The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my adjustable dampers and stiffer springs on their way and after I have done some track tuning with this setup I expect a stiffened anti-roll bar will be in order to complement the rest of the setup.

Does anyone hnave experience with the uprated anti-roll bars such as the 17mm unit from SJS? Are there other roll bar changes that folks are familiar with (like the sport 350 unit)? I'm doing the track tuning on my V8.

Knut

·
Registered
4,879 Posts
The SE's (like mine) and X180-R have the 17mm sway bar as well.

The SE's also tend to understeer heavily... Though I am able to eliminate the understeer with shock adjustments and some front toe-out.

I have some one off JRZ double adjustable suspension with remote reservoirs and Eibach springs (300 front and 350 rear).

I also read the book written by the founder of JRZ. His preference is to use a softer anti-roll bar, somewhat soft springs, and then use the "platform" of the nitrogen pressure in the remote reservoirs, along with high levels of compression damping, and low rebound damping to provide the most grip and keep the tires following the pavement.

Keep in mind that the Esprit chassis is so soft that it can't take much stiffness from the suspension, the chassis will just twist and the stiff shocks won't be able to do anything. If you had a roll cage like the X180-R, then you could benefit from much stiffer suspension.

Read this
http://www.classicandperformancecar.com/features/octane_features/249580/lotus_esprit_sport_300_vs_sport_350.html

·
Registered
284 Posts
I had a custom built 11/16" ARB whichs results in a 41% stiffer bar than the stock 16 mm. With PUK's poly bushings on all corners, stock springs & shocks and street tires, track days result in mild understeer which I can almost nuetralize, for most corners, with increased rear air pressure. I feel it's as stiff as I dare go. The car still exhibits excess body roll. Just no place for a rear ARB.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts