The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Formerly EliseIn2005
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Well, after I saw JayEmm's post here: https://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/topic/84893-the-lotus-evora-400-audio-upgrade/ I decided to follow suit. I went to Paradyme Sound and Vision in Sacramento (1744 Fulton Ave) and spoke to Tim Tran (manager). Their store caries the Hertz brand, and I wanted to follow JayEmm's recipe (with a goal of good sound, but keep the look stock, and I wanted to spend less than $2k):
Hertz Mille Pro 130.3 Mid-range and tweeter combo with crossovers
Hertz High Energy ES 200.5 Subwoofer
JL Audio 400/4 Amplifier
Audison Cables
Dynamat for the doors

We came close with the following:
Audison APK165 (300w) front separates (doors and tweeters)
Hertz ES200.5 sub
JL Audio XD400/4v2
M.E.S.A. damping mat kit
4CH ProLine output converter
M.E.S.A. cables

I left the car for a week because they had to order a couple parts (and I struggle to get time off from work, so it was better to drop off and pick up on a Saturday). Tim and his installer Eugene did a great job with the installation, and I'm very pleased with the sound. The highs/mids are a definite improvement, and the bass is cleaner/deeper. I kept the stock Alpine INE-W960 head unit. They helped me tune the sound. They suggested if I wanted to go the extra mile with sound, I could have spend more on a DSP amp and a custom fiberglass enclosure for the sub, but I was trying to keep costs down, and they helped me achieve my goals of better sound without spending more than $2k. Winning!

Here are some photos of the installation:

Attachments

Reactions: furinax

·
Formerly EliseIn2005
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No Idea why the pictures are sideways, but here are the rest

In the first pictures, you see the door mid and the mat that they placed. You'll see another comparing the new to the old sub, and well as the back of the stock Alpine head unit. Because it only has one pre-out, they had to use a converter to make it work to drive the front speakers off the amp in the back (that also drives the sub). The original wiring had the fronts powered by the head unit (high out), and it's rated for 18wattsx4. Weak.

The next pics will show the tweeter (they decided to pull the trim to install them), and then the sub (you'll see the new amp tucked in nicely). Lots of mat to keep the vibration low, and I think they tightened a bracket back there that was vibrating also.

Yes, I've got the rear seat delete.

Attachments

·
Formerly EliseIn2005
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The finished product

I haven't taken any pictures of the final product, because it all simply looks stock using the same grills (except for the tweeter's grill is a different texture and says Audison).

Reactions: ShadowWulf369

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Nicely done! Haven't been by Paradyme in a few years, but I've always had good interactions with them.

That's a nice 400 btw; haven't seen it around town. I'll def give a honk/wave if I do though.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Looks like a nice neat install. I recently purchased the same JL amp and need to buy a replacement sub shortly.

Do you happen to know how they secured the amp to the rear wall? Just drilled holes?

·
Formerly EliseIn2005
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not sure. You could call Paradyme at 916-971-9300 and ask for Tim or Eugene. They would likely tell you while it's still fresh in their minds.

Reactions: DBG

·
Formerly EliseIn2005
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nicely done! Haven't been by Paradyme in a few years, but I've always had good interactions with them.

That's a nice 400 btw; haven't seen it around town. I'll def give a honk/wave if I do though.

Are you in Vacaville? Cowtown would then make sense.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I'm not sure. You could call Paradyme at 916-971-9300 and ask for Tim or Eugene. They would likely tell you while it's still fresh in their minds.

Thanks mate, all good. I'll figure it out when I get to it soon. Wouldn't want to hassle from overseas.

·
Premium Member
2,182 Posts
Looks good. JayEmm used the Hertz speakers for the door, and they measure the same 5.25 inches as the stock paper plates. You chose the APK 165's, which appear to be 6.5"? How they make them fit behind the stock door grilles?

·
Registered
592 Posts
Looks good. JayEmm used the Hertz speakers for the door, and they measure the same 5.25 inches as the stock paper plates. You chose the APK 165's, which appear to be 6.5"? How they make them fit behind the stock door grilles?
I haven’t pulled the trigger yet because my quote was significantly higher than $2000, but the installer I talked with about it said they had done 6” speakers in the previous 400 they did. He said they cut a larger hole in the panel behind the grille, but when you put the grille back on it’s larger than the speakers so there wasn’t any problem.

·
Formerly EliseIn2005
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They cut custom wood rings for the speaker installation

You're right, they are 6.5". I didn't get it before, but that explains why they mentioned they cut custom wood rings for the installation.

·
Galactic Hitchhiker
384 Posts
Looks like a nice neat install. I recently purchased the same JL amp and need to buy a replacement sub shortly.

Do you happen to know how they secured the amp to the rear wall? Just drilled holes?
When I did mine, (JL500/3 in my 2014), I used three strips of 3M "outdoor" dual lock to secure it to the back firewall. Alcohol & de-greaser on both surfaces beforehand. I've done 8 or 10 track days per year since then, and not so much as a wiggle.

Edit: used this stuff, and got it here. Bought 2 yards of 1-inch width, and have a little bit left over.
https://www.itapestore.com/3m-dual-lock-sj3870-by-the-yard.html

Reactions: DBG

·
Premium Member
2,182 Posts
Thanks. So you are not using the standard door grilles? I'm only asking because in my 400, the grille are part of the door panel trim, and I don't think a 6.5 inch speaker would fit inside it.

·
Registered
592 Posts
i​
Thanks. So you are not using the standard door grilles? I'm only asking because in my 400, the grille are part of the door panel trim, and I don't think a 6.5 inch speaker would fit inside it.
I probably shouldn’t post these, as this isn’t my car. Oh well. The installer sent me these to show me how they did the previous 400. Note the repositioning of the tweeter for better orientation into the cabin instead of up into the windshield. These are 6.5” speakers in the door.

Attachments

·
Lotus Evora Specialty
239 Posts
I went to Paradyme Sound and Vision in Sacramento (1744 Fulton Ave)...
Excellant shop! I've known one of of the founders since the early/mid 80's. They designed and installed a world-class system in my M5 and put in an killer system in my Exige. I brought my Evora in a couple years ago, and they tweaked the built-in DSP settings–sounds wonderful now!

This is one of those shops that has incredible depth, way more than the store would indicate.

·
Formerly EliseIn2005
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My intent was a stock look. Somehow, the 6.5” speakers fit behind the stock door grills just fine. I guess there is more room back there than I think.

·
Registered
49 Posts
My intent was a stock look. Somehow, the 6.5” speakers fit behind the stock door grills just fine. I guess there is more room back there than I think.
Has anyone found an upgraded head that just drops into the opening ? The bezel is so tight I worry that other units will not work, or the bezel will need to be shaved. I want to get apple carplay, and Alpine makes some other units that have that.

·
Formerly EliseIn2005
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Excellant shop! I've known one of of the founders since the early/mid 80's. They designed and installed a world-class system in my M5 and put in an killer system in my Exige. I brought my Evora in a couple years ago, and they tweaked the built-in DSP settings–sounds wonderful now!

This is one of those shops that has incredible depth, way more than the store would indicate.
Hi Sherman! Yes, I've always respected this shop. I didn't tell the manager (ran out of time), but when I was a kid growing up in Folsom, I would often visit the Tower Records on Sunrise Blvd, and Paradyme was next door. I would lust over the quality of sound systems they had on display, but always figured that their stuff would forever remain out of my price range (parents made modest income, and I certainly had no money). Fast forward almost 30 years, and here I am in one of their stores because they carry the Hertz line that I knew fit in the car! Funny, that after all the moving/relocation across the U.S. required with the military, that I made it all the way back to Northern CA to use their shop and expertise.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts