The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw this thread on the SELOC (UK Lotus) thread and thought it was a great question.

Originally posted by Alex P
What upgrade did you do to your car that in hindsight wished you'd never bothered as it was a waste of money or simply pointless?

For example: My last Elise I installed HID bulbs, but never really drove the car a night more than half a dozen times!:blink
You see where i'm coming from, come on give me your honest answers:lol
So, any regrets? Bad Lotus $$ spent?

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
I regretted removing my sun visor stud... it wasn't budging, and against my better judgment I tried a little harder than I should have. Craaacccckkk went the windshield. :(

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I regretted removing my sun visor stud... it wasn't budging, and against my better judgment I tried a little harder than I should have. Craaacccckkk went the windshield. :(
Man. This makes me feel better about just putting a some black heat shrink tubing over mine. The casual observer will never notice them from outside the car.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Header and high flow CAT.

The PPE header and CAT did not fit the Stage II (contrary to what some said ln here); thus, requiring me to change the exhaust. Once I got the system up, I immediately got a CEL, needing to buy a O2 Sniffer. Then i developed stalling issues due to all this. Now I am getting a tune even though I had a Sport ECU. I can hear the toilet flushing in the background.

·
Registered
131 Posts
@malakaone How much louder was the exhaust note with the header/high-flow?

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Funny, I'm glad I finally got rid of the visor pins. Those MoFos are heavy! :)

I had to hit 'em with Kroil, apply heat and then I used a rubber jawed ratcheting clamp to hold the bracket against he windshield frame (and keep as much pressure off of the windshield as possible). Pin was still a bee-otch to "crack" free. Once it did tho, it was soooooo gratifyingly satisfying. :clap: The whole process... Frustration, despair, persistence, work, ingenuity, persistence, lubrication, heat, focus, elation... was kinda like finally closing the deal with a woman that plays hard to get. ;)

Similarly, I purchased a used FF Header and... I FRIGGIN' LOVE IT! My only complaint there is that it didn't come wih a cat bypass (bought the unit used after it was out of production) and I spent a lot of time and money trying to find / fab one. Years actually. That was frustrating.

Ok, not to be a total thread contrarian, I'd say the only mod (and there's quite a few) that I've regretted is solid engine mounts. The biggest regret on those was the beating I'd take driving home (80 miles) after a full track day. The bare shell Reverie seats don't bother me at all, but those drives home last season were rough. All the other extreme mods (LOUD exhaust, bare seats, radio delete, gutting interior, etc.) I like, if not love, but.... And this is hard to admit... The solid engine mounts were too hardcore for me.

Once I start towing my car exclusively, I'll consider slightly stiffer mounts, but not the solid ones.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
@malakaone How much louder was the exhaust note with the header/high-flow?
It is much louder and there is some drone at crusing speeds, you can ask anyone on the drive with me this last weekend. The car though does pop on shifts almost always and shoot flames at times which is pretty neat. Of course this means I am running a bit rich.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Malakaone,
I would be surprised if you are running rich after opening up your exhaust, the typical outcome is to run leaner when you open up your exhaust. A tune should allow you to fix your stalling problems. Some tunes can disable that pesky check engine light from reduced catalytic converter efficiency. I took a different approach and put a CEL eliminator on my cat-less build, works great.

·
Vendor
6,306 Posts
Motor mounts that are too stiff.
Yep. I've seen that several times now. Those super stiff motor mounts on a 4 banger are a bad idea.

·
Registered
7,323 Posts
Removable steering wheel. Neat trick, but I never use it. Even on a track oriented car. Seats do not have high bolsters, and cage does not have the high tubes on the sides.

·
shay2nak
25,083 Posts
I regret installing the 3.1 pulley

...which then needed a retune & dyno time
...which then needed 550ccs
...which then needed another retune & dyno time
...which then needed a new clutch & flywheel

see? one simple $100 part has ended up costing me over $2800

now if the clutch fixes the car's power issue, then I may change my mind. Still pretty dumb of me to change it.

·
Absolute power does what?
3,201 Posts
3 point belt delete - I feel like a total tool driving on the street in my 6-points, the stocks are going back in next time I take the seats out (or in the next few weeks depending).

Other things, 3M DiNoc vinyl wrapping my entire interior (then it all bubbling the first time the sun hit it), Sector Showercap (just never use it). Other than that my car is track focused and is exactly what I want it to be. Love it.

My favorite little/random mods - footwell LED lighting (open the door and they pop on, huge improvement in low light), 9500xi hardwire, garage door openers integrated into the center console (need to reinstall that), custom glovebox panel (covers the tray and adds a pop open door, love it).

·
Registered
198 Posts
CF shift knob. It looks nice, but I decided I really don't want any more CF than I already have. It seemed to be the cherry on top that made it all look corny.

Larini de-cat. I knew it would give me a CEL, but it makes it harder to buy an off the shelf tune for the ECU (which I still haven't gotten around to). I have to say though, I do love the sound of it with the Larini sport exhaust.

Multivex mirrors. I never even installed them. I guess I just got used to the stock mirrors and couldn't be bothered.

Sector 111 trunk liner thingy. It is very well crafted and everything, but I decided to remove stuff from the trunk, so I got rid of it.

This being said, I love most of the stuff I added/deleted.
k

1 - 20 of 37 Posts