The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to purchase my first Elise and I've noticed that the one I have my eye on has a tear in the fabric of the driver's side seat (probably where your butt hits it on the way in).
Anyone else have the problem? What did you do to fix it? Will the average auto upholstery place be able to handle it?

·
Premium Member
945 Posts
This is a really common issue on higher mileage cars. I need to have this done as well. I would suggest removing the seat and bringing it to an auto upholstery shop. They can remove the material from the shell, remove the material an replace with a durable material that will match the rest of your seats.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Have the same issue... I would love to get some material but not sure where it's sourced.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
My Elise with 11 years on the clock has the same upholstery issue. I once asked the dealer if they could provide me with the same material so I could try to fix it myself. They told me that they could not obtain that material from Lotus. So mine looks the same sadly.

My wife inserted some material in the gap and tried to stitch it together but that only lasted for a few months.

If someone figures out a cheapish repair I'm all ears.

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
685 Posts
Find some material that is as close a match as you can get, or some leather or Alcantra that is close to the rest of the seat. Take the seat out. Take the cover off. Rip the seams apart. Trace out that piece on the new material. Sew the new material to the rest of the seat. Put the cover back on. Put the seat back in. Cost: Spool of upholstery thread and a small amount of material.

I use my grandmother's hand crank Singer, but even a modern Walmart sourced machine would work.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Perhaps someone will come up with a 3D printed or carbon fiber cover for that area to slide over. Not big, it doesn't have to be. Analogous to the covers made for the lower front valence, "chin", protectors that are available.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Does anyone know what type of glue they use to hold the fabric to the seat? I'd like to try adding my own padding that will fit my butt better. But I'm not sure how to put it back together.

·
Registered
118 Posts
What’s your location. I have a set of tan seats I’m considering selling. They’re mint and only have 21k miles on them.

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Awesome!
I’m in High Point, NC. I just bought the lotus today!
Please message me.

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
685 Posts
Does anyone know what type of glue they use to hold the fabric to the seat? I'd like to try adding my own padding that will fit my butt better. But I'm not sure how to put it back together.
Spray glue. I'm using a Permatex brand spray glue now, but traditionally, the 3M 77 stuff is what is used, probably because it's easy. Not for headliners, though. There is a headliner specific one for that to handle the heat. Weldwood Contact Cement is also used.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts