The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Otherwise this might happen to you too: (see below)

Hopefully not at 120MPH like it did to me. Also interesting note, apparently Lotus skimped on the requirement for isolated front/rear brakes as well, because when it went, I had no brakes at all (or maybe there is just something wrong with my car, but I doubt it).
FYI, my car only has ~14k miles on it, although most of them are track miles. I have never seen a brake hose fail like this on any car, it blew right out of the crimp at the caliper. Also FYI, other than brake fluid all over the car and some grass in the undertrays, me and the car are both fine. Still, I feel like I was pretty lucky that I was in a place where no brakes just meant a little off track detour and a messy car.

Just want everyone to know, its a good idea to get rid of the stock lines, especially if you track the car. Also would be interested to know if anyone else has seen this problem?

Pat

Attachments

·
Registered
115 Posts
WOW !! Glad you and the car are OK - I will put that on the top of the upgrades list...

·
Registered
148 Posts
Whoa, that sounds terrifying. Were you able to scrub any speed or did it pop right when you pressed the pedal?

·
Premium Member
2,900 Posts
Haven't had that happen, but I did completely lose my brakes at 120mph going into turn 1 at NewHampshire Motor Speedway.
It was the last track day of the 2013 season. Scary to say the least.

Pumped them up and still had minimal effect.
Thankfully the closest car was 200 yards behind me (just passed and I was hard on the brakes, as they let go). That was the last session of the day for me.
I'm going to start changing brake fluid before every track day instead of twice a year. Also have Sector 111 stainless lines on my list within the next month.
Glad you were ok.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Whoa, that sounds terrifying. Were you able to scrub any speed or did it pop right when you pressed the pedal?
It definitely wasn't a nice surprise, thats for sure. I slowed maybe 5mph before it went, then when it did the right side kept pressure for a split second and put me a little sideways, I was just able to correct enough to put it in the grass instead of the wall, but luckily once I went in the grass I was able to straighten out and put it back on the track. Honestly I was back on the the track before I really figured out what went wrong and that I had zero pedal pressure.

·
Premium Member
5,195 Posts
By all means there are there priority upgrades on our Eliges. Brake lines, toe links, and oil lines. Glad you made it through ok!

·
Addict
2007 Lotus Exige S
1,423 Posts
Check the lines on your daily as regular maintenance too. The brakes lines on my Volvo failed when someone in my neighborhood decided to run a stop sign and I had to slam on the brakes. I was able to avoid hitting them and made it home the remaining few blocks safely. Mine failed at a crimp location too; I’ve installed braided lines to fix.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Scary stuff, I had some SS lines fail on me, the actual line blew out and you could see where it burst through since the SS braid was broken. Goodridge replaced them, but I didn't even trust them anymore. Went to Stoptech and was very happy.

·
Addict
2007 Lotus Exige S
1,423 Posts
These cars are getting to be almost 10 years old. Stuff fails.
It's good to be checking critical safety items though, that's for sure!

BTW the braided teflon brake lines also have a service life, and will need to be replaced.
Yes the braided lines have a service life and I’ll replace them if I keep my Volvo that long. In my case the braded lines also eliminated one of the three crimped connections, the stock hose had one at each end and one in the middle.

·
Premium Member
11,995 Posts
Otherwise this might happen to you too: (see below)

Hopefully not at 120MPH like it did to me. Also interesting note, apparently Lotus skimped on the requirement for isolated front/rear brakes as well, because when it went, I had no brakes at all (or maybe there is just something wrong with my car, but I doubt it).
FYI, my car only has ~14k miles on it, although most of them are track miles. I have never seen a brake hose fail like this on any car, it blew right out of the crimp at the caliper. Also FYI, other than brake fluid all over the car and some grass in the undertrays, me and the car are both fine. Still, I feel like I was pretty lucky that I was in a place where no brakes just meant a little off track detour and a messy car.

Just want everyone to know, its a good idea to get rid of the stock lines, especially if you track the car. Also would be interested to know if anyone else has seen this problem?

Pat
Thanks much for reminding me to do this. Ordered today.

·
shay2nak
25,083 Posts
never seen this happen to any Elise/Exige. wow.

·
Registered
239 Posts
wow, thats scary! My oil line just failed so as soon as I get my car back I'm going to upgrade the brake lines! Thanks

·
Registered
831 Posts
I've never seen a stock or aftermarket brake line fail, under any circumstances on the street or the track.

San

I'm with that as well. PW you may just have a beat up car. I remember you from a Grattan event right after you got it and your clutch blew up. Green car, right?

·
Addict
2007 Lotus Exige S
1,423 Posts
I've never seen a stock or aftermarket brake line fail, under any circumstances on the street or the track.

San
I understand this might not be common, and mine was the first time I had ever seen it too. Brake lines have a maintenance interval just like the majority of items on a car. I’d just suggest inspecting brake lines should be added to your normal maintenance routine.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Brake lines have a maintenance interval just like the majority of items on a car.
yup, but @ 14k miles OP's failure was most definitely premature

·
Vendor
6,306 Posts
I guess a shameless plug, but we've had very nice brake lines for quite some time that we just recently listed on the website.

They're DOT and have a rubberized coating to help prevent abrassion...

Brake Products

-Phil

1 - 20 of 29 Posts