The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently driving my new 08 S240 on a dull boring interstate drive on a 90 mile trip.

Nice weather, not much traffic, cruising around 80 (which is quite sedate on this interstate where the space shuttle could probably to touch & go's :cool:).

I notice a car coming up the inside lane very quickly and see the Accord sedan come up and start pacing me, but doing so directly at my side. Ok, no biggie, the Lotus is a bit atypical.

Then it gets weird, he pulls in front of me, slows down. I slow, get tired of this, pass him, he does passes me again, I slow.....

ok

Now some completely different guy merges in his Pontiac Fiero complete with racing stripes and boost gauges up the A Post.

He starts pacing me too, and passing.

Between the two of the guys they start doing some really dumb moves, cutting me and each other off.

Despite my slowing, they linger. After one of then nearly rear ends a slower going tractor trailer I take off. Well into triple digits speeds in a trooper-infested area I just kept of and quickly lost the 2 clowns.

After slowing to a reasonable speed and continuing on my way I see a Crown Vic on a bridge and he quickly takes a position behind me and follows for a while.

The clowns eventually catch up and stay back.

Deputy pulls me over, I immediately hand over my license & insurance. Says someone reported "drag racing".

I expected this and explained the situation. As I make my defense the Accord flies by and is ignored by the deputy. They other waiting deputies in the median jumped on the Fiero.

Basically the Fiero driver stated he just wanted to see my car.

I told the officer: "Listen, this car clearly attracts enough attention on it's own.... There are much less-aggressive ways to admire a moving car...."

He agreed and said (despite my admitted really high speed escape) that they'd keep the Fiero driver and let me get some distance and let me go. Then he said "I like your car!"

·
Registered
470 Posts
great story. i have had few people do the "do you want to race" moves in their cars. i would gladly show them the car. some people make no sense

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Next time just pull over and let the douchebags keep driving. No sense speeding to get away and making it look like a street race when you know cops will get involved. It really is tough and takes a lot of modesty to pull over while on a freeway, but it is the most logical solution to any idiot trying to bully you into racing.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Next time just pull over and let the douchebags keep driving. No sense speeding to get away and making it look like a street race when you know cops will get involved. It really is tough and takes a lot of modesty to pull over while on a freeway, but it is the most logical solution to any idiot trying to bully you into racing.

This makes complete sense and is the most prudent option.

But, this was like a paparazzi attack. I imagine if I stopped, so would they. I just tire of having the silly, dumb, and/or ignorant hacks interfere with my day. I chose to outrun them.

Though, if I were contacting my lawyer this week I'd probably agree with you more!

·
Registered
774 Posts
Where did this happen? The Fiero sounds ominously like my son's! :eek: Just wondering now if daddy is gonna be helping defend him for yet another ticket or not? :huh: Although in all honesty, that does not sound like his driving habit, as I guarantee he would not interfere with you, if it was him, in any way. After all - he already knows what a Lotus Exige is all about, so he should, have no need. :p

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Where did this happen? The Fiero sounds ominously like my son's! :eek: Just wondering now if daddy is gonna be helping defend him for yet another ticket or not? :huh: Although in all honesty, that does not sound like his driving habit, as I guarantee he would not interfere with you, if it was him, in any way. After all - he already knows what a Lotus Exige is all about, so he should, have no need. :p
Southern Illinois

·
Registered
774 Posts
Nope. Not him. ...Phew! ;)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Seems to go with the territory - idiots wanting to race you. I try and ignore them for a variety of reasons not least that it would take really serious speeds to shake of some of the big diesel cars that infest our roads.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts