The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Puff Daddy
3,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the Lexus is going to need brakes soon and I'm debating whether or not I should upgrade the braking system.

My girlfriend will probably be driving the car more in the near future so it may be nice to have an extra margin of safety but I'm not sure if that tiny bit of performance increase on the street would be worth it.

This is what I'm thinking performance wise:

- New Brembo rotors front and back (blank only, no slotted or drilled crap)
- Hawk HPS street pads
- Goodrich stainless brake lines

Total cost is ~$400.00

Versus this setup:

- New Brembo rotors front and back
- OEM pads

Total cost is ~$250.00

Both setups would get new high quality fluid of course. Think it's worth the extra $150.00 to upgrade the brakes on a car that isn't even driven hard?

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
You will not stop faster with better brakes. You will with better tires.

·
Puff Daddy
3,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thread jack: Upgrading the tires on a daily driver... is it worth it? :D

The car has 110,000 miles on it now with the original brakes (still have 3 mm up front, and 4 mm in the back!) so I figured since it's due for an overhaul I may as well upgrade :shrug:

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
In spite of what most people want to think, upgraded brakes do not stop a car any faster, unless the car had something insufficient with the present brakes. Tires are the limiting factor, not the brakes.

This ignores heat shedding which is not an issue for the street car. It also ignores possible changes in bias.

You can change the brake modulation and mostly in the wrong direction for a street car.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
And yes, with people I care about, they ride on good tires. I do recommend upgrading those.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts