The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Ok, the 97 Esprit I purchased has the newer rear end look, 02-04 update, and I would like to complete it with the new look exhauste as well. Has anyone done this with the pre-02 cars and can they guide me on where to go to get the parts and the cost?

Based upon looks, you not only have to get the exhauste but then also the 'screen' look that goes on either side of the pipes coming out the center. I'm sure this is a single piece unit. Just don't know what it is called and if it is straight forward to do.

Second, recommendation, since I am considering in updating/replacing the Exhauste to look more like the 02-04 models, can anyone make the recommendation to go bigger and if so what size, replacing the cats with sports cats, etc. Price vs performance with the replacement along with a nice sound.

I had a 928 GTS I did this with, ended up with a 6" exhauste along with sports cats and it picked up 40HP at the RW, dyno tested, and sounded like a freakin Nascar when I reved the beast. It was quiet at idle, but when you put your foot into it everyone turned their head. It was awsome!

One quick story and then I am done, was at a stop light and this young lad in a turbo charged decked out Celica complete with what I car a fart can sounding pipe on the rear for an exhauste came up next to me and rolled down his window and reved his fart can car, with a grin from ear to ear. When I reved the 928 his jaw dropped, wiped his grin right off his face, rolled up his window and decided not to pursue an off the line test. ;-) To this day I laugh about that incident!

Darin

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Congrats Darin, as it appears you made your purchase and now are a proud Esprit owner. Post some pics!! Don't forget about the drive on the 14th.

·
98 Esprit V8 Calypso Red
310 Posts
Check your email for the center exhaust info.

Alan

·
Registered
3 Posts
Funny, I had a 928 S4/5 speed, and replaced the rear exhaust section with a set of straight-thru pipes, and they provided the same effect: quiet at idle, but OMG!, it sounded like a Cup car at WOT!

Regarding aftermarket center exit exhausts, are there any reasonbly priced units on the market. I saw a HyperFlow system for something like $2,200....are they kidding? For a couple of pipes?! Please.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts