The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Great weather in Hethel yesterday as I committed mistake after mistake on the Lotus track with ex-forumula driver Martin Donnelly sitting in the seat next to me. It didn't hit me until afterward that I had a formula 1 driver mashing my throttle foot to the firewall with his foot. I wasn't going fast enough. Nice track, roughly the size of Lime Rock.

Got a tour of Classic Team Lotus which restores and maintains the great and valuable race-winning Lotus formula cars of the past. They've got Andretti's, Peterson's, Jim Clark's and other luminary cars in their shop, all owned and campaigned by private owners. A Japanese gentleman just won the historic race at Monaco a few weeks ago in Ronnie Peterson's car. Also fascinating to see the early '60s cars where the driver had the fuel tank directly under his seat. Yikes! Met Clive Chapman.

In the race shop I saw many current Evoras and Exiges prepared in various race configurations for their owners. As well, a roughly current formula 1 car that you can buy from Lotus for a million pounds. Apparently a recent buyer has driven his once and it scared him so much that he hasn't driven it since.

Richard Parramint said that the issue that's blocking the Exige v6 from the U.S. is the requirement for "smart airbag" technology for the passenger seat. Testing and certification would be too expensive.

Can't get jack for new product information out of these guys.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I did the tour a few years ago and it was awesome. I didn't do the driving bit so it's on my list for the next trip;)

The T125 is a thing to behold, it looks awesome

·
Registered
220 Posts
Tesla just opened all their patents, Lotus could just use their airbag tech and wouldn't have to spend a penny :shrug:

·
Elise newb
342 Posts
Tesla just opened all their patents, Lotus could just use their airbag tech and wouldn't have to spend a penny :shrug:
Tesla opened up patents, not specific designs. There would be a healthy bit of engineering to implement the new airbags. Then, they would still have to certify their implementation. The only real solution to this problem is to push the DoT and NHTSA to harmonize regulations with Europe. But that won't happen.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts