The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Ive been dong some research on upgrading to 4 piston calipers.

I believe there are 2 calipers from AP that are a direct bolt on to the original hub without adapter brackets.

Does anyone know for sure?

Elise Parts - Braking Systems - Brake Calipers - AP 4 Pot Brake Calipers
Elise Parts - Braking Systems - Brake Calipers - AP Racing 4 Pot Calipers
The first one will not work on the stock upright.

The second link may fit...

These may fit too:
Elise Parts - Braking Systems - Brake Calipers - EP Tuning 4 Pot Calipers

I would send an email off to Geary ([email protected]) for specifics.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you looked at optimizing the OEM calipers with good pads, rotors and cooling? The stock calipers are very good.
Good Point!

Ive always told people to learn to max out the original brakes before upgrading. Ive used DBA rotors with IDI pads with excellent results without fading even on 10 lap races in the summer heat.

But I went to a new local track last year, and the brakes started fading after 6-7 laps. The new track is very low speed corner intensive, so it really boils the brakes and without straights in between to get the temps down.

Im not looking for an upgrade in terms of brake force, in fact I think the original balance is perfect, Im afraid bigger brakes will mess it up.

What do you mean by cooling though? All Ive done for cooling is zip tie a hose from the bottom of the front lip guiding air to the back of the rotor/caliper.

·
Plug Whisperer
6,305 Posts
As an exampe, check out the shields and pistons here since you've already done some ducting. The pistons make a huge difference:

BOE Fabrication - Lotus Elise, Exige, and Evora Performance ECM Tuning Products

Also, better fluids like SRF help a ton.

The DBA rotors are not great. They're pillar vane and not as good at heat disipation. The 5000s are two piece, but fixed mount.

So pistons, fluid, and better rotors will all help a lot... all assuming your pads are up to the task. After that, if you're still having problems, may consider higher corner entry speeds (ie the loose nut behind the wheel) as a place to improve the braking performance ;)

Lotta fast drivers on stock sized brakes. They're lighter and much cheaper to maintain than the BBKs...

-PV

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As an exampe, check out the shields and pistons here since you've already done some ducting. The pistons make a huge difference:

BOE Fabrication - Lotus Elise, Exige, and Evora Performance ECM Tuning Products

The DBA rotors are not great. They're pillar vane and not as good at heat disipation. The 5000s are two piece, but fixed mount.

So pistons, fluid, and better rotors will all help a lot... all assuming your pads are up to the task. After that, if you're still having problems, may consider higher corner entry speeds (ie the loose nut behind the wheel) as a place to improve the braking performance ;)

Lotta fast drivers on stock sized brakes. They're lighter and much cheaper to maintain than the BBKs...

-PV
Which rotors do you recommend?

·
Banned
3,229 Posts
All of the calipers (even the Cup cars) that Lotus offers are cast calipers...I don't like that. Even Sector 111 BBKs are all cast calipers.

I also like these calipers, but the piston size is massive compared to the OEM calipers...and you can get them with titanium pistons! I like that even more. Elise Parts - Braking Systems - Brake Calipers - EP Tuning 4 Pot Calipers
I think these are intended to be used without the brake servo and they should be matched up with the smaller ones in the rear.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I changed from DBA 5000 setup yesterday to these.
Seriously Lotus 4 Pot 308mm Brake Upgrade Kit (All S2 Toyota cars) - Braking
I have only bedded them in with the CL RC5+ on the street so no track time yet. They are a direct replacement of stock parts. The whole setup weighs 700gm more than stock per corner.
They do seem to be a lot more powerful than the same pads with the OEM calipers.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I changed from DBA 5000 setup yesterday to these.
Seriously Lotus 4 Pot 308mm Brake Upgrade Kit (All S2 Toyota cars) - Braking
I have only bedded them in with the CL RC5+ on the street so no track time yet. They are a direct replacement of stock parts. The whole setup weighs 700gm more than stock per corner.
They do seem to be a lot more powerful than the same pads with the OEM calipers.
Do you have any idea about fitment vs original calipers?

I need to add 8mm spacers on my current rims just to clear the original calipers with very little clearance. Do you know how much more the face of the caliper (where the wordings are) sticks out compared to stock?

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
+ 1,000,00 I've been running Super Blue since it's been about 6 months old, and the difference is amazing.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK,

so lets say I keep the original calipers. I should get

1. BOE caliper piston upgrades
2. BOE titanium shims? Anyone tried them?
3. Which pads? Ive tried IDI C03 and Endless N35
4. Which rotors? Ive only had experience with DBA 5000 2pc rotors
5. Which fluid? Ive tried IDI and Endless

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Anyone can offer some answers to rotor, fluid and pad choice?

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
OK,

so lets say I keep the original calipers. I should get

1. BOE caliper piston upgrades
2. BOE titanium shims? Anyone tried them?
3. Which pads? Ive tried IDI C03 and Endless N35
4. Which rotors? Ive only had experience with DBA 5000 2pc rotors
5. Which fluid? Ive tried IDI and Endless
my question for you is what type of driving are you doing? 75/25 street track?

cause that matters... pads & rotors sort of depend on the use of your Lotus

searching the forums (via google) can give you a nice amount of knowledge on every one of your questions...

as far as fluid, motul rbf600 or castol SRF are at the top for us (with SRF costing more)

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
my question for you is what type of driving are you doing? 75/25 street track?

cause that matters... pads & rotors sort of depend on the use of your Lotus

searching the forums (via google) can give you a nice amount of knowledge on every one of your questions...

as far as fluid, motul rbf600 or castol SRF are at the top for us (with SRF costing more)
It will be for track. I will probably swap to original pads and rotors for street.

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
I'm just an owner/driver, not a brake expert. But 70% of my miles are track miles. Pick out some good rotors in the stock size, put some good fluid in, put on a set of Pagid Black pads, and call it good. No reason to swap out just for a little street cruise once in a while.

xtn

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm just an owner/driver, not a brake expert. But 70% of my miles are track miles. Pick out some good rotors in the stock size, put some good fluid in, put on a set of Pagid Black pads, and call it good. No reason to swap out just for a little street cruise once in a while.

xtn
I do drive my Exige a lot, maybe 3 days a week. But Im looking for a track only setup as Im getting brake fading problems. The braking force is fine, so Im just looking for a setup that will be able to take more heat.

Still waiting on some advice on which rotors to get.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts