The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as many of you know, I purchased a 1987 HCi back in mid-June. Unfortunately, I had some bad luck, and the transmission area started making a horrible sound about a week after I bought the car.

I immediately stopped driving the car. With an intense work schedule due to a large project at my job, I knew I wouldn't have the time to work on it myself, so an appointment was made with a trusted local race and exotics shop. Busy summer schedule coupled with an expansion of the shop meant it took a while before they could get to the car.

As the transmission needed to be pulled, and I wanted a timing belt change, the engine/transmission were removed from the car.

Leaking water pump and valve cover gaskets were discovered, so those were added to the list. Also, upon removal of the intake tube to the turbo, damage to the impeller blades was observed.

After the transmission was separated, and the clutch assembly removed, it was discovered that there is NO crank shaft damage. However, the rear main seal is leaking pretty good. The horrible sound was tracked down to coming from a beaten up and worn out throw-out bearing.

Unfortunately, it turned out that the new throw-out bearing I received with the car was not correct, so I'll have to shell out the $$$ for a correct one.

Re-assembly should be starting soon, and I expect I'll have the car back in a few weeks, so I should have SOME driving time before I have to put in hibernation.

The complete list of work getting done:

Timing belt + tensioner
All three accessory belts
Water pump rebuild
Valve cover gaskets
Turbo rebuild
Clutch slave cylinder replacement
Flywheel resurface
Clutch disc, pressure plate, throw-out bearing, spigot bearing
Input shaft circlip upgrade

Definitely not how I hoped/expected to kick-off Esprit ownership, so hopefully nothing else expensive goes wrong after I get the car back.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Some pictures:

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Ouch...really sorry to hear that.

On a good note, very happy to hear that there was no damage to the crankshaft. After all the work is done, you will have one nicely sorted Esprit! :)

For the benefit of the rest of us, can you please let us know how much all this cost or will cost? It would be most helpful.

Hoping you can still get in some fun driving this season before the snow and winter storage comes.

Roy

·
shay2nak
25,171 Posts
wow. Good luck. I hope it all works out.

·
Super Moderator
4,248 Posts
S[snip]
The complete list of work getting done:

Timing belt + tensioner
All three accessory belts
Water pump rebuild
Valve cover gaskets
Turbo rebuild
Clutch slave cylinder replacement
Flywheel resurface
Clutch disc, pressure plate, throw-out bearing, spigot bearing
Input shaft circlip upgrade

Definitely not how I hoped/expected to kick-off Esprit ownership, so hopefully nothing else expensive goes wrong after I get the car back.
The car IS 26 years old so in a sense the above work is not unexpected for the age. My car @ 62K miles is similar to yours. However, my turbo (when they did the circlip fix) was in really good shape - no vane damage or shaft play at 60K miles.

Also, my understanding is the flywheel is a 'flexible' flywheel (to smooth out engine roughness without adding balance shafts for the 2.2L displacement). I don't believe you can machine the thin flywheel.

Don't forget replacement of the valve tappets. I believe Tim E had detected a trend where the valve followers were cracking around the ~60K mile range. Since you're going to have the valves likely to be adjusted, good time to do it.

And catching the circlip issue BEFORE it damaged the crankshaft - definitely a good thing.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Don't think that with all of this work you are done. My bet is you are going to find a bunch of stuff with the electrical system too. At least your powertrain should be in good shape. That is where the big bucks are.
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Ah, always with the sunshine and rainbows, eh, Dave?

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
I try to be realistic. What you are doing is mostly mechanical work and Lotus's (like Deloreans) are not known for their reliable electrical systems. Especially after 30 years. And you will be disturbing a LOT of connections. The good news is that fixes for the electrical system are not expensive, just time consuming. All that damage to the turbo, WOW, I wonder what it ate? And that looks like the air side.
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
wow. Good luck. I hope it all works out.
Thank you. It is in the hands of a great team of mechanics; I'm just hoping I get some decent driving time in before the North Eastern winter sets in.

For the benefit of the rest of us, can you please let us know how much all this cost or will cost? It would be most helpful.

Hoping you can still get in some fun driving this season before the snow and winter storage comes.

Roy
Sure; the bill is approximately $4,000 right now. About half of that is labor. They had the engine out in a few hours, most of the labor is in doing the other work, and in particular dealing with a large number of broken exhaust bolts.

·
Registered
134 Posts
You should get the Alunox header that they are still doing the group buy for at the lotus forums. It's a vast improvement and you wont have to pull the engine for a cracked old manifold...
This is also a good time to massage the intake (match ports etc.) It won't cost that much more.

Good luck with everything..

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Thanks...that was most helpful...much appreciated!

Wow...that is actually a lot less than I had expected after having seen your list. In the past, I myself have paid a lot more for less...far, far less. :( Sounds like you have a great mechanic. Like I always say, a good mechanic is worth his or her weight in gold! :)

With the exception of one especially frustrating problem (which turned out to be fairly simple in the end) during Mikey's ownership, that car was rock solid reliable for years so I would say chances are good that you should be just fine when you get her back.

As always, wishing you the very best!

Roy

Thank you. It is in the hands of a great team of mechanics; I'm just hoping I get some decent driving time in before the North Eastern winter sets in.

Sure; the bill is approximately $4,000 right now. About half of that is labor. They had the engine out in a few hours, most of the labor is in doing the other work, and in particular dealing with a large number of broken exhaust bolts.

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,396 Posts
You should get the Alunox header
Isn't that header designed for the Renault-transmission cars with the integral wastegate?

The older cars don't usually suffer from damaged exhaust manifolds because the exhaust is bolted to the Citroen transaxle (less flex and vibration). I had my stocker Jet-Hot coated while it was off the car.

Jet-Hot Ceramic Coatings

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here's a picture of the turbo, ready to be sent out for rebuild:

·
Registered
383 Posts
Luckily, turbos are pretty cheap to repair these days. I want to say I had my compressor wheel replaced with similar damage to yours and a full rebuild was under $400. Might as well get the wheels upgraded to something a bit bigger while you're in there. :D

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,396 Posts
Might as well get the [turbo] wheels upgraded to something a bit bigger while you're in there. :D
How big can you go with the Bosch FI system? Maybe S2KSeven would know.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorry folks, won't be doing any turbo/power upgrades. Focusing ($$$) on getting the car solidly repaired and brought up on maintenance.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Sorry to hear you are starting off with a less than great expereince here...I know Mike was due for a timing belt soon...either way, look at it as a C service that was due anyways...the TO bearing and turbo are just bad luck...

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks Joe.

From your signature, I see you have an Evora? You're in Buffalo, right? Would love to see the Evora after I get my Esprit back.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I've had my flywheel machined upon installing a new clutch two winters back, with no problems at all. The car is very smooth now, the clutch area was toast in my car back then.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts