The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well we did some Dyno days against the BWR and some pulls. For the life of me I couldn't figure out why I wasn't putting out more power. Also I couldn't figure out why in 4th gear pulls I couldn't keep up withthe BWR sc cars.

Well I figured maybe my air box wasn't opening, but that turned out to not be the problem. So Stan & I swaped back to the stock 3.4" Katana Pulley. After that Stan took a drive with Ivan1 and they both noticed the car wasn't showing Boost on the Innovate guage. After an inspection, first thinking the Innovate went screwy, I discovered that the line running from the manifold to my sensor was leaking badly. This line was T'ed off of the Silicone tube that opens and closes the Bypass Valve. Unfortunately that son of a bitch line is under the SC mannifold. Well I cursed and then some how manage to fit my oversized hand under the manifold to place a new tube onto my T. Only took about an hour, and believe it or not, I did not get burned nor cut my hand or arm up.

So I drove her today and guess what, the throttle response is fabulous again and the Kangaroo bucking that I was seeing upon lifting after making boost was gone. Apparently this line must have started leaking shortly after my inital install.

So now I have the stock Katana 3.4 and want to now go back and compare the stock Katana against a stock BWR SC on the dyno and by pulls and datalogging.

I figure if I was able to make similar power and pull as well as I did with a huge boost leak, then my SC should kick but against the BWR kit. Also I want to see if my upgraded Water/Meth injection will now make some power.

·
00 MRS - 2ZZ NA
1,228 Posts
Have you dyno'd gains from running the water injection with the supercharger on the katana tune, and not having a custom tune for it???

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Glad to hear you may have solved the problem....thanks again for the ride and the hospitality...please tell your daughter I was only kidding about white not being the fastest color :D

·
Registered
223 Posts
Scott,

I'm glad to see you were able to resolve this issue.

BM's BS-ing you, I didn't hear anyone secretly poking fun at you during our recent Cinco di Mayo run, particularly this BWR owner.

BAD MIKEY, BAD BOY! :thwack:

Glad to hear you found the problem. The BWR guys were secretly poking fun at you :p

What's that smell? It's the beautiful aroma of a DYNO DAY in the future!!!

·
Vendor
6,306 Posts
Scott,

BM's BS-ing you, I didn't hear anyone secretly poking fun at you during our recent Cinco di Mayo run, particularly this BWR owner.

Scott, glad you're up and running... If it helps, as you know I don't have the BWR or Katana anymore and I was *also* making fun of you for getting spanked by the stock BWRs-poke-rotfl:D:D:D

Now go get'em:evil:

Cheers,

Phil

·
Registered
223 Posts
Scott, glad you're up and running... If it helps, as you know I don't have the BWR or Katana anymore and I was *also* making fun of you for getting spanked by the stock BWRs-poke-rotfl:D:D:D

Now go get'em:evil:

Cheers,

Phil
rotfl :D rotfl :D rotfl :D

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Scott,

Well put it this way, you barely squeaked out a gain while I had relatively huge boost leak. Definitely explains why you were only able to pull away in 4th gear. Let's see where you are now against me.

I say Dyno Day, Pull Day. Oh and now I'm back to the 3.4 pulley so we will be comparing apples to apples and I'm willing to spot the probably extra 100-200 lbs that my car will have over yours.

Looser buys drinks and pays for Mikey's meal!

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Have you dyno'd gains from running the water injection with the supercharger on the katana tune, and not having a custom tune for it???
I created a setup that varies the amount of Water/Meth injection by the activity of the fuel injectors. Also it will only inject when the SC is making positive pressure. Essentially it is mapped to match the fuel injector maps.

I haven't Dynoed it yet, but I figure as long as I don't loose any power, it will be successful.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Well put it this way, you barely squeaked out a gain while I had relatively huge boost leak. Definitely explains why you were only able to pull away in 4th gear. Let's see where you are now against me.

I say Dyno Day, Pull Day. Oh and now I'm back to the 3.4 pulley so we will be comparing apples to apples and I'm willing to spot the probably extra 100-200 lbs that my car will have over yours.

Looser buys drinks and pays for Mikey's meal!
Man you're a sore looser & I didn't even bust your balls about it, not a word!!!

... and I wouldn't call 1/2 to almost a full car length distance in 4th gear: "squeaked out."

You're on big guy! :evil: Drinks that is, not Mikey's meal. You've seen him eat, he doesn't even use utensils as it tends to slow him down...

Let's plan for later next month as I'm heading out to SF, CA for the ADA conference & will not be back until the middle of June.

BTW, there's no freakin way your car weighs 200 lbs more than mine (even with all your gadgets). Now if we're talking physical body weight, well that's another story. -poke-

·
Registered
836 Posts
I am trying to decide if I should by a new Elise SC, a Katana, or a BWR SC.

I looks like I will get the katana or bwr unit, not sure yet.

Would like to install before LOG28 :shift:

·
Registered
740 Posts
I am trying to decide if I should by a new Elise SC, a Katana, or a BWR SC.

I looks like I will get the katana or bwr unit, not sure yet.

Would like to install before LOG28 :shift:
It looks like there will be a third SC option somewhere later this year: http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f160/new-sc-kit-54896/
No date is known when this will become available.
Per dyno's published in this thread, it's quite a bit more powerful than the BWR of Katana although it costs more (announced price is $6,200).

·
Registered
815 Posts
So I drove her today and guess what, the throttle response is fabulous again and the Kangaroo bucking that I was seeing upon lifting after making boost was gone. Apparently this line must have started leaking shortly after my inital install.
I get a similar thing happening on my stock Katana kit. After making boost, when I lift the throttle, the car will sometimes buck once or twice. Sounds like the exact same thing.

In full disclosure....I did forget to put hose clamps on the blue vacuum line during my install, but I don't think that would cause a problem. The hose still appears fully seated on both ends. I figured i'd install the clamps when i install my boost gauge.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Man you're a sore looser & I didn't even bust your balls about it, not a word!!!

... and I wouldn't call 1/2 to almost a full car length distance in 4th gear: "squeaked out."

You're on big guy! :evil: Drinks that is, not Mikey's meal. You've seen him eat, he doesn't even use utensils as it tends to slow him down...

Let's plan for later next month as I'm heading out to SF, CA for the ADA conference & will not be back until the middle of June.

BTW, there's no freakin way your car weighs 200 lbs more than mine (even with all your gadgets). Now if we're talking physical body weight, well that's another story. -poke-
Scotty, maybe you should try pulls again with a little handicap, like Mikey in the passenger seat.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts