The Lotus Cars Community banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Less is Better
2,480 Posts
-- Yes, brakes feel fine starting the day. Pedal is firm enough. After a few sessions or sometimes int the first session towards the end of the session, the pedal has a lot more travel and the car seems to be not stopping as fast. At this point I am pushing the pedal very hard to stop the car and it seems like the "ice mode" is kicking in. As in once I push the pedal hard enough, the car actually is decelerating slower. This happens especially going up the hill at Laguna Seca righ
Your pads are track pads (although I don't have any familiarity with the brand) and you've got good fluid but you're still experiencing brake fade. I'm assuming your disks are still acceptably thick. You certainly appear to be a good candidate for a rotor size upgrade. You could also think about just a disc upgrade, like a floating hub with directional vanes. You might also benefit from doing some work on brake cooling ducting.

While I doubt it will solve your issue, have you thought about stainless lines? The rubber lines will get more soft with hotter fluid and the brakes tend to feel a little squishy.

I'm curious why you chose to put a higher friction pad in the rear? Do you experience any rear bias when braking hard? I wonder if this is inducing the "ice mode" feeling that you're referring to. Ice mode pretty much feels like the pedal has gone completely hard.

·
Premium Member
11,573 Posts
I would not start by buying more stuff. Best if we first figure out what is wrong.

·
Premium Member
11,573 Posts
Also, Jason, try this:

Turn engine on

Push brake pedal while noting when it stops moving.

If it's low, try pumping the pedal 4 or 5 times.

Note if pedal comes back up to normal position, where it began.

If that happens, see how pedal feels and report back.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I have a 2005 with a REV310 (275hp at the wheels). Just over 1,900 lbs. and run ultradiscs with Pagid RS 14s. Big brakes are heavier. I wouldn't want them plus 240s are not outstopping me. Keep the Elise, upgrade the brakes, and the supercharger.

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,063 Posts
I have a 2005 with a REV310 (275hp at the wheels). Just over 1,900 lbs. and run ultradiscs with Pagid RS 14s. Big brakes are heavier. I wouldn't want them plus 240s are not outstopping me. Keep the Elise, upgrade the brakes, and the supercharger.
You've obviously never picked up the stock rear caliper. It feels like's it's made of lead. Between the lighter two-piece rotors and calipers, my 4-wheel AP Racing BBK was easily the same or less weight than the stock setup. The difference for me was night and day.

San

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
I went through the same debate [aftermarket supercharger for the Elise versus Exige] and am just about to take delivery of a v.good condition 20,000 mile 2008 canyon red Exige 240S (purchased for ~$50k). First thing I did when test driving the Exige was to lock the brakes - yes they are better than the Elise 😀. First thing I ordered (even before taking delivery of the Exige) was a rear view monitor and camera.
I'm assuming my v.good condition 20,000 mile laser blue 2005 Elise is worth ~$34k (it will be advertised soon and the market will decide) therefore from a financial perspective I felt that it wasn't really worth upgrading the Elise, but actually the real reasons for purchasing the Exige was I wanted a little, not a lot, more mid-range power, a brake pedal that I could heal and toe, ability to easily fit a 5 point harness without altering the back of the driver seat and (call me shallow) I prefer the styling including the "mohawk" scoop, red on black instrument cluster, and slightly more aggressive clams.

·
Addict
1,299 Posts
"ability to easily fit a 5 point harness without altering the back of the driver seat"
I'm not sure that is completely true, unless the seats have a hole for the 5th point that I am not aware of as it not exactly safe to run the belt over the front of the seat.

·
Registered
930 Posts
How OLD is your brake fluid??

-- Brand new Castrol SRF last time I went to the track.

Who bedded in the pads and when?
-- I had the pads installed by a local shop in the Bay Area, I assume they bedded them in but I can check.

Are there moments when your brakes feel better or worse?

-- Yes, brakes feel fine starting the day. Pedal is firm enough. After a few sessions or sometimes int the first session towards the end of the session, the pedal has a lot more travel and the car seems to be not stopping as fast. At this point I am pushing the pedal very hard to stop the car and it seems like the "ice mode" is kicking in. As in once I push the pedal hard enough, the car actually is decelerating slower. This happens especially going up the hill at Laguna Seca righ
To me this sounds like either old fluid, air in the lines/calipers, or failing flexible lines. It is definitely not the behaviour of a properly functioning stock system.

Are your flex lines original rubber or aftermarket steel braided? While SRF is an excellent fluid, it is really expensive. There are alternatives that work great with the stock system if bled frequently. I have mentioned before that I run track days with Castrol DOT 4 (old GTLMA). There is no change in brake feel throughout any session or through the day in my Elise. I also run an EG Civic endurance race car on smaller brakes (front brakes have ducting), slightly more weight, and more hp. That car uses Motul RBF 600 brake fluid. We run 16+ hours a weekend on the same fluid without any change in consistency.

You need to find what is wrong with your system before spending money on upgrades that may not be needed.

·
Premium Member
11,573 Posts
Our NJ BMW CCA chapter has a smart tech adviser. He tested old brake fluids. The one that held up the best was our (you and me) choice, Castrol DOT 4/LMA.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
I'm not sure that is completely true, unless the seats have a hole for the 5th point that I am not aware of as it not exactly safe to run the belt over the front of the seat.
“....back of the seat...” - squab still has to have a hole cut

·
He's on fire!
3,160 Posts
No, the 5th or 6th point(s) would be for the crotch belt. The other four points would be shoulders and sides.

San
The shoulder harnesses are supposed to pass through a hole, not be in free air. Most elise seats do not have these holes, so some people cut the seats.

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,063 Posts
The shoulder harnesses are supposed to pass through a hole, not be in free air. Most elise seats do not have these holes, so some people cut the seats.
I fully realize that, but those are parts of the "4 points", not the 5th or 6th points.

I don't think cutting holes in seats that weren't designed for belts is a good or safe idea.

San

·
Premium Member
11,573 Posts
Also, Jason, try this:

Turn engine on

Push brake pedal while noting when it stops moving.

If it's low, try pumping the pedal 4 or 5 times.

Note if pedal comes back up to normal position, where it began.

If that happens, see how pedal feels and report back.
@JasonB, did you try this? Are brakes now better? Supercharger decision??

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
I sold my 2009 Elise Purist last year for $49,500. It was mostly stock but as new condition as you could ask for... It was showroom fresh.

Couple months later I purchased a 2008 S240. I do not regret the purchase one bit! This Exige was no where as clean as my Elise was, but slowly getting there... just needed some good detailing in the wheel wells, interior, ETC, but I am very happy with how it looks now. Mechanically, it's as tight as the Elise was, just needed a good bath in and out!

If you like the looks of the Exige more, trading up is a good idea... no one really wants a Frankenstein car, not to mention 100% CA Smog legal.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts