put the fabric now.
Interesting concept.

So, if the only reason to be planning on the touring pack was strictly for the leather vs cloth seats, would I not be gaining any longevity in the seats by doing so? Ok by me, since I could then put the cost of the touring pack to another use. I had been concerned that there are the cloth inserts but hoped their positioning really didn't get enough abuse to worry about.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
I've always found the leather to hold up extremely well if properly maintained, worse case is having to re lacquer the bolster on a seat which i did on a car I had some years ago.
Chris

·
Registered
249 Posts
I have always had my cloth seats in cars become thread bare, and although a little care is involved with the leather, haven't had wearing or cracks to be an issue (yet). Am I thinking incorrectly, then? Are the cloth seats expected to be of similar durability and, therefore, a nonissue for deciding?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
For what it is worth, I am still getting the leather.

Who knows, maybe this wear resulted from someone stepping on the seat cushion while they attempted to get in/out of the car. Or, it could have been from a cellphone, blackberry, pda or other "seat hazard" hanging off someone's belt.

The good news for me is that I am far enough down the list that (1) if it is a design flaw, it should be fixed by then, and (2) the dealer will have a demo by then, so casual customers won't be getting in/out of MY car. Did I say being far down the list was a good thing ??? Repeat after me, "the glass is half full, the glass is half full ..."

·
Registered
687 Posts
RedWine said:
Thanks a bunch, Dan. Now my glass is half empty.
Everyone else (including me) who is getting the Touring pack is in the same boat. In the end, it's only a seat. I'm more worried about the engine problems people are already experiencing.

If the seats are having that problem just after taking delivery, I would guess Lotus would fix it under warranty.

I'm gonna be quite paranoid about letting people into my car (don't slam the doors, don't step on the seats, don't grab the windshield frame, etc.). I was appalled when I saw someone step on the seats of one of the cars at the L.A. show.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Dan,

Thanks for the posts. Guess I need to work on my use of the ;) symbol, since my humor may not have come through.

You are right, it is just a seat. I took a close look at Racer X's great pictures of the seats of this car in another post and it looks like they may have been able to at least cover up the problem through detailing.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
It's funny that the TSB claims that the problem would be resolved in 2001. Sure enough, 2001 Miata's came with completely different seats. They still wore along that seam on the bolster though! Perhaps not as badly as the '99-00, since I haven't noticed wear on one of those.

I used Lexol cleaner and conditioner on the seats, but it didn't seem to do much. I think there is some kind of coating that prevents the conditioner from being absorbed. It was much more effective on the steering wheel and shift knob.

Happy with my cloth seats in the two-years-older '99 Miata. I did have to repair a tear in the vinyl on the underside of the seat that was there from the previous-previous owner. Super-thin vinyl + UV => easy to rip.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts