The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The car has only 5k miles on it but is 11 years old. Visually the mounts and rubber look fine. I know the benefit of upgrading fore/aft mounts. But is there benefit to upgrading the side mounts if the OEMs appear to be in good shape?

PS my rear clam is off at the moment

·
Registered
506 Posts
The car has only 5k miles on it but is 11 years old. Visually the mounts and rubber look fine. I know the benefit of upgrading fore/aft mounts. But is there benefit to upgrading the side mounts if the OEMs appear to be in good shape?

PS my rear clam is off at the moment
I think BOE recommends the Red urethane mounts for the front and the Black urethane mounts for the rear...and to not even bother with the sides. And these are sufficient for heavy dute race purposes.

I did just my rear with the Red and felt a significant improvement in shifting. A little more vibration/noise.

·
Nein Kinder
1,568 Posts
@Smoky - Fore and aft mounts are often upgraded to firmer polyurethane to reduce engine rocking under hard acceleration. Changing the left and right mounts to something other than the compliant OEM rubber will result in very high levels of vibration. Unless you’re building a race car and don’t care about severe vibration and all its deleterious effects on the chassis, then you’ll want to retain the OEM rubber left/right mounts. I’d only replace them if they’re cracked or obviously hard.

Glen

1 - 4 of 4 Posts