The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Update on engine removal and work: TURBO LOOKS DAMAGED

3K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  ESPREE 
#1 ·
Hi all,

After having bought a 2001 lotus esprit I have had nothing but a series of unfortunate events:

1) engine sprung massive oil leak. (crank seal looks to be the culprit)
2) timing belts look like they are due
3) car has 3 trouble codes: 2 o2 sensor codes and Idle air valve

After pulling the engine I found that this car has been neglected. everything looks worn and I have spent a fortune on new parts.

All and all it is what it is except now I discovered This:

The turbo fins look damaged. (see picture)

my question is this. I read that the V8 esprits have Garrett T3/60 turbos
I have also heard they are actually T-25 turbos.

my question is this. WHAT is the turbo on the esprit? where can I get a replacement? anyone do any upgrades? any info is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Yup, they are Lotus specific T25 turbos. There are many options when it comes to plug-n-play turbo upgrades from mild compressor wheel & bearing upgrade to full custom billet compressor & turbine upgrades. Question is what are your goals?

#5 ·
Just had mine rebuilt at "turbo of Dallas" in Texas. Haven't put many miles on them yet because it is still in the shop, but they look new now. About $500 each. I would suggest doing both.

As for what caused it, it could be debris from your air filters or air boxes. Definitely check your filters and the boxes themselves to see if there is anything in there. I saw a thread once where the plastic in the air box housing was basically falling apart and sending debris down to the turbos.

#7 ·
The turbine housing and wheel is mostly only used on the Esprit but most of the parts are available from Garrett. A rebuild with new compressor wheels should be from $1k and up for the pair: might as well upgrade the compressor wheels.

#10 ·
+1 for majestic. It is a simple rebuild. I would upgrade to a ball bearing design through garret as the boost is regulated buy the existing diapghram. Just need same cfm. That damage is not from bearing failure but from debris pulled in! Check intake because the same damage will occur on a new unit. Not sure of actual flow dynamics of the stock wheel but I am sure there are units available for upgrades. Btw majestic has been around forever! Used them in the early 90's tommy

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

#11 ·
GT2860 compressor wheel and t28 turbine wheels make a great combination and will fit on the CHARA shaft of a stock T25 turbo, only requires minor machining of the stock housings. Ditto on the debris getting to the existing wheel. Rebuild both turbos. I would stay away from converting to ball bearing turbos, the oil supply needs to be restricted as ball bearings do not require or want the amount of oil flow as journal bearings.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.