The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Has anyone found an upgraded head that just drops into the opening ? The bezel is so tight I worry that other units will not work, or the bezel will need to be shaved. I want to get apple carplay, and Alpine makes some other units that have that.
I'm fairly certain both the S1 and S2 Evoras have a standard double DIN opening. I've had Alpine, Kenwood, and Pioneer aftermarket units in mine and they all fit the opening without any bezel work needed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Guys,
Is there a unit that will replace my stock radio unit in my 2017 Evora 400?
That;s to say one which will have sirrus/xm radio as well as Nav. etc?

·
Registered
49 Posts
While the evora400 physical housing is a standard double DIN, the bezel is tight. I ended up checking directly with Lotus. There is a newer bezel with a slightly larger opening that should fit. Its LHD part # (if anyone is interested) is A132V4309F-011. Original opening is 170mm x 96mm, and larger opening is 171.5mm x 96.5mm. Amazingly, it matters.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Crutchfield has their Black Friday sale right now. It would be perfect timing to get these if I wanted to upgrade my system. So far my biggest complaint is lacking music in all forms on my drive.

To be honest though, with the cost, I feel like it would be way more cost effective to just get a nice portable bluetooth speaker and slap it somewhere in the car. You can charge it when it gets low. That'll save you probably $800 or so on labor + parts costs right?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Crutchfield has their Black Friday sale right now. It would be perfect timing to get these if I wanted to upgrade my system. So far my biggest complaint is lacking music in all forms on my drive.

To be honest though, with the cost, I feel like it would be way more cost effective to just get a nice portable bluetooth speaker and slap it somewhere in the car. You can charge it when it gets low. That'll save you probably $800 or so on labor + parts costs right?
Or you could just drive around with headphones on...

The stock headunit is more than OK. The sub/speakers and the sub amplifier are poor. If you swap the amp for a 4 channel amp and put in decent speakers you can make the whole thing sound pretty good. If you can't do it yourself the labor costs are substantial because you have to take most of the interior apart to do this. But if you download the service notes and go slowly its not hard.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I just visited a highly reviewed stereo shop in my area. We talked about budget and expectations and they said best place to start is to just upgrade the amp. The only sell Mosconi amps so for the size of our cars it would be a $1100 amp with another $1100 ish with labor. They laughed when I mentioned people were upgrading speakers, sub, and amp for around $1500. While I see the Mosconi amps are well reviewed, what would be the other viable options for our car? It would be nice to get a second opinion on an amp and just have someone familiar with Lotus wiring to hook it up.

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
...what would be the other viable options for our car? It would be nice to get a second opinion on an amp and just have someone familiar with Lotus wiring to hook it up.
Very few amps will fit in the space where the stock Alpine is, so there is that to take into consideration. I think one of the more popular ones is the JL Audio XD500/3, which is significantly less than Mosconi amps, still a Class D, and puts out enough power for front separates and a single sub.

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
5,643 Posts
I went with a Kenwood head unit (for wireless Apple Carplay) and replaced the door speakers with 5.25" Focals from Crutchfield. The audio shop also correctly wired the factory subwoofer and now the entire sound system sounds great. All for $900.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Very few amps will fit in the space where the stock Alpine is, so there is that to take into consideration. I think one of the more popular ones is the JL Audio XD500/3, which is significantly less than Mosconi amps, still a Class D, and puts out enough power for front separates and a single sub.
You can fit a JL 400/4 amp where the stock sub amp is but you will have to make your own mount. I bolted in some flat bars using the mounting screws for the stock amp and then used velcro straps to hold the new amplifier to those.

·
Illegal Alien
5,157 Posts
I just visited a highly reviewed stereo shop in my area. We talked about budget and expectations and they said best place to start is to just upgrade the amp. The only sell Mosconi amps so for the size of our cars it would be a $1100 amp with another $1100 ish with labor. They laughed when I mentioned people were upgrading speakers, sub, and amp for around $1500. While I see the Mosconi amps are well reviewed, what would be the other viable options for our car? It would be nice to get a second opinion on an amp and just have someone familiar with Lotus wiring to hook it up.
Thats funny that they laughed seeing Mosconi's start at about $400 and go to $under $4000. You have a number of good amps below $1000.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I don't really know why they were pushing such a high priced amp on me. I think they are just used to working with a specific line of products. They mentioned they don't work with customer supplied parts. They weren't really trying to money grab either- he suggested playing with the equalizer first and seeing if I couldn't achieve the quality/volume I wanted with that first. To be honest I think an amp and a sub replacement would be a fine upgrade but finding a shop to do it is the hard part.

·
Loves to talk
1,108 Posts
Loudspeakers always make the biggest difference as competent amplifiers sound quite similar up to their rated outputs. The reason to swap with out head units/amplifiers (generally) is that they are not powerful enough or don't have the features you want...Airplay, etc. To change the sound, transducers are usually the first place to start.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I don’t know if speakers always make the biggest difference. Often time how they are installed can have a greater impact then buying better more expensive speakers.

sound deadening in doors often times does wonders for sound... but while your in there.... better speakers are a no brainer!

sometimes sales people see the car and assume one might have a unlimited budget. Mosconi does make great stuff.... never personally owned their amps however have listed to a few and they are great. Should be able to find something more in your budget. If they sell Alpine, Kenwood, etc.... those companies all make small less then $1,100 amps that they can get you.

if your deck is good... has 2-3 sets of pre outs..... getting a descent set of component speakers, sound deadening, good external amp and things will improve drastically. If budget allows get a small sub and amp as well.

ideally, get a 4 or 5 channel amp and run the door/dash speakers active. Many amp have internal DSP/crossovers

·
Loves to talk
1,108 Posts
I don’t know if speakers always make the biggest difference.
I do know. Apart from the actual acoustic space it works into, transducers are the equipment variable that make the most profound difference assuming everything else is equal.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I do know. Apart from the actual acoustic space it works into, transducers are the equipment variable that make the most profound difference assuming everything else is equal.
i know as well

my point was the setup of acoustical space is more important then the quality of the transducer

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
i know as well

my point was the setup of acoustical space is more important then the quality of the transducer
In addition the physical placement, direction to the listener/s, acoustic reflectors and the speaker enclosure are also as important the transducer itself. A car interior is a challenging place to stuff a concert hall.

·
Illegal Alien
5,157 Posts
In addition the physical placement, direction to the listener/s, acoustic reflectors and the speaker enclosure are also as important the transducer itself. A car interior is a challenging place to stuff a concert hall.
Especially one made of plastic and aluminum with the largest sound transducers being the engine, transmission and tires.

Reactions: StressCraxx
21 - 37 of 37 Posts