The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
I think I isolated the squeak today.

The faint bird like chirping I described, that is emanating from the engine bay seems to be related to the clutch. OR clutch pedal.

Another member pointed out that it could be a throw out bearing, therefore I waited for the squeak to start up and pushed the clutch pedal in.......then the squeak stopped.

I also noted that I can barely touch the clutch pedal and the chirping stops.
If I push the clutch pedal in very lightly , like 1/2 inch or so possibly even less, the chirping completely stops.
The clutch is nowhere near engagement when I do this.
I'm just barely pushing down on the clutch pedal very lightly and the noise completely goes away.

Someone tell me this is an adjustment and that I'm not in need of a new clutch.

additionally I found this.

CLUTCH NOISE
If you hear chirping while idling in neutral and the noise goes away when the pedal is slowly depressed, the fork/pivot ball contact point is making the noise

What in the hell is a fork pivot ball?

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
I 've recently noticed a squeek from behind me when I push the clutch pedal in. At least when the car is cold. I wonder if that's bad, too?

What in the hell is a fork pivot ball?

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nah not the same thing I dont think.
Mine makes a faint chirping like noise as described.
Sounds like its coming from the drivers side, lower part of the engine.
If I very lightly press the clutch pedal, it goes away.
I mean just barely touch the clutch pedal it goes away.

·
Registered
459 Posts
My car does the exact same thing IXLRS. As soon as you put maybe a pound of force on the clutch the sounds goes away. It isn't even always there to begin with.

"the fork/pivot ball contact point is making the noise" I believe is correct. I didn't bother trying to fix it.

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
Put a dab of grease where the clutch fork touches the slave cylinder pushrod.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As soon as you put maybe a pound of force on the clutch the sounds goes away. It isn't even always there to begin with.

Exacty!!!!!!!!!!!
The noise isn't always there.
I'm almost positive the " dab of grease" as Eleven suggested is the cure-all.

The clutch performs fine.......no slippage, no unusual smell, no grinding....NOTHING.
Car shifts like a dream - Butter.

Looking at the diagram I can easily see how these two parts touching can duplicate the noise.
Think oF a turkey call...........you know one of those thingy's you call wild turkey in by duplicating their sounds.........A turkey call resembles somewhat, a small piece of chalk board.........the other piece is a striker that you scrape on the " chalkboard"
From the looks of the diagram I could take these two pieces and strike them together and imulate this, only with a higher pitch......which would explain " vibration" activating the faint chirping I hear.

NEXT OIL CHANGE this gets addressed.
That has to be what it is.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
what is happening is the pressure plate is cracking and when it does the diaphragm gets uneven and contacts the throw out bearing. that's why you hear the noise and it goes away with pedal pressure. another early sign is the clutch will chatter in reverse when you release it at idle. carl

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what is happening is the pressure plate is cracking and when it does the diaphragm gets uneven and contacts the throw out bearing. that's why you hear the noise and it goes away with pedal pressure. another early sign is the clutch will chatter in reverse when you release it at idle. carl
No symptoms of reverse chatter.
This seems to be something making contact with something else ( while at idle) and sometimes not.
With very slight pressure on the clutch pedal it goes away.
I'm under the assumption that the slight pressure on the clutch pedal slightly moves the two parts in the diagram away from each other, causing the noise to stop.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
when you press on the clutch you press the throw out bearing against the diaphragm. carl

·
Registered
63 Posts
If the dab of grease doesn't work I will PayPal you $5.

Trust me.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Trust me.
I know.
Im sure , after looking at the diagram that this is the problem.
I have 100% confidence.
See my turkey call commentary.
Thats EXACTLY what it sounds like. Only far lower in tone and a bit higher pitched.
The look at the diagram of the two pieces in the diagram that touch..............it's a match.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Trust me.
I know.
Im sure , after looking at the diagram that this is the problem.
I have 100% confidence.
See my turkey call commentary.
Thats EXACTLY what it sounds like. Only far lower in tone and a bit higher pitched.
The look at the diagram of the two culprits in the diagram that touch..............it's a match.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Try to grease the clutch slave pin. If that doesn't work it's either grease on your piviot ball, or more than likely your throwout bearing.

If either of the latter then it's a tranny drop (~6-8hrs if you are good). And at that time if you want, would be a good time for a clutch upgrade and maybe a lightweight flywheel if you want to get crazy.

Good luck with it!

·
Registered
261 Posts
I have the same noise in my Elise. I have heard it before in MANY Toyota cars. I have had several MR2s with the same issue. After removing the transmissions of several cars making the noise I can tell you it is not a failing pressure plate. Grease the pivot point and the slave pin.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I've never tried, but you might be able to get a grease gun in on the pivot ball after removing the dust boot. Well worth it not to have to pull a tranny.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
if the squeak is when you push in the clutch when the car is not running it's either grease on the release fork pivot or rod. if it's chirping when it's running it's either a throw out bearing or the pressure plate. when the pressure plate fails the straps that connect the plate to the diaphragm crack that makes the fingers that touch the throw out bearing uneven and what you are hearing is them touching the bearing. when you press you force the bearing into the plate then the bearing rotates and the noise goes away, I went through this on my car about 4 months ago if is the plate you want to get it before a piece brakes off and cracks the trans case. carl

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
if the squeak is when you push in the clutch when the car is not running it's either grease on the release fork pivot or rod. if it's chirping when it's running it's either a throw out bearing or the pressure plate. when the pressure plate fails the straps that connect the plate to the diaphragm crack that makes the fingers that touch the throw out bearing uneven and what you are hearing is them touching the bearing. when you press you force the bearing into the plate then the bearing rotates and the noise goes away, I went through this on my car about 4 months ago if is the plate you want to get it before a piece brakes off and cracks the trans case. carl
I'm not pushing the clutch in far enough to force the bearing into the pressure plate nor enough for the bearing to rotate.
I'm very slightly touching the clutch pedal putting maybe 1lb of force on it. if that.
Slightly touching the clutch pedal enough to where very little slack is taken up on the clutch cable And/or very little tension on the clutch cable. and the noise disappears.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
.Understand there is no return spring on the clutch fork that the throw bearing rides on.when you release the clutch the bearing is pushed back by the pressure plate and the bearing rides lightly against the diaphragm there is no clearance in hydraulic clutch mechanisioms. clutches that have mechanical linkages you adjust the free play, that is the distance from the throw out bearing to the pressure plate when the clutch is released.with a hydraulic clutch all you need to do is touch the pedal and it takes up the slack and makes the bearing spin. carl

1 - 20 of 36 Posts