The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have the Alcapulco head unit in my car. It works fine, and has a stereo Aux inout cable that I plugged a 3.5mm adapter cable into. But I would kind of like to have a real ipod connector in there, and maybe even usb or bluetooth. Is it better to get a whole new headunit with features built-in or go for a Blaupunkt adapter kit? Where might I find such a kit?

Believe it or not, I actually use the stereo. Was totally not expecting to, nor was I thinking it would sound good, but it does. With the roof off, the wind noise isn't that much, (compared to a regular convertible) so the stereo has become far more useful.

Anyway, ideas would be appreciated!

·
Registered
526 Posts
I have never been a fan of Blaupunkt, but here is my $.02.

I believe that Alpine has the best Ipod interface. The owner of my stereo shop was telling me that Alpine worked closely with Apple to develop their Ipod interface. However just like anything else, the better head unit you buy the more useable the interface will be.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I'm going with a new Pioneer that just came out...for like 260.00 you can get built in bluetooth, and ipod integration. And it looks pretty decent.

DEH-P6100BT..might up it to the 7100..but I wouldn't bet on it.
Pioneer USA - CD Receivers

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've got a pioneer in my Xterra, a DEH-P6000UB
and it's awesome. The Ipod control works perfectly, never given me a bit of trouble, and it has sat radio. Didn't go for the bluetooth, so I don't know how well that works. But it has plenty of expandability to grow if you want to add more amps or anything later. Great buy for the money, cheaper than Alpine.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I've got a pioneer in my Xterra, a DEH-P6000UB
and it's awesome. The Ipod control works perfectly, never given me a bit of trouble, and it has sat radio. Didn't go for the bluetooth, so I don't know how well that works. But it has plenty of expandability to grow if you want to add more amps or anything later. Great buy for the money, cheaper than Alpine.
Better User Interface than the Alpine units too....I've been greatly disappointed with Alpine's UI...

OP - goto a local car audio shop, or best buy, and play with the stereos...find one that makes sense to you.

Also, look into crutchfield for your purchase, their prices are generally in line with Best Buy's (best prices you can find at a retail store from my experiences). but @ Crutchfield you get all the necessary install stuff for free...and generally free shipping (no tax)...so you come out at least 30 bucks ahead, sometimes more.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I decided I really wanted to reuse the standard connectors in the dash, so I ordered a Blaupunkt Hamburg with the dial pad, bluetooth, USB and ipod connectors from Crutchfield. It should just be plug and play, and will give me some nice updated features and the ability to at least see who is calling. I like the idea of the Ipod charger and USB as well.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
post if it fit

I decided I really wanted to reuse the standard connectors in the dash, so I ordered a Blaupunkt Hamburg with the dial pad, bluetooth, USB and ipod connectors from Crutchfield. It should just be plug and play, and will give me some nice updated features and the ability to at least see who is calling. I like the idea of the Ipod charger and USB as well.
i was thinking about doing the same thing however when i called Crutch they were not sure if the connectors are the same.......if you could post some pics and if it fit that would be great!

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll take pictures of the install. I don't think Blaupunkt changes the connections too often, but then one never knows. The unit fits in the dash for sure, hopefully, it is plug and play.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts