The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Update S4 rear end

2K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  QuadCam 
#1 ·
Not sure where the best place to hunt for parts so I figured someone here could easily point in the right direction.

Best place to find the TT style tail lights and center section? Rough estimate to convert?

Thanks!

#5 ·
In my experience, any aftermarket fiberglass costs almost as much in body shop work as the piece itself, so plan for that.

And aftermarket often doesn't look as good as factory in 6 months -- you get the fiberglass texture showing through.

#7 ·
Se,

can be true. I ordered an S4 rear license plkate plinth for my SE from SJS. It looke dgood, but the gaps were larger than the stock piece. I primed, painted, cleared, and wet sanded it........ only to realize that the piece has some dips and waves in it. I now need to strip it and smooth it out with body filler, sand..... and paint it all over again.

I should have checked for waves first, but I was excited to get it on my car. Oh well......now, I'll get to it when I get around to it. I'm not so excited about it anymore.

#8 ·
I been waiting on parts to do this for over a month and a half hoping to get them soon then off to the body shop I ordered a factory part going to need to cut into the body to get this done with the factory parts so theres no turning back. I will keep you guys updated.

#9 ·
Is it really no point of return? Couldn't you find a way to remount the lights if you had to since none of the cuts would be showing when the old parts are put back on.

I haven't kept track of which conversion kit has been used, but I have seen some poor fitting conversions that definitely let down the rest of the car.

#11 · (Edited)
If I remember correctly Claudius was selling their fiberglass insert for around $1500. I don't remember if it included the round lights or the wiring harness. I remember they wanted the old harness so they could modify it for the round lights. I was thinking of doing that till I also added up what it would cost to do the "cheesegrater" and the center exhaust. With that # of $$ in mind the Toyota taillights don't look so bad! Of course you have to include the cost of the bodywork and paint. It won't make the car worth a penny more. There is the fact that you can try selling your old parts but they aren't worth much. There is an Esprit decal you will have to replace also across the back in the center. Go over to lotuspbc/bodymodv8.php
I am not endorsing Claudius, just trying to show you some options. My car was serviced by Claudius when it was owned by a PO and the work they did to replace the radiator was a butcher job. They carved the fiberglass underneath to save some time to R & R the radiator and it looked horrible. A lot of missing hardware too. They installed Spall fans and the welding for the brackets looked like a child did it.
David Teitelbaum

#12 ·
Bummer. I just moved out of state a little under a year ago and have no tools here or "Car" buddies. So debating buying tools and such or finding a good shape.. That may prove to be hard within a reasonable distance. Called a mom and pop place that works on older Ferrari's and such... Called about bringing in my own oil and filter.. Told me 160$ haha. Purchasing tools it is!

#13 ·
Definitely buy tools. This is an Esprit. You will be raped and pillaged by any mechanics. When you buy this car you have to be your own mechanic unless you don't mind having your bank account raped.

Plus you need to be under your car monthly looking for small problems waiting to become big problems. A mechanic is not going to do that for you.

#16 ·
IMHO a big part of the enjoyment of this car hobby is getting your hands dirty and doing at least some of your own work. It gives you a sense of accomplishment and an appreciation of the mechanicals so maybe the next time you go out and flog the car you will be a little gentler on it. You also KNOW it was done right. All too many times I have seen where you take your car in for an oil change and they just wipe off the old filter and charge you for a new one! Start out doing the small, easy stuff and as your confidence builds you can try tackling the larger stuff. As for sorting out all of the small nittling stuff, it is too expensive to pay someone to do it because of all the time it can take. Your time costs nothing! Work safe, buy good tools and if you need any advice you already know where to go. You should have a back-up shop you can go to for the things that are beyond your tools or your capabilities. Adjusting or replacing the timing belts is an example.
David Teitelbaum

#17 ·
I'm all for making my car perfect for me and "improving" things. However you may want to live with her for a little before making major changes, and develop a list of possibilities. There are always things to do and improvements to make. I have learned to focus on the mechanicals first and the cosmetics second. Otherwise I have a pretty girl, that I can't drive properly.

I had some ideas early on about changing things on my car that later were less appealing.

BTW adjusting the timing belt and even changing it on the 4 is doable by most handy persons with the right tools.

Randy

#18 ·
Great idea with getting a set of tools, between the lotusespritworld and the forums, you can do a good bit of the work.

For the larger jobs, that require a mechanic, take that as an opportunity for a raod trip to see some new areas...hopefully you can ask around and find someone semi local...

160 for an oil change is way too much...

#19 ·
$160 with supplying my own oil and filter... PASS

I have had my fair share of working on cars. I just HATE it and have always had friends to assist me. With smaller things on the Esprit I will just be doing them myself. I picked up a filter yesterday but NAPA didn't have any 15-50w Mobil One. I have multiple gallons of Rotella T6 from previous cars... I'm tempted but I don't think I can do it to the Lotus ha

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.